My Aim Is True 30th anniversary deluxe reissue

Pretty self-explanatory
kilburn_bhoy

Post by kilburn_bhoy »

Looks like the UK release has been pushed back to October the 1st:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Aim-True-Elv ... 435&sr=1-7
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That will give the board members more time to buy it for me for my birthday :lol:

I wonder if there will be any similar offers through UK websites.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

Bewdy, bonzer

i got a call from my dealer yesterday afternoon... i broke the land speed record to get down the shop and grab what he had.

todayworked my way through both discs... an exhilarating ride from the first breath to the final woof!

the Pathway demos are amazing, the Nashville gig absolutely revelatory as is the soundcheck recording on the end.

splendid packaging

buy it

:shock:
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
verbal gymnastics

Don't worry - I will.

I must admit I was a bit worried when I saw the opening line of your post

"I got a call from my dealer yesterday afternoon" :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hopefully my copy , with glass, will be winging it's way to me soon, thanks to a helpful board member. For the moment perhaps someone in the U.S. will have a look at a copy and tell us who wrote ' I Don't Want To Go Home'.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:For the moment perhaps someone in the U.S. will have a look at a copy and tell us who wrote ' I Don't Want To Go Home'.
Elvis.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This site has a lot of information:
http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/maitde.html
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

MOJO wrote:Steven Van Zandt - http://littlesteven.com/songs-idont-z.html
That's a different song. Elvis' version is an original.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks for the clarification.

http://www.imedinews.ge/en/news_read/63641

Album anniversary means little to Costello

September 11, 2007, 05:35 PM
Entertainment, World

NEW YORK, Sept. 11 (UPI) — The 30th anniversary of his debut album has little meaning for British rock icon Elvis Costello.

I've never thought about it, really, Costello said. I'm not a great one on anniversaries or dates. But it flags a certain time. It seems to be a time people reconsider things, so we have to accept the fact that's what the process is.

Costello's attitude hasn't kept his record company from releasing My Aim is True (Deluxe Edition), an expanded version of the 1977 title that fills out the original 13-song album -- which featured the hits Alison and "Watching the Detectives -- with four outtakes, eight demos, a 1977 concert from Nashville and the soundcheck to that show.

The set is part of of an extensive series of reissues and new compilations from Costello's catalog that will be rolling out over the next few years.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Here we go!

Love the quote above on dates/anniversaries. This is the man who wrote 45?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Well, as long as it's good value for my money, I'll buy the re-issues. My copy of MAIT is coming sometime around Friday. It's good to have something to look forward to at the end of the week.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I guess I have to download or buy this thing. Quite honestly, I haven't paid any attention to the re-issue or best of releases. I guess I'm not a hard core fan. However, I am looking forward to new material in 08 (if it happens).
charliestumpy

Ripping off

Post by charliestumpy »

Although I usually happily have enjoyed/bought Costello stuff since 1977, the latest rererererere ... is more sad evidence of his being associated with as bad marketing as that of Elvis Presley.

I am sure as suggested elsewhere that many would happily buy albums of unreleased oddities etc rather than 700th repackaging.
EarlManchester

Re: Ripping off

Post by EarlManchester »

charliestumpy wrote:Although I usually happily have enjoyed/bought Costello stuff since 1977, the latest rererererere ... is more sad evidence of his being associated with as bad marketing as that of Elvis Presley.

I am sure as suggested elsewhere that many would happily buy albums of unreleased oddities etc rather than 700th repackaging.
Ummm, have you looked at what's on the bonus disc?
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:The set is part of of an extensive series of reissues and new compilations from Costello's catalog that will be rolling out over the next few years.
Elvis has already said that there will be reissues upon reissues etc because there is a wealth of material still available relating to each year. There will never be a definitive version of a particular album. There will be rerererereleases which include a new track or few simply because even in 1977 Elvis boasted he had some 400 songs.

Things like I Hear A Melody and Blue Minute aren't exactly songs to set the house ablaze but they are unreleased songs and I'm sure there are plenty more like this yet to see the light of day.

And Charlie - if Elvis bought out the 2nd disc of this reissue only ie without My Aim Is True I'd be happy paying the price for it. In this case I see My Aim Is True as being the bonus disc.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Got my copy last night at Best Buy ($27.99, even though it's not listed on their Web site). Haven't had a chance to listen to it, but I pored over the packaging. The booklet has lyrics to every song, including the alternate takes. However, there are no liner notes, no essay -- just the track list, lyrics and photos. The graphics on the discs are based on the old Stiff label -- a nice touch. The credits page includes a list of ringtones.

I look forward to blasting the discs themselves, even though I'll have nothing to read while they're on.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://wc05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=a ... ouaknkgmdx

All Music Guide

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Given that Universal's 2007 deluxe edition is the third expanded reissue of My Aim Is True, it is a reasonable question to ask whether hardcore fans need to bother with buying the album for a fourth time (or a fifth or sixth, depending how many LPs wore out before CDs) -- to ask whether this double-disc reissue offers anything that the previous double-disc reissue on Rhino, released just six years before, does not, since that Rhino edition had only four cuts on it that weren't on the first expanded edition from Demon/Rykodisc in 1993, suggesting that there might not be much in the vaults that Elvis Costello wanted to release.

As it turns out, Universal's 48-track deluxe edition of Elvis' 1977 debut has a whopping 29 unreleased tracks, most of them coming in the form of a concert at the Nashville Rooms on August 7, 1977, the entirety of which is on the second disc, along with five songs from the soundcheck, four of which they didn't play in the main gig. The other unreleased cuts are demos recorded at Pathway Studios before the debut album was cut. There are eight of these, all but one previously unreleased ("Welcome to the Working Week" surfaced on the Rock and Roll Music comp released earlier in 2007), among them are four previously unheard tunes: "Blue Minute," "Call on Me," "I Don't Want to Go Home," and "I Hear a Melody." None of these are forgotten classics, but none of them are bad -- they're solid, tuneful, clever pub rock that share the same sound and sensibility of the 13 songs that made the finished album, but they're just not as good.

They are certainly worthwhile additions to this expanded edition, as is the excellent live second disc, an energetic, thoroughly entertaining show that contains most of My Aim Is True and a good chunk of tunes that would show up on This Year's Model the following year. Appropriately, the concert serves as a bridge between the two albums: it's rougher and rowdier than the debut, but it's not nearly as frenzied, frazzled, and furious as Model -- the sensibility is much closer to the pumped-up pub rock of My Aim Is True, only without the polish it received in the studio.

So there's plenty of new music here, all of it good-to-excellent -- so what is there to complain about? Mainly, that there are nine songs orphaned on the Rhino expanded edition, including all the "Honky Tonk" demos Elvis recorded in his bedroom that were later aired on Charlie Gillett's BBC show Honky Tonk. Among these are four songs not available elsewhere -- "Cheap Reward," "Jump Up," "Wave a White Flag," "Poison Moon" -- and their absence is regrettable, but they're not as lamented as the lack of the B-side "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself," the alternate "Dallas Version" of "Less Than Zero," and the Flip City demo "Imagination (Is a Powerful Deceiver)," which is among the best of his early material not cut for My Aim Is True.

Although these two discs are packed -- and they do include the early alternate versions of "No Action" and "Living in Paradise," plus "Radio Sweetheart" and "Stranger in the House," two flat-out classics that weren't on the debut because they were too country -- it's hard not to be a bit irked that this deluxe edition falls just short of being definitive because of their absence (and the absence of any new or recycled liner notes, for that matter; maybe Costello is tired of writing liners, or saving all future reminiscences for a memoir), because that means any hardcore fan will need to keep two double-disc versions of My Aim Is True in their collection.

And let's face it, hardcore fans are the audience that would buy a double-disc reissue of an album, whether it's once or twice. And this 2007 deluxe edition has enough great unheard music to make it worth the investment for hardcore fans, since there is no question at all that they will enjoy this second disc immensely, but whether they enjoy it enough to purchase the album all over again? That's all a matter of personal taste, really, or perhaps personal finances.
charliestumpy

'A question of finances' ...

Post by charliestumpy »

People are entitled to their view/to spend or not on yet another CD package ... (15 identically named Elvis Costello CDs in a line on shelf is keeping someone in work producing unneccessary stuff/pollution...).

Interesting how generally there is still only 1 version of Beatles CDs ... ( I didn't say it is a great 24bit digital rendering)

Ah, the good old days when we had maybe a mono & a stereo vinyl, then budget release on MFP/Starline, then 'Taking Liberties', and '10 Bloody Marys..' solely initially on cassette ...

I predict as few sales of version 47 MAIT as of the titles hidden in Wallymart.

I waste just as much money as most people, but will attempt to avoid this further failure to release solely unreleased material.

Probably the complete obsessional has to download all differing bitrate stuff from different download commercial sites (they all sound different).

One looks forward to Dylan/Costello very soon ...

It is very thoughtful of people to rererererererelease things for those who clamour for such purchasing opportunities.

When this latest redundant release is down to £5 like the previous 2 CD bonus disk redoings I might buy if I have space left.
charliestumpy

HMV

Post by charliestumpy »

... online HMV UK at £11.99 seems pretty good (sometimes a bit late despatching titles, but hey, have waited 30 years ...) ...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

You can hear 30 second audioclips on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 1&s=143441
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jillbeast

Woohoo! So worth it!

Post by jillbeast »

It's totally great to hear...but I'm an EC nutter!

I love him...this stuff is so great!

I'm high just off the bits I've heard in the last 15 minutes as I've started listening...

Yeah, I'm an Elvis freak! And now I have a pint glass to drink from if I like...

Jill
verbal gymnastics

Re: Woohoo! So worth it!

jillbeast wrote:And now I have a pint glass to drink from if I like...
You're not actually thinking of using the pint glass are you? :shock: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

U.K. competition to win copies of this -

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=J ... Scdw_3d_3d

My Aim is True is released on 24th September 2007.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/09/14/191718.php

Music Review: Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True (Deluxe Edition)Written by Eric Whelchel
Published September 14, 2007

By my count, this is approximately the 54th time My Aim Is True has been reissued. Rykodisc reissued the CD a number of years ago, followed by Rhino’s 2001 two-disc reissue, which seemed to close the book on Elvis Costello’s debut album. The 2001 reissue, besides being loaded with vintage-era photos, posters, and promos, included liner notes penned by Costello himself, which were both funny and informative. They were also the closest thing to a Costello autobiography fans might ever get. Plus, they placed the album in the context of Costello’s life at that time. In short, it had all the makings of the final word for this album.

Then, in 2007, Hip-O reissued the album, in digipack format with “original packagingâ€