Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Well, I'm glad that you're glad that I'm glad (Whoo...chain-tastic). Y'all here at forum make me feel very welcomed. And if we're related, we just have to go on Family Feud.

And I just found out I won't be getting my copy of MAIT 30th until about the fourteenth. Oh well, it's probably for the best. I have off school for Rosh Hashanah, so I can spend a day with it like the good fan I am. If I got it on Tuesday, I might have ignored other, more pressing things...like reading about the Progressives for American Studies.

And now...back to Biology! Awaaay!!!!
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Having been on a stag do on Saturday I rather rashly (ie 10 pints later it was a good idea) decided to come out of football retirement and play vets football again.

I am hoping that when I am at the pub on Wednesday I am not reminded of this...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Having that midlife crisis right on schedule, VG? :P

How many pages are too many when you're reading a bad book? I read 100+ of the worst piece of garbage (Robin Cook - why? why? what was I thinking???) the title now escapes me but it was about a fertility clinic. Just AWFUL. So, I finally said to hell with it and put it in the Goodwill stack (which is sooo not charitable of me - I should burn the goddamn thing, but hey some idiot might enjoy it). That's only the second time I can remember giving up on a book.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I don't know if I've ever given up on a novel. Which is a foolish use of time, now that I come to think of it. I will put down non-fiction, however, if it isn't engaging me.

And on an unrelated note, I can't decide if I should feel sorry for Britney Spears or not.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I was wondering that same thing about Britney. Damn, she looked like she overdosed on valium before the show. She had people helping her around the state like she was an invalid. Thank goodness there were other dancers on the stage to look at. It looked like she had ripped off some moves from Madonna but didn't have the energy to carry them out.

Wow, K-Fed must be real sorry he got rid of her. :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I didn't realise vg was a vet.

Which war did you fight?

Do vets play football with pigs bladders?
signed with love and vicious kisses
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I have been visiting family in Indiana for a few days. My flight back to Dallas today was cancelled due to bad weather in DFW. I have another flight scheduled for tomorrow 9/11. Not my fav day to be flying.

I will not let the damn terrorists win! :x
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

mood swung wrote:That's only the second time I can remember giving up on a book.
You didn't give up the first time, you just put it to one side until you were sufficiently prepared to read it properly.

Yours,

Mr Q
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

My dear Mr. Q, I am not talking about Ulysses. I finished that mother, and I think I ought to get some kind of goddamn merit badge for doing so! This was some equally boring, pretentious, tiny-typed, shiny-paged 1.5 gazillion word 4.5 pound package of toilet paper. I do not recall the name, but the QPBC rated it highly, so there you go. Beware the book club rec!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You mean you didn't flick through it in super skeptical mode first to see if it wasn't interesting?? Not that I read much fiction but I stand there inspecting a book until I irritate the person at the shop.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Great line-up for the next Indiana Jones film : Ford (obviously), Cate Blanchett and three of my favourite British actors : John Hurt, Jim Broadbent and Ray Winstone.
I can't wait.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

mood swung wrote:Having that midlife crisis right on schedule, VG? :P
Yup - I'm going out to look at sports cars later and to look at getting my ear pierced.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Ear, and not belly button, Verbal? :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Do both ears, VG. And get some big fat hoops. It'll be a good look for you.

'boo, this was a mail order book club that I join every few years when they make me feel special enough.
verbal gymnastics

spooky girlfriend wrote:Ear, and not belly button, Verbal? :lol:
A belly button piercing won't match my intended Miami Vice (Original version) look. The sports car, the ear piercing and a jacket that looks like a tablecloth, with rolled up sleeves, white trousers and espadrills. Tres chic as they say in the French circles.
mood swung wrote:Do both ears, VG. And get some big fat hoops. It'll be a good look for you.
Thanks. I think :lol: But the above look will be the one that gets the ladies ravishing me don't you think?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Sure, Verbal. We'll adore you almost as much as we do Elvis. :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

mood swung wrote:My dear Mr. Q, I am not talking about Ulysses. I finished that mother, and I think I ought to get some kind of goddamn merit badge for doing so!
yes I said I will Yes

Glad you made it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

And I'm glad that you're glad. Now we're all warm and fuzzy.

I want my 10? 12? 487? hours back.
verbal gymnastics

spooky girlfriend wrote:Sure, Verbal. We'll adore you almost as much as we do Elvis. :lol:
That's a step down. I thought you all currently love me more than Elvis. :lol:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote:This was some equally boring, pretentious, tiny-typed, shiny-paged 1.5 gazillion word 4.5 pound package of toilet paper/ .
So... it was good value, then? :lol: :wink:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote:'boo, this was a mail order book club that I join every few years when they make me feel special enough.
mood, is that like a reading club or something like that? where you get together with people who read the book?

Once we read Huckleberry Finn at school and we all had to be on the same page... the teacher kind of missed the point I think.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

It's just a mail order book store, 'boo. Five books for five bucks is their initial offer, and they have good stuff usually. I just forget to send the 'no thanks' things back and end up shipping stuff back, so I quit and then they send me letters and emails saying how much they miss me and if I'll just join again, I'll get an overnight bag to carry my five books for five bucks around... I have taken a vow to not BUY any books until I have read all the piles and stacks around my house. However, the library is fair game.

I have never been in a book discussion group. I wouldn't be able to keep up!

Verbal, I love you more than Elvis. At least until he decides to get back to doing what he does best. :lol:
verbal gymnastics

mood swung wrote:I have never been in a book discussion group. I wouldn't be able to keep up!
Mrs VG is in a book club with three of her girlie mates. She has a great time. They meet once a month and the book is just a sideline although in fairness they do all read their given book. The talk about the book lasts about a nanosecond and then they drink.

It's also been good in that they go out socially to a lot of nice places too.
mood swung wrote:Verbal, I love you more than Elvis. At least until he decides to get back to doing what he does best. :lol:
And when he does that (whatever it may be) I shall be asking "Why don't you love me like you used to do?" :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Oh, Verbal, you know I try to contain my love for you publicly. You know how I *really* feel. :wink:

And Moody, you shouldn't need a book club to feel loved. We love you here!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote: I'll get an overnight bag to carry my five books for five bucks around...
:) Bonus! You should have no shortage of door stops, mood. Just watch out for the door slammer.
mood swung wrote:I have taken a vow to not BUY any books until I have read all the piles and stacks around my house. However, the library is fair game.
Ah yes, the library. Our school had a loud recorded buzz they used in the library so as to block out disturbing sounds. It was very effective. Next time I visit my noisy local library I want one in my music player.