Have you heard this?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Have you heard this?

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM

Feist - 1 2 3 4

It's getting a bit of airplay. I can't get over how similar her voice sounds to Joanna Newsome. Less eccentric, but with some incredibly similar moments.

There seems to be an endless supply of American solo performers to fall in love with - Joanna and her golden harp sounding like no-one ever before with Ys; Regina Spektor with her gorgeous voice, piano skills, witty words, and utter loveliness; Cat Power and the brilliance of The Greatest. Feist looks a bit like Chan here, and sounds just like a blend of Newsome and Spektor.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

She's a Canuck, Otis.

The one I really find exciting is St. Vincent. Check it out...

http://www.myspace.com/stvincent
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Better still! And Regina's Russian, but what the hell.

St Vincent sounds interesting. Playing Cambridge tomorrow! Just not the one I'm in... Anyone with Mike Garson guesting is OK by me.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

She does a cover of Ron Sexsmith's Secret Heart; I think it's one of her better known tracks. Perhaps they are pals. Everyone in Canada knows everyone else, right? :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZ1Gd5qjc4

Didn't know that. I'm liking her more by the minute.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

She does a pretty good version of Nina Simone's "See Line Woman" titled "Sea Lion"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Her new album is pretty good, but I think I like "Let It Die" better... I always skip the first track on "The Reminder," which I don't think I should have to do!
Otis Westinghouse

She was on BBC2 Radio last night. She sure sounds Canadian. I don't think she played 1 2 3 4. Liked what she did play, though not as much. I like the fact that her surname is Feist and her performing name is this.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:The one I really find exciting is St. Vincent. Check it out...

http://www.myspace.com/stvincent
If any of you would like a free download of the St. Vincent album courtesy of yours truly, go to:

http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/promo/

Then enter the UPC code: 607618025410

and the secret code: marryKYNC5VD9

Only two downloads left, so get 'em while you can!
Otis Westinghouse

I bagged one of them! Good on you. Will listen with interest, once back from my hols.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I bagged one of them! Good on you. Will listen with interest, once back from my hols.
Enjoy your holidays!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

...and I got the other one, many thanks!
Interesting feature on her here, sounds good, hope she makes it over here soon. Feist is due around here soon, must check out her album. Next Dublin gig I'm going to is by Battles, Mirrored is a real grower, I'm sure it'll be even better live.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Gotta love the Feist. Ron co-wrote this track on the new album, nice and sublime:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=VMGq_6GouyI

And a poppier tune, also from The Reminder:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrNCCx2p5U
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Both great. That Brandy Alexander (great title!) sounds very Ron.

I forgot she existed and also the St Vincent treat. Holidays were great, thanks, WSS!
Otis Westinghouse

On a different theme, have you heard the new Richard Hawley single, Tonight The Streets Are Ours? I both love and hate it. It's catchy, it's pleasant to listen to, but I'm already more than sick of the whole retro thing. He sounds like he wants to become Roy Orbison here.

Hildathenoo agrees with me here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBkrs4YpzI

I don't think I could survive another LP of this.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Then don't buy it. Nobody's forcing it on you. It's the first time I've heard the song and on a first impression it's not one of my favorite tunes of his, but I have yet to hear any of the rest of the album and the first single usually tends to be the most radio-friendly song, so I will wait until I hear it a few more times and get a chance to listen to the rest of the album before passing judgment.

He's done 3-4 albums that are all in a similar style, but I love all of them and wouldn't want to hear him straining to do something that he is not comfortable doing. The thing I love about the guy is that he is as genuine as they come - no BS.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Indeed, Richard's a great showman, much better live than on record. Nice piece in this mornings Guardian, I'd say he could keep you up all night telling stories of life on the road. I bought a copy of the single, first single I've bought in ages, this afternoon even though I haven't heard it. There's a sniffy review in either the new Uncut or Mojo, so he may have one album too many with the same sound. Whatever, he's a trouper and will make many more albums, presuming he comes to his senses and cuts back on the ciggies.
Otis Westinghouse

Was just enjoying that interview myself and the 'Eh up lad, thee were grand' Sheffieldness of it all.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

martinfoyle wrote:Indeed, Richard's a great showman, much better live than on record. Nice piece in this mornings Guardian, I'd say he could keep you up all night telling stories of life on the road. I bought a copy of the single, first single I've bought in ages, this afternoon even though I haven't heard it. There's a sniffy review in either the new Uncut or Mojo, so he may have one album too many with the same sound. Whatever, he's a trouper and will make many more albums, presuming he comes to his senses and cuts back on the ciggies.
Mojo review was fairly negative - sort of "more of the same". Uncut was much more favorable - "This is who he is - why try to change him?". I'll be getting the new album. Even if it's a cut below Coles Corner and Lowedges, I'm sure it will provide a lot of pleasure.

There's a lovely acoustic version of "Streets" here. Think I like it better in this context...

http://www.mediafire.com/?6vxxjqs2yjc
Otis Westinghouse

I've only seen one review of the new Josh Rouse LP, titled something like Town Mouse, Country House, which was in the Jersey Evening Post, not where I normally read my reviews! It gave it one star and was one of the most savage reviews in memory. Essentially it was 'how has a once great songwriter come to this?', so by an ex-fan. Just said it was boring drivel. Subtitulo was definitely a decline after the tremendously good and endlessly listenable Nashville (on which every song is strong - one of those LPs whose consistency was amazing), so maybe the sun, sea and sangría of Spain have rotted his brain. Time to move on, Josh. Anyone seen any other reviews yet?
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

They're talking bollocks. For a start they got the name of the album wrong, it's 'Country Mouse, City House' and secondly it's a lovely record, that to me sits neatly alongside '1972' whilst taking the calmer elements of 'Subtitulo' and actually doing something with them. That more relaxed, er, Spanish feel certainly suits him, but I don't think the last album demonstrated any kind of ambition, whereas this one sounds like the album I would have expected to follow on from 'Nashville' and a move to Spain. I think it's a lovely album, and would recommend it to anyone who's enjoyed Josh in the past. Let's face it, he was never going to bring out an album sounding like Tom Waits or Wilco, and I think, as with Richard Hawley, often the press decide that after liking an act for a while they should probably turn against them for a bit. Very few artists vary their style dramatically, and a lot of the complaints seem to be that he's too samey. For me, the Rouse is like the Crowded House. If you play it one you'll think it's dull, but give it multiple listens and it starts to unfurl its charms. Much the same as with Ryan Adams who I saw you were uncertain about on another thread, Otis.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bad Ambassador wrote:I think, as with Richard Hawley, often the press decide that after liking an act for a while they should probably turn against them for a bit.
Seems to be the case with UK music media, especially.
Otis Westinghouse

I've only seen Richard Hawley referred to by everyone as an annointed saint, or have I missed something? The backlash routine is as old as the hills. Surely the US critics do that too?

The Jersey Evening Post doesn't qualify as UK media! I wouldn't exactly pay much attention to them, but the review was so negative it made me pay attention. Online reviews I've checked are more encouraging, but not as keen as you are. Agree entirely about lack of ambition on the last, and if this one (which I was mistitling with the kids' story in mind, not the paper!) follows on from Nashville well, I'll be happy.

I can imagine Ryan A might be a mutliple play merchant. I actually watched most of a re-run of that show. (Did you see it? It's always a lovely setting with the lit up tree outside the window.) I was sorting out my CDs, so thought why not? And yes, certain songs grew on me. Subtitulo frustrated me in that it didn't have that effect.

One review mentioned the entirely unSpanish feel to the Spanish backing band on the new one, which is interesting. I guess it would have been pretty corny if he suddenly started flinging in some Flamenco guitar, etc.

OK, checking out the iTunes samples for the LP... It Looks Like Love sounds like Nashville revisited. Already it's sounding better than the last.

Pitchfork (I think it was) were taking him to task over his lyrics, which I have to admit are often pretty anodyne. I like them where they fit the song well, but it's true they're generally unlikely to do much to change your life, which is what I always want lyrics to do!