What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Lords of Dogtown soundtrack.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

It was Tweedy on guitar for most of "Ghost" but its Nels Cline on the new record - and though I enjoy it, its not my favourite Wilco record, I think 'Summerteeth' and 'Yankee .." are both much better.

Im still listening in amazement to Ryan Adams' '29'. It blows me away every time I listen to it, which has been pretty much non stop. Strawberry Wine, Nightbirds, Carolina Rain, Elizabeth, You Were Born to Play That Part, Starlight Diner , Blue Sky Blues (Has Tweedy been listening?) - in fact I love every song.

I got "Cold Roses" today so will be interested to see how it compares. But for me '29' is gonna be hard to top.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mike Boom wrote:It was Tweedy on guitar for most of "Ghost" but its Nels Cline on the new record - and though I enjoy it, its not my favourite Wilco record, I think 'Summerteeth' and 'Yankee .." are both much better.
I must listen to YHF a bit more. It didn't grab me much at first, though the sheer awfulness of the singing on the opening track didn't help. I like the idea of music that's subtle and low-key, but with memorable songs that avoid blandness and dullness. They seem to have got that formula.

The little I've heard of Ryan A hasn't grabbed me, but this could be influenced by his wankerishness. 29 sounds like a must hear.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

corruptio optimi pessima
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Thats a great record Jackson.

Currently continuing my Ryan Adams journey with "Cold Roses", which is great, a ton of awesome songs like "Magnolia Mountain" , "Meadowlake Street" , "Easy Plateau" , "Let It Ride" and "Friends", all brilliant and Im sure the others will sink in with more plays.

Seems more of a 'typical' album in that there are a lot of mid-paced country-ish toons, nothing as 'stripped back' or as stark and startling as the songs on 29 which to me is really more of a 'Tonights the Night' "Blood on the Tracks" or "On the Beach' type record - ie one of those emotionally raw /genius records that artists are only capable of once or twice in a career.

Still, having said that "Cold Roses" shows a fantastic songwriter at work, with a great band, especially love the pedal steel work. Fantastic stuff indeed!
echos myron like a siren
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

invisible Pole wrote:Boo, is she very popular in Australia or just a critics' darling ?
Massively popular. Her first album The Sound Of White had 4 or 5 top 40 hits, with Scar and The Special Two being particularly huge. She hasn't looked back. Now she has some new songs all over the radio from her recently released new album, produced by Mitchell Froom.

Scar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZe0RHPk6xk
The Special Two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GiIg0eBIg

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This 1969 "lost" soul album was recently unearthed by Hacktone Records. It's really quite good... very comparable in style to The Temptations, but with a lot more of a southern soul influence.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Simply beautiful.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

It's Prefab Sprout week! I've been playing the reissue. The re-mastered original CD is sounding great, and, as Jackson has commented, the bonus of newly recorded acoustic versins is a lovely addition. Interestingly, he edits out the weaker moments (Horsin' Around, Blueberry Pies, though still perfectly listenable) and reorders things. The deeper, older voice does work well. It's an amazing collection of fantastic songs. I loved it back in the day and love it still. Desire As is an absolute cracker.

I never got any of their records after this. From Langley Park to Memphis had the two great hits King Of Rock 'n' Roll and Cars and Girls, but it was all getting a bit too knowing and commercial. I haven't heard Jordan, which I will obviously need to amend. I loved Swoon, some great swongs on it in addition to the classic (and EC covered) Cruel.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Paddy's most underrated record
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Synchronicity! Wow, it really is Prefab Sprout week.

Tell us more about the above and what makes it great.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Catchy melodies, gorgeous harmonies, and beautiful songs full of the wonder of love and life. I listen to different music for different reasons. I listen to Prefab Sprout to be reminded of how good it is to be alive and in love. Andromeda Heights does not disappoint in that respect. Some thought it too 'nice' and 'cheesy' but I'm a sentimental and nostalgic kind of guy. I'd have bought it just on the strength of the lines:

Should I live to see someone smarter than me
Explain the secrets of the skies
I won't be too impressed, I've got a tougher test
What's going on behind your eyes ?

Its all twinkling stars and shimmering love songs. I just love it and it cheers me up when I'm down. But then, so do all the sprout albums.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds like classic Sprout. And who else might write:

In whose bed you gonna be and is it true you only see
Desire as a self-figured creature who changes her mind?

On a different note, yes, my one and only purchase of The Mail on Sunday to get this for £1.40:

I like Guitar, and some of it is definitely listenable, but it seems to me like everything else of his from the last 15 or so years that I've heard (which is a small percentage), a pale shadow of the genius of his creative zenith.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Earth-Pr ... 336&sr=1-5

Worth £1.40 for sure!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Bamboo- If you like Missy you might like Holly Brook. She hasn't struck it big yet. She has only one album out and she's Sarah McLachlin-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vdc4nc ... ed&search=
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

On a different note, yes, my one and only purchase of The Mail on Sunday to get this for £1.40:

I like Guitar, and some of it is definitely listenable, but it seems to me like everything else of his from the last 15 or so years that I've heard (which is a small percentage), a pale shadow of the genius of his creative zenith.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Earth-Pr ... 336&sr=1-5

Worth £1.40 for sure![/quote]

Good review of this disc, Otis. It's good, but it's not too special. But it's definitely worth the money! :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

8)
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:... my one and only purchase of The Mail on Sunday to get this for £1.40:
... Worth £1.40 for sure!
Agreed.
The disc is very suitable for replay, and the newspaper for recycling.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

great title, so-so album.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

mood swung wrote:Image

great title, so-so album.
Heard one song of theirs (courtesy of ReadyToHearTheWorst) , She Has A Girlfriend Now, and I have to say I quite liked it : lots of horns, upbeat, ska music. Is the album like that ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yep, it is. and the guy from Smash Mouth guests on a couple. Like Tim Armstrong said, it's impossible to write a hateful ska song. :D
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

ice nine wrote:Bamboo- If you like Missy you might like Holly Brook. She hasn't struck it big yet. She has only one album out and she's Sarah McLachlin-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vdc4nc ... ed&search=
Am checking her out now, thanks.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Turn to Stone, Time Out, County Fair, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Song for Emma.
echos myron like a siren
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and a snappy ensemble to boot! Me and a friend came up with a plot to "free" (or kidnap, depending on your interpretation) him from The Eagles when they passed thru k-town, charging the ungodly amount of $21.00 for general admission tickets.

The Puerto Rican rum was our undoing.