Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

As for the exchange between Mike Hawk and Wordtobird...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:As for the exchange between Mike Hawk and Wordtobird...
:D

It's a nice rivalry.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

From : http://www.uefa.com/magazine/news/kind= ... r&att=text

Hello, is it me you're booing for?
Speaking of the twin worlds of celebrity and football, last weekend saw a soccer star wedding bonanza in England where internationals John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Michael Carrick and Gary Neville all tied the knot in a variety of demure ceremonies. Top of the pops was Terry's bash, which starred singer and ceiling dancer Lionel Richie. However, the ex-Commodore did not go down so well, his introduction: "I had better open the show with Hello since it is going to be in that magazine next week," not impressing the guests, especially as the rights had in fact gone to rival periodical OK! Soon Richie was being heckled by an audience containing the likes of Wayne Rooney, Jamie Carragher and Frank Lampard and a witness was quoted as saying: "When he started singing Hello the boys started chanting back to him as if they were on the football ground terraces. They had downed so much champagne at the reception the guests became really lairy and started shouting over his set. In the end he asked the crowd to be quiet and said, 'I've only got two more songs, please stick with me.' When he came off stage he moaned to one of the organisers, 'I imagine this is what it's like at a working men's club'." Still, he reported €370,000 fee may have softened the blow.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

And from the same page Jose Mourinho on the similarity between football players and melons. :lol:

Fruit of his labours
Finally, Terry's boss José Mourinho has revealed the secret of bringing through budding talents to top-level football. "Young players are a little bit like melons," Mourinho told Chelsea's official magazine. "Only when you open and taste the melon are you 100 per cent sure that the melon is good. Sometimes you have beautiful melons but they don't taste very good and some other melons are a bit ugly and when you open them, the taste is fantastic … One thing is youth football, one thing is professional football. The bridge is a difficult one to cross and they have to play with us and train with us for us to taste the melon. For example, Scott Sinclair, the way he played against Arsenal and Man United, we know the melon we have." Bet he's flattered.
Otis Westinghouse

I do believe Sir Alex Ferguson has got his hands on a pair of fine young melons this summer, and not for the first time! Talking of which, my City-loving (with increasing difficulty and despair!) chum sent me this last week in a message entitled 'the horror'!

Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

invisible Pole wrote:And from the same page Jose Mourinho on the similarity between football players and melons. :lol:

Fruit of his labours
Finally, Terry's boss José Mourinho has revealed the secret of bringing through budding talents to top-level football. "Young players are a little bit like melons," Mourinho told Chelsea's official magazine. "Only when you open and taste the melon are you 100 per cent sure that the melon is good. Sometimes you have beautiful melons but they don't taste very good and some other melons are a bit ugly and when you open them, the taste is fantastic … One thing is youth football, one thing is professional football. The bridge is a difficult one to cross and they have to play with us and train with us for us to taste the melon. For example, Scott Sinclair, the way he played against Arsenal and Man United, we know the melon we have." Bet he's flattered.
Mourinho my be a successful manager but he is a twat!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yes!!! He's back. Alert the secretaries at Eastlands!

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

..and a picture from Hillsborough today. :shock: :shock:

Otis Westinghouse

No shit. The flooding here is shocking and there's more rain to come. Whole villages are completely flooded, a dam near Rotherham (near Sheffield) is threatening to break, etc. Not a problem in realtively dry Cambridge and the south/south east in general, but serious stuff in many counties of midlands and north.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Strange times indeed. Not so long ago Yorkshire was having water shipped in 'cos of drought.
But I always thought that water flowed down the map, so how come the South has stayed dry?
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It's due to all of the hot air coming from Downing Street.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Argies 4 USA Reserves 1 in Copa America.

Great first hour for the USA, doing all the little things right. Then the Argies picked up the pace and we got sloppy. Still, a very very good performance under the circumstances. I never want to see Twellman in a USA shirt again. Totally fucking useless.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Oh dear - Spurs have signed Darren Bent! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:Oh dear - Spurs have signed Darren Bent! :roll:
Another striker - just what you need.

And Liverpool get Torres for a jaw-dropping £27 million. That's a lot for 14 goals - 10 of them from open play.

Is all of this money being thrown around destroying football? Of course not.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Everyone looks so chummy in this picture. And they also look like Godzilla is on the rampage. I hate the pinstripes.
Twellman ... Totally fucking useless.
well, duh.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:D :D

Someone said the blue pinstripe shirts look like pajamas. I agree.

Twellman has a very punchable face, doesn't he? What's with the tight shirts?
Otis Westinghouse

Torres still to be confirmed. It's silly money in itself, but Liverpool badly need a top class striker, not a giraffe. If he fits in and delivered, they won't regret that spend. He's only 23, has loads of potential, and could make a big difference (regardless of goals scored last season at average Atletico). A much bigger one than the £30m+ spent on Sheva.

Bent is a good piece of business for Spurs. Why on earth are you complaining, Gilli? Too many players? Bah! He's a good player who deserves a bigger club than Charlton were ever going to be.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Some perspective Otis. We were pilloried for paying £3 million less than that for Drogs, who had scored more than twice as many goals as Torres in his last year at Marseille. And Sheva, who was such an incredible bust, scored more goals than Torres last season, if you take away El Niño's penalties.

Torres could turn out to be worth it, but it's a bit of a gamble, to say the least.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Bent is a good piece of business for Spurs. Why on earth are you complaining, Gilli? Too many players? Bah! He's a good player who deserves a bigger club than Charlton were ever going to be.
Here, here!!

I don't get the moaning. Ok, so he's overpriced (who isn't these days?) but he's got a track record of scoring goals in the prem, has bags of strength and pace and is honest as the day is long. He's also a very different type of player to the other three strikers. He also wanted to be at our club so badly that he reportedly agreed to take 25k less per week than Spurs reserves (aka WHU) were offering.

Most importantly it will finally mean cheerio to that fat injury prone Egyptian! 8)

Keane,Berba,Defoe and Bent? I can't see much wrong with that!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Little Jermain's gonna be happy about it.

It's interesting to see how concerned everyone is for SWP's development at Chelsea when Defoe is in a similar position at Spurs and we don't hear a peep about it. Hypocrites.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Little Jermain's gonna be happy about it.

It's interesting to see how concerned everyone is for SWP's development at Chelsea when Defoe is in a similar position at Spurs and we don't hear a peep about it. Hypocrites.
Jermain has hardly suffered like SWP :?

He's very happy at Spurs and the boy has a good attitude. I don't see what the problem is. He played 30 games last season, which is 3 more than Robbie Keane and only three less than Berbatov. I may be wrong, but unless there's a mega offer, he'll be a valuable part of the continuing Spurs revolution next season.

All decent sides need four class strikers for a serious campaign and I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if we let him go.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

SWP has a good attitude as well. That's never been the issue.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Now that could be a serious blow to Chelsky (or maybe he just wants his wage to go up) :

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... ons+future#

Drogba questions future

Chelsea's Didier Drogba claims he is not yet certain to start the new season at Stamford Bridge.

The Ivorian hit-man had a sensational campaign with The Blues last term - bagging 33 goals and again emerging as one of the most feared strikers in Europe.

However, Drogba - linked with a possible move to Italy - insists he has not yet made up his mind whether to remain in West London.

"You want to know if I will still return to Chelsea? I will reply to that when I am ready. For now I am having a deserved vacation," he told The Sun.

"I love the English league and may not be in a hurry to leave England if you insist.

"But it's difficult to really predict what I want to do in the next week.

"I have been working hard and would love to win the Champions League with Chelsea.

"But, for now, let's just wait and see. I'm at the last big turning point of my career.

"It's time for one final big choice: 'Should I stay or should I go?'

"I am tempted to discover another world and to see what footballing life is like outside England."
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

At this rate we're not going to have any players left. Complete nonsense.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

the boredom is driving them away. :wink:
signed with love and vicious kisses