iMacca

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Those in NYC take note:

Paul McCartney set to play “secret showâ€
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

This insightful review makes me keen(er) to check it out:

http://www.kingblind.com/2007_06_01_mic ... 4867689579

Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full (Album Review)

It must be tough being Paul McCartney. You can make a fantastic album, full of superbly clever musical tricks (we'll be coming back to Nod Your Head later) and infectiously catchy silly little pop songs, but no matter how good they are, your listeners sit there expecting the music they're hearing to not only entertain them for 45 minutes but to change modern society, if not the world. It's as if making good music isn't quite enough.

Because have no doubt about it, Memory Almost Full is an album full of perfect pop songs, which borrow and rework musical themes and motifs from across 40 years of McCartney's career. At times it sounds like the kind of late '60s sunshine psychedelica that changed the musical landscape forever (You Tell Me), at times like a trip inside the mind of someone who's ingested more LSD than you can imagine in your lifetime (Only Mama Knows, Mr Bellamy - a Dr Robert for the 21st century - and Feet in the Clouds to name just three), and at times like Macca has been listening to too much Led Zep, until you remember that everything Led Zep knew, they learned from The Beatles.

At times, in its least pretentious, soft-rock moments, there are tracks here that could be left overs from Wings (See Your Sunshine, Vintage Clothes) and those that hark back more to McCartney's solo work of the early '80s (Ever Present Past).

You can hear snippets and reminders of many other bands across Memory Almost Full. The Raconteurs in Only Mama Knows; Led Zep, Queen and Scissor Sisters in the rollicking pomp-rock of Gratitude, Pink Floyd in The End Of The End, but this is showcasing how much McCartney has influenced them as much as vice-versa. He's only taking back what he gave in the first place.

There are also songs that are pure McCartney, that you could find on any album he's released (and there have been more than 30, in total) from Star Club bootlegs to Chaos and Creation In The Back Yard. There's the skiffle influences of UK knees-ups that lay at the heart of the Quarrymen evident in Dance Tonight, Ever Present Past and You Tell Me, the Indian strings the Beatles dragged into British rock on the drug-soaked Mr Bellamy, and the rock'n'roll he took from the Star Club's covers through the early Beatles albums, The White Album, and back again. That Was Me could have come from the Let It Be sessions. His weakness for sentimental piano ballads gets the better of him in places, and he wanders into Silly Little Love Songs on Vintage Clothes and You Tell Me. But they're still brilliant.

Does this make it, as the title Memory Almost Full might suggest, a retrospective album? An old man looking back on his past glories? Perhaps, but McCartney was never the one who wanted to change the world. He's the man who, despite having taken in more chemicals than SmithKlineBeecham in his life, is still seen as a cuddly uncle in a boring Cardigan. But you know that he doesn't care.

Listen to the tricks hidden amidst the surface simplicity of this album and tell me he's not a genius. The End of the End is When I'm 64 come full circle - an old man singing about his twilight years with the knowledge of maturity rather than a young tyke playing at the same. There's a maudlin undertone that's knowing in a way he couldn't have been 40 years ago, while incorporating a whistle solo that shows staggering confidence. The flipside of this is the lyrics to Mr Bellamy: "I'm not coming down, no matter what you say / I like it up here anyway," followed by "Nobody's going to hold my hand". When you can reference yourself and know that your entire audience will get it, you know you've made it.

But the crowning glory, the moment which should convince you that there is a connection between Paul McCartney and the musical godhead that you will never touch no matter how much LSD you neck, is the final track. Over an infectious bass line that makes you unable to resist a little gentle head banging comes the lyrics: "If you really love me, nod your head." And that, dear readers, is true, true genius.
- Jenni Cole
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Its a great album - Ive been listening to it a lot , and it really takes hold after a few listens, definitely gets in your head, and you start whistling, humming, singing the songs long after youve turned the music off. The best thing about it is the singing. He really sings better than Ive heard in a long long time, and Macca singing at full blast, is really something to hear, and what a difference it makes. Even the weaker songs are redeemed by the vocals, and often the bass too, which is brilliant on just about every track. Am loving "House of Wax", "Mr Bellamy", "Mama Knows" and "Nod Your Head". Hope he can keep this up, if so, the next record should be a real treat.

...meanwhile Mr Costello is off writing an opera or whatever ..... how things change.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That tallies with the strength of his singing on Later. No evidence of ageing. Hitting the high notes, sounding very at ease.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

That review hits the nail on the head. Compare McCartney's solo career to, say, Elton John's, which began around the same time. Now EJ gets cuts slack repeatedly for lacklustre records, whereas Paul has to always go against the Beatles legend. If every record released was compared to the Beatles, we wouldn't get very far. On the occasions where it seems Paul hasn't delivered, it's usually interesting, along the lines of "what was he thinking?"

Memory Almost Full is very good indeed. Living with it for 10 days now, it has a lot to offer. I still skip "Gratitude" though.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I do not skip Gratitude. I've been skipping Nod Your Head, because it's sort of hard to get past the first minute, but I promise, I will try very hard to stop skipping it. Well, here's my ranking (the ones towards the bottom have been most easily skipped, although I don't always skip them):

1. You Tell Me
2. Vintage Clothes
3. Only Mama Knows
4. Mister Bellamy
5. Feet in the Clouds
6. Dance Tonight
7. Gratitude
8. Ever Present Past
9. End of the End
10. That Was Me
11. House of Wax
12. See Your Sunshine
13. Nod Your Head

Blue, I love that cashier conversation.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Guardian not too favourable. They single out your 1, 4 and 11 as the standouts:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/reviews/sto ... 05,00.html
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

More than a week later, Memory Almost Full has grown on me, but I would still rank Chaos and Creation higher and Flaming Pie way higher. But this one is better than Driving Rain.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The late Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney - http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92mfarley.phtml

Couldn't find it on youtube but it's on google video - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9548684792
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

My Memory Almost Full was stolen out of my vehicle on 7/7/07... :cry:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.