iMacca

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

iMacca

Post by Mike Boom »

With McCartneys catalogue now on iTunes, its brilliant to be able to go through all those mediocre and sub par albums and grab the two or three gems that are always there. Listening to snippets of the songs Ive been amazed how much of this stuff is actually REALLY great stuff. "Flaming Pie", "Driving Rain", hell, who knew that "Back to the Egg" had so many kickin rock n rollers on it? Not me, thats for sure. "Tug of War", "London Town", these all have a slew of exceptional stuff I was compeletly unaware of.
Of course theres a lot of crap, but what a treat to be able to nab the good stuff. I'll post a list of the best stuff I find once Ive been through it all.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

McCartney has always been given a bum rap as far as I'm concerned. Flaming Pie and Tug Of War (despite the inclusion of "Ebony & Ivory") are both terrific albums, and sure, he's got a few mediocre records but so does Dylan.

Having listened to some of the samples on iTunes, it seems a lot of the earlier stuff has been remastered again (the current remasters on the market are from 1993 and don't sound this good). I hope a physical reissues program will follow now that all of this stuff is on iTunes.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I dunno. I gave his last one a chance and thought it was a steaming pile of poo. IMO of course.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

There is truly gold buried in those hills. I might go ahead an post a list of favorites myself.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The new one has had some praise. Kitty Empire in Observer basically said it was pro-Paul propaganda, and that the title, Memory Almost Full is an anagram of For My Soulmate LLM. Elsewhere they just said it had some great songs.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

For latter day Macca, I recommend Flamng Pie, Flowers in the Dirt, and the last one. Again, the standard he is held to is pretty high. Judged by most standards, these are all great albums.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

For anyone's information, here's an iTunes playlist I knocked up last week to put me in a Macca mood for the new album:

That Would Be Something
Every Night
Tomorrow
Friends to Go
You Want Her Too
Too Many People
Dear Boy
The Back Seat Of My Car
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
English Tea
Fine Line
From A Lover To A Friend
Your Way
Great Day
Beautiful Night
Flaming Pie
Heaven On A Sunday
Souvenir
The World Tonight
Young Boy
Put It There
That Day Is Done
This One
My Brave Face
Hope Of Deliverance
Maybe I'm Amazed
Ballroom Dancing
Take It Away
Again and Again and Again
Getting Closer
Band On The Run
Jet
Let Me Roll It
Mull Of Kintyre
Coming Up
Let 'Em In
Pipes Of Peace
Silly Love Songs
Another Day
Live And Let Die
Venus And Mars / Rockshow (Single Edit)

There's more I've overlooked, but these are all "corkers". And I'd give a thumbs-aloft for Back To The Egg too, a forgotten gem.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

DrJ wrote:For anyone's information, here's an iTunes playlist I knocked up last week to put me in a Macca mood for the new album...There's more I've overlooked, but these are all "corkers". And I'd give a thumbs-aloft for Back To The Egg too, a forgotten gem.
I'd agree with all those. And most of them rock.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just picked up Memory Almost Full and had a strange conversation with the cashier.

Cashier: Is this for you?

BlueChair: Yep.

Cashier: Have you heard any of it yet?

BlueChair: A few songs...

Cashier: It's kind of... fucked up.

BlueChair: Oh?

Cashier: Yeah...

BlueChair: In a good way or a bad way?

Cashier: A good way...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Nice one Dr J - though I cant be having any of that "Silly Love Songs" - twaddle - Macca at his most slimey.

"Let em In" I like tho - you just HAVE to whistle along!

"Let Me Roll It" - I love the guitar on that - very Lennonish if you ask me (and yes I know you didnt).
echos myron like a siren
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

There's your review Blue - Memory Almost Full - "Fucked up... in a good way"

Short, to the point and intriguing. :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Macca at his most slimey
could it be time for another tower? (I almost agree with you, Mr. B, except I think it's got to be Yesterday. let the stoning begin).
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I was pretty indifferent about Silly Love Songs until a band I was in learned it to play as a goof at a friend's wedding. Man that song is fun to play.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I love discussing the Macca back catalogue.

I understand the allergic reaction that Silly Love Songs triggers in some people but a few words in its defence:

It's a metasong! It deconstructs the form and dissociates it from love. He begins by asking whats wrong with "Silly Love Longs", by the first refrain he has broken the love song down to its simplest form ("Iiiiii... Loooove.... You.....") but then in its key section, McCartney sings about love as opposed to love songs, with some possible double, or even single, entendre: "Love doesn't come in a minute, Sometimes it doesn't come at all, I only know that when you're in it... Love isn't silly at all". So the world can sing about love songs but love itself is serious and hard to find.

Plus it just flows for its five and a half minutes, it's incredibly catchy even though it has about half-a-dozen melody lines.
And has some lovely Linda singing (the "say, can't you see" bits).
And an awesome bassline.
And a great ending.
And it reminds me of some very silly times in college.

I have listened to Memory Almost Full, I don't know whether it should have its own thread or not but it's very, very good. I was worried because I didn't rate Driving Rain much and was worried because MAF has the same producer and band. However the producer (David Kahne) made one of my favourite albums last year with Regina Spektor's Begin to Hope, so I listened with an open mind. It is indeed a bit mad... in a good way. MAF is 13 songs in 42 minutes and on less than two listens I'd add My Ever Present Past and Mr Bellamy to the list above. One of the Macca albums worth buying.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Hi Dr J. Good to know you're a Regina enthusiast. I adore that LP too. Not to mention her generally. Are you going to see her at the RFH in Sept?

I love Let Me Roll It. I used to play Wings Over America loads as a teen. Still have it on triple vinyl.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have to say that so far the only two tracks on Memory that are doing anything for me are "Dance Tonight" and "Ever Present Past." I'm hoping it'll grow on me more.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

BlueChair wrote:I have to say that so far the only two tracks on Memory that are doing anything for me are "Dance Tonight" and "Ever Present Past." I'm hoping it'll grow on me more.
Actually I'm not too thrilled about those two. I do like the little mini-suite in the second half, and the three tracks on the second disc of the deluxe edition. I don't think I'll enjoy it more than "Chaos", which I loved, but it doesn't suck.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Hi Dr J. Good to know you're a Regina enthusiast. I adore that LP too. Not to mention her generally. Are you going to see her at the RFH in Sept?
I saw Regina in February, so I'm going to give her a miss this time, but she's very good live.
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Do you, like thousands and thousands of Regina fans, me included, have something of a crush on her? I was think of going to Birmingham, a) cheaper than London and a fairly easy route from Cambridge and b) nights out in Birmingham are a wonderful reminder of my student days. Maybe Jackson the Doofster will meet me there?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Sorry Macca, we have changed the thread. I definitely have a huge crush on Regina. So, so cute and so, so talented.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

http://www.clashmagazine.com/mccartney- ... mden-club/

Secret Macca gig in Camden for 1000 lucky #$@#@$ ers

The full set list was:

‘Drive My Car’
‘Only Mama Knows’
‘Dance Tonight’
‘C Moon’
‘The Long And Winding Road’
‘I’ll Follow The Sun’
‘Calico Skies’
‘That Was Me’
‘Blackbird’
‘Here Today’
‘Back In The USSR’
‘Nod Your Head’
‘House Of Wax’
‘I’ve Got A Feeling’
‘Matchbox’ (Carl Perkins cover)
‘Get Back’
‘Hey Jude’
‘Let It Be’
‘Lady Madonna’
‘I Saw Her Standing There’
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Gave a good account of himself on Later last night. Dance Tonight, I've Got a Feeling, Only Mama Knows, and a lovely Lady Madonna to finish, with Jools gleefully at the organ. Macca was in good voice and spirits.

Dance Tonight vid here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P2 ... _rd_i=5174

The highlight for me, though, was Bjork. Earth Intruders and an astonishing Declare Independence from Volta, which I'm loving, and The Anchor Song, which was half-English/half-Icelandic (the original, if memory serves, is English only). She played with a brass-playing choir, all dressed in very strong single colour outfits. Mark Bell was with her, with various gadgets being used that I've never seen before, including one that was a flat luminous surface with lots of little squares on it that seemed to create different sounds through visible different currents. i'd love to see her live right now - and am drooling just at the thought of the Glastonbury highlights.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Ahhh, the Macca secret gig was just down the road from where I live and I was utterly convinced that I would win the online competition, oh well. Thought he was quite good on Later, although they wouldn't be my favourite two songs from MAF. What was fun was Jools Holland's joy when he was playing Lady Madonna, I'd never seen him so happy. Observe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRHUs5XMbQ

Stella's over Paul's left shoulder...

Dance Tonight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrwT-QPIvVs

Only Mama Knows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFIh7YoQodQ

I've Got a Feeling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoSSYBlZxcM

Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl2nStgBfxo

DrJ

PS I like Regina for her music!
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Thanks Dr. J., and nice to see you!!

"I've Got A Feeling" is a very fave of mine, and it sounds great here. Now to find the Bjork clips...
Otis Westinghouse

They're well worth it. Absolutely regarding Jools and Lady M. He told a nice story of learning to play it with his mum, so it must have been an intensely special moment for him to get to do this.

I love Regina for her music too, believe me, it's just that her music is part and parcel of her unique loveliness.