Very Disappointed with 21+ shows

Pretty self-explanatory
Adam2

Very Disappointed with 21+ shows

Post by Adam2 »

I am 18 years old, and a huge Elvis Costello fan. Since spring '05, I have been to all of his concerts in the Chicagoland area (Auditorium Theatre, Ravinia '05 & '06) and traveled to 2 other ones (Indianapolis solo, Ohio '06). When I heard that he was playing the House of Blues in Chicago, I was very excited because I knew that the small venue and length of the tour would ensure a special show. My dad and I are very big fans, and it was difficult to get the tickets. We went through the hassle of acquiring a Visa Signature card just so we could even get them, in addition to paying the relatively steep ticket price. When I found out that the shows were 21+, I figured that if we called the venue and explained that I would be attending with a parent, there would be no problem (almost all venues will allow you to do this). We called the House of Blues and apparently no exceptions can be made, and that is why I won't be attending the show. I find it very sad that on Wednesday night, while people who are there to chat/drink and pay no attention to the music are sitting in their Visa Signature VIP seats, true fans like myself (and maybe others) will be at home. I don't want to get into the venue so I can drink or do anything stupid. I wanted to see one of my favorite artists play great music. I wanted to hear rarely performed songs that he's been playing on this tour, like Motel Matches, Party Girl, Little Triggers, etc. I am crushed that someone like me, who lives and breathes music, won't be allowed to see one of my favorites.
Last edited by Adam2 on Tue May 08, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

i hear ya man, it really sucks. i had such a long hard working year, and since i heard my hero of heros is playing in my area, i was so excited and i thought it would be a great way to celebrate a hard worked year. i was gonna try the same thing you did, bring my dad, but i geuss that wont be possible now. oi.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yeah, bad vibes, esp. with the Visa Sig. situation you put yourself through. Well, if you really want to stir it up - call the HOB booking agents, maybe - start with this list here: http://www.hob.com/aboutHOB/press/management/ - Try Daniel Fishkin (good luck getting him on the phone); or try Kevin Morrow... You could maybe try contacting E.C.'s management group - Feldman something.. I think they're in Canada. Also, as a last resort, you could show up a hour or so before the show and see if you can chat it up with someone from the E.C. tour crew. Maybe they can help you or get you on a list or something. Then there is always borrowing an ID from a 21 year old friend who looks like you. Do you have an older brother? Good luck.
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

I tried emailing 2 people from his management in Canada today. Maybe I'll try those names, but I really doubt they'll work. And I also doubt my dad would want to drive there without knowing whether I'll get in.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

bummer - at least in SF they had 21+ hand stamps on the right hand for legal drinkers. Next time take a short flight I guess- HOB is a commercial Disneyland type of chain anyway - go ahead and boycott them.
I have been burned by this rule before when I tried to take my daughter to Bimbos for a show.
you are correct.. it spoils the atmosphere with the cute girls handing out CD's ONLY to thos with Visa signature cards
Vis is polluting baseball and basketball games as well.. trying to catch up with AMEX... not to mention the Visa aposters and Lexus ads.
gone are the days of the Old Waldorf. But don't blame EC.. the promoters are simply consolidating and getting more of a monopoly. This merger to form Livenation makes me want to boycott concerts. They are already selling some tickets for 4 times face value. (and the artists does NOT get it)
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

You probably won't have any luck with E.C.'s management. They are at the mercy of the venue and probably won't do anything to disturb the relationship. Call HOB corporate and tell them you and your father are willing to sign a waiver or something... a legal contract for a two hour concert.. man, that's lame. I think you're screwed, son. But, don't fret, E.C. has many miles left and kids to support. You might be lucky enough to see him before the year is over.
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

it's not that i'll never see him again or have yet to see him, but like i said, the unique nature of this tour has created interesting setlists. he's playing deeper cuts that will rarely be played outside of a tour like this, plus the fact that this HOB show is the smallest show i'll ever have the chance to see in Chicago.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Legal age in Canada is 19, but even so I remember having to miss out on some awesome bands at small clubs when I was 17 or 18 because I wasn't yet of age. You could take your chances with a fake ID, but I would take comfort in the fact that Elvis rarely plays 21+ only venues. Some bands play these venues exclusively.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
LD

Post by LD »

This is probably coming too late, but you could hop in the car with your dad and drive up to Minneapolis for tonight's show. It's all-ages and I'm so glad because I'm bringing my 14-year-old son to his first real concert. Depending on what part of Chicagoland you're starting out from, it's a 6 to 7 hour drive. The venue is suburban (but looks like a cool place) with a Best Western just across the parking lot. Could be a cool road trip for you guys! Either way, best of luck!
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

i might have some luck in September, cause he's comin back to Philly, but im not sure what kind of gig it is or if its part of the same tour.
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

I asked for help getting into the show on Steve Nieve's website, and he said that he would talk to the security manager, and that if I had any problems getting in, to ask for that security guy. Hopefully this will work. I do realize now that I shouldn't have blamed EC... things are different when you have time to think things through and aren't super pissed off...