Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Count me in as a Galaxy Quest fan too. My daughter Katie said the Kaiser Chiefs song Every Day I Love You Less and Less reminded her of The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I want to watch right now, in anticipation of the Halloween season and Corpse Bride.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

selfmademug wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote: The wife has some weird fixation with Alan Rickman
Now, now... there's nothing weird about a fixation with Alan Rickman. Just ask our Plaything Or Pet. Or me... :)
Me, too.

She clearly has excellent taste, WSS.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Goody2Shoes wrote:
selfmademug wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote: The wife has some weird fixation with Alan Rickman
Now, now... there's nothing weird about a fixation with Alan Rickman. Just ask our Plaything Or Pet. Or me... :)
Me, too.

She clearly has excellent taste, WSS.
I have a Professor Snape get-up that I reserve for romantic evenings! :wink:

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I think Blue just meant to say that the film came out 6 or 7 years ago, but I do agree with you about it being an awful lot of fun. I was no great fan of Star Trek growing up, but it was so omnipresent that I couldn't help but take it in through osmosis.

I may take my daughter to see "Corpse Bride" next weekend. She has an appreciation of the macabre and loved "The Nightmare Before Christmas". This looks quite similar.
You are right WSS :oops: My apologies to Blue... it was late, I was tired, I have the flu, and I have no excuse ;)

My son (the 6yo) also has a great love for The Nightmare Before Christmas and is champing at the bit to see The Corpse Bride.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Has anyone Seen the exorcism of emily Rose?

Pretty scary shit. Pretty scary shit.

Has anyone seen the 40 year old virgin?

Lol. I love these low budget extremely bizarre movies that make you laugh so hard you hit the floor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Has anyone else on the board seen Eulogy? I think it's a couple of years old but I just got around to watching it last night and was more than pleasantly suprised by how entertaining and well done it was. The cast is excellent; Rip Torn, Hank Azaria, Famke Jannsen, Zooey Deschanel, Piper Laurie, Ray Romano and a very funny Debra Winger but I had been dubious about renting it for so long because it went direct to video in spite of the talent in front of the camera and I never heard even a whisper about the film beforehand. A couple of films I can compare it to are Daddy & Them and Home For The Holidays although I should qualify that last one by saying that Eulogy is much, much better than Holidays which was a dog of a movie about a turkey. At any rate, I just thought I'd recommend it to you guys because it's not a bad way to spend a low key evening.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I'd rather be in the Atkinson's diet than watch anything to do with Ray Romano on tv. Seriously:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Extreme Honey wrote:I'd rather be in the Atkinson's diet than watch anything to do with Ray Romano on tv. Seriously:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
Rowan Atkinson is on a diet?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

You can learn more about Rowan Atkinson's new legume-based Mr. Bean diet via a special short subject that can be seen only in the trailers to the witty and action-packed "Serenity," currently playing at a theater near you.

(I saw an opening, and I took it!)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

yay bobster!

i am trying to not alienate my friends, but i am also doing the hard sell on my favorite movie. i've seen it three times since opening day - not counting the two preview screenings i saw before it was finished. and i'm going again this weekend.

i am such a fangirl. i've got it BAD.

Post by Extreme Honey »

No, no you fools! Atkinson's diet is the diet where you can't eat/drink ANY (and I mean not even 1) carb. It usually lasts short periods of time though, since the body needs 'em. And yes, I would rather be on this torture diet than watch Ray Romano (or any american comedy show were people laugh at the dumbest jokes every 5 seconds 'caus if they didn't nobody would realize it's supposed to be comedy).
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Funny you should mention dumb people not knowing when something is intended as humor...
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

selfmademug wrote:Funny you should mention dumb people not knowing when something is intended as humor...
Half the time I don't know when you guys are joking or not. You seem to make great use of sarcasm. You sarcasm lover should place a sign when you are using that type of humor. Like a : SC. ex:

Ray Romano is the best actor I know (SC)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Extreme Honey wrote: You... should place a sign when you are using that type of humor. Like a : SC. ex:
Oh dear, I fear it will be a very, very unfunny world my progeny will inherit...

CS;gf*

*[mostly Cheap Shot but with a soupcon of Genuine Fear]
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Extreme Honey:

You are who you are and everyone here has something of value to contribute. Sadly, there is an elitist contingent that derive great enjoyment and sport in belittling others. It gets old, but it makes them feel better..stronger. Like the cheap dime store hood played by Kiefer Sutherland in the classic film "Stand By Me". Effectively...pseudo-intellectual bullies. God forbid that your opinion differs from theirs!! If it does, then there can only be one conclusion...you are stupid, ignorant, naive, etc. It is actually pretty pitiful.

Sarcasm is okay and it is fun when it is not mean-spirited and hurtful. Unfortunately, and all too often from the same usual insecure suspects, it is designed to hurt and drive you away. As much as I disagree with some of your comments and sentiments, I welcome your contribution to this forum and think it becomes more interesting because of them.

Careful though...if you glean attention from the few, they will lash out like caged animals.

driveldan
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
alexv

Post by alexv »

Mr. A, your steadfastness in the face of ridicule etc. gives you a well-earned right to state your piece. But really, consider whether it's worth using your dime in this instance.

Let's recap: we were being treated to an entertaining discussion on recent movies, with the moody Rickman's name causing the usual sighs from our female romantics, and then, out of nowhere, an innocent mention of Romano leads Extreme to join the fray with a howler: it quickly becomes apparent that the poor boy does not understand the difference between Atkins and Atkinson (Atkins by the way was a neighbor of mine, when alive). Blue and Bobster, ever so gently, tried to steer him home, and then Extreme shoots back with a post that starts off with the following endearment: "No, no you fools" , to be followed by his apparently serious (could he have been?) explanation (probably intended for ignorant americans) of the "Atkinson" diet, and some anti-american cracks to boot (this time it's american comedy that's undoing the world). This was all too much for the Mugster and Extreme got what was coming to him. But Extreme still doesn't get it, and now reacts defensively (always in my view a sign of guilt) by accusing the board of sarcasm, which,because he has trouble detecting it, he now demands be pointed out to him. What hutzpah!!

So, in summation, Mr. A, you have a valid point, in general. There are times when the Board thought police does get off on its hobby horse, and spoil my fun. But in this case, what else was to be done? Good god, man, to disparage american comedy, ray romano, confuse a dead atkins with a tiny living englishman, admit to a failure to spot sarcasm, and do all this in a Board designed to honor Elvis Costello, while at the same time referring to his gently chiding fellow posters as fools, and all done in horribly bad english? What would Elvis do?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nicely observed!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I really didn't mean to cause a hassle or attack americans or 'Howl" at anybody honestly. I just saw Ray Romano somewhere and I decided to let everyone know i think he's a 3rd rate actor. If it "Hurt" someone I'm sorry. I don't know ppl who get offended by callinf them "fools' but w.e. The sarcasm post (the one where I said ppl should use SC was just a 2nd rate joke. I don't know if mug's comment was supposed to offend me, but it dosn't matter 'caus I don't understand it. Mr.A, I don't know if you are gihting for or against me, but since you lost me it dosn't matter anywho. And then alexv, well, god bless you. You brilliantly observed everything going on and made me look like a f*cking idiot dissing americans and actors and whatnot. I understand your part, but I simply don't feel like defending myself this time. But so take note that normally I would post and post until you give up. This whole "Extreme Thomasso is an anti-american who wants to piss of Selfmademug and howls at everything" is taking it's toll on me and I'm getting sick of it. However, you did get one tihng right, his board is made for Elvis Costello and he should be honored. Having said that, has anyone seen Cameron Diaz's "In her shoes"???
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Saw "Corpse Bride" with my daughter this afternoon. Maybe a little slow-moving for her, though it clocks in at less than an hour and a half. I liked it, but it did strike me as a bit of a re-hash of "The Nightmare Before Christmas", with less memorable characters and music.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Went to a promotional screening of the new Steve Martin film Shopgirl. Hardly a masterpeice, but enjoyable nonetheless. Definitely not the dissappointment a lot of people at the Toronto film festival had painted it. Not to me, anyway. And Jason Schwartzman was hysterical.

At one point in the film, the projectionist blew a bulb, resulting in film stoppage for a few minutes. On the way out we were all handed vouchers to see any film for free at the theatre (despite the fact that this was a promotional screening and therefore also free). So I think Red and I are going to see North Country tomorrow night (sorry Bob, Serenity isn't playing at this theatre :lol: )
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

That's okay -- it wouldn't have added to the grosses!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I murdered this topic.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

What is the song that is playing in the trailer for Paradise Now? It is a nice acoutic guitar piece.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

ice nine wrote:What is the song that is playing in the trailer for Paradise Now? It is a nice acoutic guitar piece.
According to this, it's alexi murdoch- orange sky nad you can get it here.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Domino - Knightly unconvincing, Rourke boring. Story cluttered. Gratuitous violence ala Rodriguez. Same filters as Traffic. Interesting casting move with Dabney Coleman as a bad guy. Nothing new otherwise.

North Country - We already know that Theron can act, and there is some range permitted here, but she wrings every bit out of this stereotyped miminimalized "Norma Raye" story. Extremely predictable. Works on only one level: promote the theme of sexist iijustices in the workplace. But you know that going in. Frances McDormand is completely believeable as usual, and is revealed as the real heroine here, not Theron's character. Woody Harrelson is wooden and awful and unconvincing and completely wrong.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)