Top 10 Cult Classics

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Tim(e) if it is grotesquely humorous it keeps with the book. I looked it up and the cheapest is $49.95 used VHS-Drat! If I can't find it for less I'll have to take your word for it. Maybe they will release it on DVD soon. Great book.

Toyko Vogue-Argento? Strong stomach, though 'Suspira' is not his goriest. Still. . yikes. :shock:
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

A lot of good ones on here that would be in my top 10, so I'll try and come up with 10 that haven't been mentioned - I couldn't resist two Reese Witherspoon and two Warren Oates pics

The Day The Earth Stood Still
Detour
Election
Freeway
Best In Show
Panic In Needle Park
Down By Law
Cockfighter
Dillinger
Barfly
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

In no order....

The Big Lebowski
The Fisher King (okay, so I have a thing about Jeff Bridges)
Withnail & I
Grosse Pointe Blank
Being John Malkovich (okay, so I have a thing about John Cusack)
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Wonder Boys
Rushmore
Ghost World
All 30 of the Carry On films (except England, Emmanuelle and Jack)Image
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Bunny: Nothing wrong with that thing for John Cusack. I've always thought he was cute - you know, in that quirky kind of way. Always fiesty and nervous. :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Boy With A Problem wrote: Barfly
Barfly was cool. It's about Bukowski if you weren't aware of it, costellopunk.

I, also, liked Some Kind Of Wonderful.

One that comes to mind is Soldier. Very good character role by Kurt Russell, having to supress a lot.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Okay, my ten...

Walking and Talking
Say Anything
Heathers
Dazed and Confused
The Lost Boys
Little Shop of Horrors (mostly for awesome/hysterical Steve Martin)
The Shawshank Redemption
The Usual Suspects

I reserve picking #'s 9 & 10 for another day...
Poppet

Metropolis

Post by Poppet »

tokyo vogue wrote:
5. Metropolis (Kino version)

oh, this is the best, definitive version. that movie finally makes sense, and it is a Very Good Movie!

highly recommended.
girl out of time

some other cult movies

Post by girl out of time »

blue velvet
being john malkovich
the hit
romper stomper
strangers in paradise
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

In no particular order:

Psycho

Fast Times At Ridgmont High

Night of the Living Dead

Metropolis(silent)

Saturday Night Fever

Young Frankenstein

The Breakfast Club

Annie Hall

Trainspotting

Hard Days Night

Planet of the Apes

(oops! I think that's eleven.)
I'm not angry anymore....
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

bambooneedle- oh yeah i'm down with barfly. his book hollywood was about making that movie.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

SMM

I think that u r absolutely right about Shrek.....I love that movie. The best (only?) good thing Eddie Murphy has ever done.

I would place Shrek in my all-time top 20.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Jackson Doofster

Holy Grail
The Rutles
A Matter of Life and Death
Looking for Mr Goodbar
Sleeper
Evil Roy Slade
Shrek
Betty Blue
La Cage Aux Folles
Zulu ('don't you bloody throw that spear at me'...Michael Caine)
Escape to Victory (Sly: "where do I stand for a corner?" Caine: "At the back post, facing the ball" - classically bad!)
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

So many good films... impossible to get it down to ten.
Here's a few that haven't been mentioned yet

Static
My Life As A Dog
Tampopo
Betty Blue
Android
Where's North from 'ere?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jacks, so glad you agree about SHREK. Totally hilarious indictment of Disney, among other things, and yeah, my fave Eddie Murphy role to be sure (though some parts of THE NUTTY PROFESSOR are pretty fucking funny as well). My son knows the movie pretty much by heart, and knows he can crack me up by quoting bits ("Not my gumdrop buttons!!")of it to me at odd moments.

Have you and your kid(s?) seen LILO AND STITCH? I really like that a lot, too; though it's not in the same category as SHREK, it's the most subversive Disney movie I think I've ever seen (ganted, perhaps not saying much). The Ving Rhames character alone is worth the price of admission.

I am glad to see you all over the baord again-- can't do your polls cause I'm useless with such things, though if you'd put a nice single malt on your whiskey one....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Doof: nice to see you posting more these days. :)

Mug: My sister-in-law gave each of my three boys DVDs as Christmas presents - one kids got Shrek and another got Lilo & Stitch. I think the other kid got Spiderman and the daughter, of course, got jewelry. Nevermind about that. The movie Shrek has become quotable among my boys. Not like we didn't already have burping and farting in the house already with that many boys, but Shrek has enhanced that. I would get mad, but that movie captures the essence of everything that makes kids laugh. You can't help but like it.

Lilo & Stitch is cute. You're right, it's not Shrek, but still a cute movie. I was shopping with the kids a few days ago and we stopped by the Disney store. They had some things 75% off, one of which was a Lilo & Stitch lunchbox and thermos marked down to less than $4.00. My youngest was thrilled. So we're looking through these toys and I see a store clerk trying to help a customer find something to purchase. The customer says, "No, I'm not buying anything Lilo & Stitch. I didn't like that movie. I didn't like the way Stitch acted and I didn't think his behavior was appropriate. I'm not buying any of that stuff." It's a damn cartoon, I thought to myself.

My kids turned and looked at me with contorted faces. I said, "guys, some people are just stupid." They just laughed. :roll:
Jackson Doofster

SMM and Spooks - thanks v.much. It's nice to be noticed!

It's good to be posting more. One thing you can guarantee is that I am low on stress when I am posting more. There is a direct correlation between my levels of work related stress and the frequency of my posts.

If you don't hear from me for a while, it means that i'm drowning in a sea of paperwork. At present, things are cool. :P :P

Kids are so great for being honest. Last sunday, we had a village BBQ. My large bellied neighbour (Gary) caqme walking in, looking like he needs to leave a little more on his plate.

Olivia (4) walked up to him and without a hint of irony, pointed at his abdomen and said "have you got a baby in there?"
Cue laughter all round....except from a cofused livvy who could not see the joke.

Priceless
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

We all just saw Lilo and Stitch on DVD last night (saw it in the movies too)and everybody liked it. It was cute and amusing and surprisingly liked by a big age range....from 7yrs, 11, 14 (well, my son was playing gameboy the entire time but he didn't leave the room so I'll take that as a yes.)
and my 19yr old and his girlfriend.....plus the mister and me.
Shrek wasn't as popular with that crowd.
We liked Monsters Inc. I LOVE Billy Crystal and John Goodman too.
Really, really funny. :D
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I thought we were talking about cult films?

Psycho is a great film, SweetPear, as is Annie Hall, but both are extremely popular films.

My Top 10 cult faves:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Magnolia
3. Brazil
4. This Is Spinal Tap
5. The Royal Tenenbaums
6. Best In Show
7. Groundhog Day
8. The Rutles
9. Easy Rider
10. Kentucky Fried Movie
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Eraserhead is one of the most disturbing, if not THE most disturbing, films I have seen.

Head, starring the Monkees, should be a cult classic

I also believe that The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes is one of Kurt Russel's finest films

INQUIRY- Why can't I go back into my post to bold, italicizeand highlight a section? You have to have foresight to see that you need to do it before you begin.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

INQUIRY- Why can't I go back into my post to bold, italicizeand highlight a section? You have to have foresight to see that you need to do it before you begin.
Ice - You can do it. You need to highlight the text that needds to be bold etc. and then click the B button.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

There are so many great cult movies out there. I was thinking about them in another way, like......series films (if that makes any sense).
Like,
The Planet of the Apes films
and COLUMBO (I can't leave him out, I love that guy.)

Star Trek.....you Trekkies
Star Wars Trilogy
There's all the Indiana Jones films (Really great , my family loves them. Harrison Ford's pretty nice to look at too.)

Psycho is such a great film, but I dig ALL Hitch's films. If you haven't seen them you're missing out.
Woody Allen comes to mind also. Many of his films are cult classics.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

CPunk, in Barfly, I like the way he spits out, "You symbolize everything that disgusts me!!"
Jackson Doofster

BC

I think that your point to Sweet Pear regarding Psycho and Annie Hall also applies to Easy Rider and Groundhog Day, both of which were very big hit movies at the time. I'd say that commercially speaking, Groundhog Day was probably as commercially successful as Annie Hall.

JD
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

So many great movies and many that I had forgotten about.

Selfmademug: I also love The Princess Bride. The man of the house and I can have whole conversations based entirely on quotes from it.

I'll also add A Christmas Story to my list, since it had only 9. :)
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

A few more that I would consider to be essential:

Hana-bi (Kitano, "beat" Takeshi)
Sonatine (Kitano, "beat" Takeshi)
Grave of the Fireflies (Takahata, Isao)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki, Hayao)
The Harder They Come (Perry Henzell)
Ran (Kurosawa, Akira)
Juliet of the Spirits (Felini)
Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog)