Best of 2009 -so far

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Best of 2009 -so far

Post by martinfoyle »

I know it's only May 12 but this piece has got the ball rolling already, with a more modern take on things i.e. best tracks so far this year. I've heard only a fraction of them and the most hyped item of the year(this decade?) so far, the U2 album, makes no appearance. Big surprise...not.

http://thisrecording.com/today/2009/5/7 ... -2009.html
BlueChair

Re: Best of 2009 -so far

Post by BlueChair »

Nice list. I haven't been overwhelmed by much yet this year, though I have high hopes for the new Elvis and Wilco records in June. So far I'd say my favourites of the year would have to be Neko Case's Middle Cyclone and Richard Swift's The Atlantic Ocean, but I know I have a lot more exploring to do.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I like Middle Cyclone as well. I'm a big fan of the U2 and Tinted Windows too. My favorite of this year by far is actually from last year, The Last Shadow Puppets. Brilliant stuff.
Last edited by pophead2k on Wed May 13, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I couldn't listen to any of the tracks listed, but I love the new Decemberists album, The Hazards of Love. Love it! Also couldn't stop listening to Franz Ferdinand's Tonight, and I've got the new PJ Harvey waiting for me when I get home.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:I couldn't listen to any of the tracks listed, but I love the new Decemberists album, The Hazards of Love.
Yep, that one's really grown on me. Andrew Bird's Noble Beast is excellent as well.

Enjoying the new St. Vincent album, Actor. Neko Case's Middle Cyclone - not her very best but still quite good. I'd put M. Ward's Hold Time in the same category - below his best but still a solid effort.

Looking forward to:

The new Eels album - love the bits I've heard.
The new Grizzly Bear - ditto.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Butts

Post by Butts »

Best albums so far - for me - would be

Hold Time - M Ward
Outer South - Conor Oberst
Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective
Please and Thankyou - Broken Family Band
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Rakes - Klang
Pete Doherty - Grace/Wastelands
Still like the Eric & Amy album from late last year

Also looking forward to new eels
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It is early, but I am game:

Bob Dylan - Though Life together
John Doe & The Sadies- Country Club
Mark Olson & Garyl Louris- Ready for the Flood
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

The Dylan and John Doe albums have continued to grow on me and every week I manage to play the other two- would give an honorable mention to Conor Oberst for Outer South.--though it is technically not a 2009 Album- recently bought Herbie Hancock- The Piano- thiis is an album of beautiful piano improvisations that stimulate my wife in her playing.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'