Beatles remasters

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Beatles remasters

Post by BlueChair »

Beatles catalog to be digitally remastered

By ROBERT BARR, Associated Press Writer Robert Barr, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 23 mins ago

LONDON – Beatles fans will have a chance to add substantially to their collections when a digitally remastered version of the band's catalog becomes available in September.

Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music announced Tuesday that they will be releasing the new discs worldwide on Sept. 9, the same day as the release of a video game, "The Beatles: Rock Band."

The release continues a recent trend of repackaging and tweaking The Beatles' output, which fans may have thought ended in 1970 with "Let It Be."

Each of the dozen CDs will include the original U.K. album art and new, expanded liner notes, according to an announcement on The Beatles Web site. For a limited time, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album.

The collections "Past Masters Vol. I and II," including singles, out-takes, live versions and B-sides which weren't on the albums, will be reissued in one package.

In addition, Apple Corps and EMI will be releasing a boxed set named "The Beatles in Mono," with the original monaural versions of 10 albums plus two further discs of mono masters of early material. The mono versions of "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" also include the 1965 stereo mixes.

There has been no breakthrough yet on negotiations to get the Beatles' extensive catalog available for legal downloading.

"Discussions regarding the digital distribution of the catalog will continue," Apple Corps and EMI said.

The repackaging began in 1973 with "The Beatles/1962-1966" and "The Beatles/1967-1970."

Then came "Live at the BBC" in 1994, "Past Masters" in 1988, "Anthology 1" and 2 and 3 in 1996, "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" in 1999, "1" in 2000, "Let It Be ... Naked" in 2003 and "Love" in 2007.

Apple said the new package is the fruit of four years of work by engineers at the Abbey Road Studios.

The surviving Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, played together at a charity benefit in New York several days ago.

:D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Re: Beatles remasters

Post by pophead2k »

Great news as the CDs I have are crap in comparison to some stuff from the era that's been reissued. However, I wish these were SACD a la Dylan's back catalog.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

pophead2k wrote:Great news as the CDs I have are crap in comparison to some stuff from the era that's been reissued. However, I wish these were SACD a la Dylan's back catalog.
I fear that SACD is a dead format. Even the SACDs they had put out for Dylan are out of print, having been replaced with regular remastered CDs.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

# 9-#9-#09!!!!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

So HOW much better are they??

Does the reissue of "Let It Be" sound better than "Let It Be...Naked?"

Is there a big difference in sound quality between these and "1" and "The Yellow Submarine Songtrack"?

Should I really ask for one of the Box Sets for Christmas, since I already own every song? And if so, mono or stereo??

Thanks in advance Blue!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I don't have Let It Be or Yellow Submarine yet so I can't comment on either of those.

However, I'm definitely noticing a difference on the albums I have picked up so far (everything except for Let It Be, Yellow Submarine, Magical Mystery Tour and Past Masters at this point). Purists say go for the mono, but for my money the stereo mixes sound way better. Call me blasphemous, but the mono sounds kind of flat to my ears.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So you've compared both on the same equipment? I've yet to see a comparison of this sort There are probably whole websites dedicated to just that, but ain't searched.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Listening to the first 8 albums ( Please... to 'Pepper) on random on my multi disc cd player on shuffle last night ( I know, I know, soooo old school) Ifound most of the songs just leaping out at me. Mr Moonlight was a especial highlight - simply thrilling harmony vocals. The sheer rawness of the early recordings is so evident and refreshes the songs. At the end of Act Naturally you can actually hear someone knocking a guitar against something.

Did I buy 'em? Well, as this photo shows , I've spent a fortune over the years on the earlier formats ; I will , I'm sure, buy legit copies when the ridiculous, inflated prices that Irish shops are charging are , inevitably, reduced.