Mandate my ass!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Richard

Mandate my ass!

Post by Richard »

There is a great tradition in popular music of the political or protest song. I like a lot of music that comes under that banner, but have also spent 20 odd years following the career of Billy Bragg & largely skipping his straight political songs. (A slight exageration.) Not out of disagreement, but because his polemic often doesn't communicate well in a three minute song.

So what are the great protest/political songs & why? I would love to see some lists to challenge my own narrow world-view!
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

"There is Power in a Union" by Billy Bragg. I love that song! It's so much better than "Solidarity Forever" athough that is a classic. As a Labor Studies student and Union member, it's like the soundtrack to my life. :lol:
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Having just watched No Direction Home last night, I'm all like "Don't call them protest songs, man! Quit tryin' to put everything in a neat little box! And stop telling me to suck on my glasses!" but, having just typed that, my all time favorite is Dylan's Desolation Row. Maybe it's not a ripped from the headlines bit of reportage but I think it captures the insanity and absurdity of existence so powerfully and, unlike most protest songs, it's such a hysterically funny lyric on top of having a strong conscience.

Public Enemy's 911 Is A Joke also got to me because you could hear the anger pouring out of it and then there's Tom T. Hall who wrote the most progressive-minded political fables in country music like The Monkey Who Became President, Watergate Blues and Mama Baked A Pie. Again, what seperated him from the rest was, 1. He could write better than anyone in Nashville and 2. He remembered it had to work as a song first and then as commentary.
bobster

Post by bobster »

My all-time fave in this category remains PL&U. The fact that Nick meant to be ironic, but hit on something real, may be what gives it a certain depth without be obnoxiously tasteful in a Holly Nearish sort of way.

("We are gentle, loving people" was parodied by one of my more clever fellow 80's peacniks as "We are a smug, self-righteous people")

I also dig Edwin Starr's "War" and Mr. Stevie Wonder's "Big Brother" and most especially "You Haven't Done Nothing", the unofficial anthem of the Democratic Leadership Council.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

DD!!! hi!! ::poppet waves howdy::

I too love "There is Power in a Union". I can sing the chorus, and it's been ages since iIve listened to it. That's a catchy chorus, that one.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"I'm So Bored with the U S A!" - The Clash
"Guns Before Butter" - Gang of Four
"Eton Rifles" - The Jam
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)