Did you know that sex is way worse than violence?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Gamemaker Sued Over Hidden Sex in GTA

By LARRY NEUMEISTER
Associated Press Writer
Published July 27, 2005, 12:58 PM CDT

NEW YORK -- A woman upset that she bought the video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" for her 14-year-old grandson without knowing it contained hidden, sexually explicit scenes sued the manufacturer Wednesday on behalf of consumers nationwide.

Read the full article here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... siness-hed

Now, I'm not saying that a grandmother shouldn't be outraged over a game that snuck in sexually explicit scenes. But what the hell are grandmothers doing buying their grandchildren games as violent as Grand Theft Auto, a game which is clearly meant for mature audiences due to its realistic depictions of crime and violence.

Why is it that people get up in arms over sex but feel like there is nothing wrong with 8 year olds armed with guns killing random people and stealing their cars?

We've come a long way from jumping on the heads of walking mushrooms, that's for sure.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Blue. You've raised Mrs Monkster's greatest irritation. She gets really annoyed that British Censors worry about sex/passion being on TV, whilst they allow serious violent scenes (esp on Soaps) to be broadcast before the 9pm watershed.
corruptio optimi pessima
little martinet

Post by little martinet »

Our society is ass-backwards, that's what is wrong!

Plus, doesn't the article say that she bought it for her 14-yr old grandson when it was still rated M (for mature, for 17 yrs and older)?!

I don't agree with a lot of the gratuitous sex and violence that kids are exposed to, but isn't it ultimately up to parents/grandparents/guardians to control the exposure?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Only in America...

"Laurence D. Paskowitz, the lawyer who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Cohen, said no parent would knowingly buy an adult-only video game for their children".

Following from little martinet, the Grandmother did know :? Will she be countersued for knowingly buying a video game for a minor?.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Jackson Monk wrote:Blue. You've raised Mrs Monkster's greatest irritation. She gets really annoyed that British Censors worry about sex/passion being on TV, whilst they allow serious violent scenes (esp on Soaps) to be broadcast before the 9pm watershed.
It's funny though because, historically speaking -- and at least in reference to movies -- it's always seemed to me that English censors were much tougher on violence and horror than American censors/ratings boards. (Didn't there used to be an "H" rating for "horrorific" that was applied to movies like the James Whale "Frankenstein"...I also have a vague memory of "Freaks" being banned there...or possibly here...)

This isn't really about censorship per se, and some of may remember making this comment before, but I always thought it was telling that when Michael Powell made "Peeping Tom" -- a serial killer film with no blood and very little onscreen violence -- British critics and, I suppose, audience members were so appalled that it was pretty much the official end to Powell's filmmaking career, which was on a par with any other director in the world. (The reviews that Powell got rival the most appalled reviews that Q. Tarentino got for "Kill Bill, Vol. 1.")

A few month's later, Powell's former colleague Alfred Hitchcock made "Psycho" -- a film which had actually had considerable blood and violence for its day and shocked and appalled many. But it spun the already very famous Hitchcock into even greater fame and fortune.

But, of course, if Tony Perkins and Janet Leigh had had sex in the shower, well that would of have been it!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

honestly, i think this is a major reason why we (westerners at least) are so very fucked up. (ha. punny.)

violence doesn't seem to bother MANY people. and those same folks are freaked about sex.

it really should be the other way around. violence is much worse for anyone than sex is.

yeah, i'm rambly, what else is new.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bobster

Post by bobster »

Fortunately, sex remains much more common in daily life than violence. (Well, for some of us anyway...if I don't kill someone three times a week, I start to get crabby.)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

the same person over and over bobster???

maybe this should go in the book thread, where necrophilia has been discussed.

or, not.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's because some people think it's real sex, and they can't handle it...
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm sure a lot of people would prefer their eight year old to punch a friend in the face rather than sit on it.
What this world needs is more silly men.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Unfortuanately for a lot of people out there, there is still a lot of mystery in sex, making it very frightening.

In today's world, there is no longer much mystery in violence.
LittleFoole

Re: Did you know that sex is way worse than violence?

Post by LittleFoole »

So, then, what about violent sex ??? Hmmmm ???? ....does the sex make the violence worse, or does the violence tone down the sex ???
A happy medium, perchance ??? Ya got me ???!!!??? :?
bobster

Post by bobster »

I think it's safe to say they all act as intensifiers.

Want a one-way ticket to NC-17 land? Sex+violence (maybe a drive-by shooting during sex?)+cursing during sex+drug-use (during the sex)+cigarette smoking (during, not after, the sex)+animal cruelty (during not after the sex)+vampire violence (the offical reason for the "R" rating for "Queen of the Damned")
migdd

Post by migdd »

Where's Copenhagen Fan when you need him???? :wink:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Good question! He kind of vanished, didn't he?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Probably making a Swedish film sure to be rated NC-17. Hope he's well...
migdd

Post by migdd »

Cop, if you're out there lensing Christina Lindberg's big film comeback, Exponerad II, please check in, big guy!!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'd much rather have sex than violence. :D 8)
alexv

Post by alexv »

Maybe the solution is to find a way to present sex on film and video games in the same cartoonish, over-the-top way that violence is presented in Kill Bill or in The Seven Samurai. Then we could just laugh at it and get on with our lives.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Russ Meyer?
alexv

Post by alexv »

All I know about his films is that they featured giant breasted women. Were they actually having cartoonish, over-the-top sex? If so, that's the ticket. How could little old ladies complain about cartoonish, over-the-top sex?
bobster

Post by bobster »

I've only seen two Meyer films.

"Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill!" which is basically all violence and no overt sex (lots of big-breated women fighting, make of that what you will).

"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" does have some a lot of sex for a more-or-less legit movie -- but to be honest I can't remember specific sex scenes right now. Time for some ginkgo.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I watched "The Godfather" on US TV late last night. The intimate scene after Michael Corleone's wedding, where the virgin bride exposes her breasts to the groom for the first time, was shown with breasts mosaic-ed out. The rest of the movie was pretty much intact.

I then switched over to see some of "Over There", with contained graphic shootings of Iraqi civilians by US troops.

The US has some very fucked up ideas on censorship, and on which images the children (and adults) of this country need to be protected from.
Where's North from 'ere?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

stormwarning wrote:The US has some very fucked up ideas on censorship, and on which images the children (and adults) of this country need to be protected from.
Tell me about it. Why do you think we turn out so many weirdos?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
stormwarning wrote:The US has some very fucked up ideas on censorship, and on which images the children (and adults) of this country need to be protected from.
Tell me about it. Why do you think we turn out so many weirdos?
...and vote for so many?