Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Skip autumn? Never! Its a breathtakingly beautiful time of year! Gimme autumn and spring any day - ill just skip sweaty old summer and brass monkeys winter!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Does it even get that cold where you are?
Nah, Blue, we're basking in sunshine all the time. Wear our flip flops year round. Hell yes, it gets cold here. Let me tell you about the time my dog's water bowl froze. In the kitchen. Really! Swear to god!

But yes, I'm well aware that some places get colder and have worse weather and a really odd definition of warm.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just did the first of my 2-3 autumn leaf clean-ups. Too many for the leaf blower to handle, so it's just me, the rakes and a sore back. Love the foliage - hate the mess.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

mood swung wrote:
Nah, Blue, we're basking in sunshine all the time. Wear our flip flops year round. Hell yes, it gets cold here. Let me tell you about the time my dog's water bowl froze. In the kitchen. Really! Swear to god!

But yes, I'm well aware that some places get colder and have worse weather and a really odd definition of warm.
Here's the thing about winter in warmer climes...sometimes it seems like the people who build houses there have that Torontonian view of, "Oh, it never really gets that cold here. Therefore, insulation and heating systems are a waste of time." And they're not, they're really not.
miss buenos aires

mood swung wrote:

Here's the thing about winter in warmer climes...sometimes it seems like the people who build houses there have that Torontonian view of, "Oh, it never really gets that cold here. Therefore, insulation and heating systems are a waste of time." And they're not, they're really not.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Today autumn was so autumnal you could cut slices of it off and wrap your jaws around it. Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness indeed!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Today autumn was so autumnal you could cut slices of it off and wrap your jaws around it. Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness indeed!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

What's with all the double posts today?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

It's this thing of banwidth and servers and stuff not responding. You click submit, it freezes. You try again, it tells you 'you can not submit another post so soon after the last one' which indicates it had already posted and has now done it twice. I normally then remember to delete number 2, but missed this time. I'm not trying to catch up your tally, honest (though it's a welcome by-product!).
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Otis, even though it may seem like it takes a bit longer, try not to click submit again unless you know for sure that it didn't go through. Doc tells me that clicking twice actually makes things worse and it takes longer, not to mention the double posting thing.

We've taken in an enormous amount of space by housing JohnE's site and have upgraded equipment and invested time and money to make space for everyone. This all should be settling out soon.

But for you impatient ones, resist the urge to click more than once!
Otis Westinghouse

Sorry, will behave. Didn't mean to sound impatient, and I've been the very soul of politeness and gratitude on the relevant thread. You know how it is when something has been restored to normality and then seems to be suffering again...

Yours

Otis of the Single Click
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

It's all from drinking all that plain coffee without flavoring, dear Otis. :wink:

Not to harp on you for being impatient, just reminding everyone to wait a few extra seconds. No big deal. Doc is just out of town right now so I'm rather responding for him.

Carry on. 8)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I know it's kind of gauche and seventies-ish and you should probably be wearing a corduroy jacket with a turtleneck when you eat it, but fondue makes me happy.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

I'm fond too of fondue, Who.
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mrs VG and I went out for a 7 mile walk yesterday in the Kent sunshine. It was glorious weather and the only two people we bumped into were a couple walking their dog.

On another note, Mrs VG started her new job today and 'phoned me at lunchtime. I was mightily relieved to find out she was just calling to say hello and not to say she'd been sacked or resigned :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Go, Mrs. VG!

I thought fondue was trendy again. Or is that just here in the sticks?

I HATE all my Fall footwear. HATE. HATE. HATE!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sounds like an excuse to go shopping MDM!

As far as fondue is concerned I can't say it's ever appealed to me. I am reminded of a wedding I once went to when the bride and groom asked for a fondue set. I asked the bride about it and she said she didn't know what it was but everybody seemed to have one! :roll:

I am fed up with business meetings and having to travel. I've got a meeting tomorrow which is 180 miles each way, another meeting on Thursday afternoon, meetings in London on Friday and Monday and I'm at another meeting which is 130 miles away on Thursday week. And in between that I may have to slot in another meeting. I'm also on a three day/two night stopover at the beginning of November.

BUT I am going on holiday on 12th November for 2 weeks and cannot wait.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This looks absolutely vile...

spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

GROSS!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Could use a little something extra - maybe a little packet of syrup you can pour over the top or little exploding bits of cheese inside. How about wrapping the whole thing in bacon and deep frying it?
miss buenos aires

Fondue can be really good if you have the right cheese and the right wine. You have to get in in France. Just saying. Just being obnoxious.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

But the traditional recipe is Swiss, non? Emmental and Gruyère, widely available (okay, they're pasteurized when imported, but in a recipe where you're heating up the cheese I hardly think that matters). What do you use in the French recipe? Raclette? And what wine. Do tell!
Last edited by Mechanical Grace on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

At any rate, good melted cheese and wine is yummy! I don't know that I've heard of Raclette, MG. I do love fondue though!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mechanical Grace wrote:Raclette? And what wine. Do tell!
Raclette's another dish entirely, isn't it?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »