Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Any pimps up in this hizzhouse?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

If you don't like smoking pot, you really won't like pot brownies.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

any recipies to recommend?
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

miss buenos aires wrote:If you don't like smoking pot, you really won't like pot brownies.
I dunno.....let me take a crack at one of the Hippie Core cookbook recipes and I could probably have you saying "Mazel tov.....hey, my feet are tingling!" in no time.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i'm still at the same shit job i've been at. the one w/ the crap memos and yesterday the evil queen secretary got an AWARD for leadership and mentorship AND a check for $1000 at the annual Recognition Lunch.

i have had some good interviews. there's one job i'm up for now that I REALLYREALLYREALLYREALLYREALLY want. it's executive assistant to a seriously high-powered person, and i WANT THIS JOB.

however, i must wait. there's nothing i can do to move them along.

i wait.

job hunting SUCKS.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Poppet wrote:i'm still at the same shit job i've been at. the one w/ the crap memos and yesterday the evil queen secretary got an AWARD for leadership and mentorship AND a check for $1000 at the annual Recognition Lunch.

i have had some good interviews. there's one job i'm up for now that I REALLYREALLYREALLYREALLYREALLY want. it's executive assistant to a seriously high-powered person, and i WANT THIS JOB.

however, i must wait. there's nothing i can do to move them along.

i wait.

job hunting SUCKS.
Going through something similar myself.....wish I could buy you a beer and commiserate.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

well, next beer i have, i shall raise a toast to job seekers everywhere.

your hopes get raised, you start playing out the scenario of 'how would this job work?' in your head, you start thinking 'yeah, this would work'... then they say no. and it likely doesn't even have anything really to do with you. someone else has a slightly better skill set. someone else knows the bosses daughter's track coach. someone else was wearing a brown suit that just struck the interviewer in just the right way. you can't actually compete against that.

and there's no way around getting the hopes up, unless you don't want the job to start with.

it's sucky. but, there appears to be no other way to do it. so, we keep at it.

GOOD LUCK El Vez!!!!!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

sorry about that poppet. keep trying!

good luck to El Vez, too.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Come down to the deep south sometime and I'll make a batch just for you, Shatterproof! 8)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

So Im watching VH1 just now, they are playing the 40 worst love songs, number 30 something is Chicago and "You Are The Inspiration", and Im watching the video and thinking, is he wearing a Bauhaus t-shirt? Am I going mad? Have I been eating Miss BA's cookies? No, I check on the web with a google of Cetera and Bauhaus and sure enough others have noticed. My mind is stuggling to come to terms with this. :shock:

echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

ok, now they have the members of Antigone Rising critiquing these horrid love songs. I mean as if they are in any position to be passing judgement - a quick search of their lyrics turns up this gem :

Heard you talk about leavin'
Heard you talk about leavin' before
Heard you talk about givin' up on me
Heard you talk about changin'
But talk is cheap and I've heard it all before
It used to be that I'd fall apart
but that don't work no more
Cause you cant leave half way
And i cant let you stay

ARRRGGGGHHHH

I have to turn off the TV and get out.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

1. shaving your legs when you have mosquito bites = summer hell

2. Cocoa Puffs and cold skim milk make a fine supper when the temps are in the 90s and the humidity's through the roof.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

What are you suppose to do when it is a nice day outside, but the temperature is in the nineties so you don't feel like doing anything?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

hopefully nothing
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Today I was asked to vacate my house for 75% of its actual true market value so that it can be demolished to make room for the 7th Starbucks within a one mile radius of my kitchen. Starbucks pays significantly greater property taxes than do I. Thus, and in accordance with the 3rd amendment (as many of the more liberal judges of the Supreme Court read it) the ability to take private prperty for public use actually means that you can take private property and give it to other private interests, like developers and big retail stores/chains, because it will generate more PUBLIC TAXES.

The framers of the Constitution intended "public use" to mean the necessity to build dams, power plants, bridges, utilities, etc. The left side of the court interprets it differently, and the 5-4 vote spells dome for the healthy and happy blue cllar neighborhood in New London CT that will be destroyed to make room for private interests/condo developers who will pay much higher prperty taxes. In America. Home of the Free.

Hug your sofa today. If indeed my neighborhood in Southern California is deemed a perfect spot for a new mega mall (I live within a reasonable 'extended' area of the Town Center of my little city) then I can be forced out with relatively short notice, and for what the 'fairmarket value' is, could not purchase a like home anywhere in Orange County. I would be forced to relocate out of state.

It is now federally mandated. It can happen to you. Where is A Rope Leash now, especially since he has been the most ardent predictor of such travesties of government.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

DrSpooky wrote:I really don't know why it broke or when it got broken but uploading avatars should work again. If you tried to upload an avatar and failed, go ahead and try it again.
Thanks Doc.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

he's back and looking lovely!

spraying the grill with Pam prior to bbq'ing was a good idea.

spraying the grill with Pam after starting the fire was not.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Mr. A, you're not the only one hurting. We were asked to leave for what we paid for the house when we bought it (never mind that it wasnt inhabitable when we got it got $22,000 in 1989- its insured for $200,000 now!) so they could build a strip mall. This funny thing is, we're the only house for at least a half mile either way...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:spraying the grill with Pam prior to bbq'ing was a good idea.

spraying the grill with Pam after starting the fire was not.
LOL. Did you get singed? You need too be careful to go easy on the olive oil too - can start flame-ups.

I'm a little old skool when it comes to grilling - charcoal only with a chimney starter. That Cowboy Charcoal they sell at Trader Joe's is my favorite. No briquets!

Did some lovely chicken breasts stuffed wiith fresh mozzarella and sage on Saturday, along with zucchini. You just cut the zucchini longways into quarters, then brush with olive oil and sprikle with Montreal steak seasoning. Yum!

All topped off with nice cool slices of watermelon!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: That Cowboy Charcoal they sell at Trader Joe's is my favorite.
Yes!!! That is the BEST stuff!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote:he's back and looking lovely!
Thanks... I do what I can. And you never seem to run out of sprightliness.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I really like the Joni Mitchell song "Just Like This Train", but every time I hear it I think that the first line is "I'm Otis Redding..."
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

The whole rubber-band bracelet thing has gotten out of control. Bit by bit, Lance A.'s yellow "Strength" has given way to generic lime-green ones ironically saying "Bling!", etc.

However, despite that, I bought 2 Red Sox ones yesterday to wear on my vacation to the Jersey Shore (Yankee Territory!). A red one with a number 24 (Manny Ramirez!) and a blue one with 33 (Jason Varitek). And I got the Johnny Damon one for my son. With any luck we will not get beat up...
bobster

Post by bobster »

This thread is starting to take on a bit of a Larry King quality.

Which reminds me...Don Knotts is a truly underrated comic actor....When you're in L.A., remember to stop by Johnny's Pastrami, best French-dip pastrami in town....I may be crazy, but Sandra Bullock reminds me of none other than the great Audrey Hepburn....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Only yesterday i was strolling in downtown Kettering, when I had the strangest realisation that in a big country, dreams stay with you like a lover's voice across the mountain side.....

....not sure why, but these things just happen sometime....and you need to take heed....

...I'm off to the pub
corruptio optimi pessima