My Car Accident

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Glad youre okay, Spooky!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Glad you're ok Spooky.

Re: Old folks getting around - If their licenses start getting revoked it should be made up for by "shopping tour" buses or something. It must be fun, losing your mind and getting to test your cognitive limits in driving and other fun ways, on a daily basis
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

My prayers (and other positive, non-religious thoughts) are with you, honey! Car accidents are awful--and a pain in the ass to clean up, what with the insurance and the medical bills and all that.

As for old folks on the roads, it HAS to stop. Too many old people are driving around hitting people--but more than that, too many of them are going too damn slow!!!! Nearly every day on the way home I get stuck behind this woman who insists on going 35 in a 45 mph zone. And I CANNOT pass her for at least a mile...grrr....
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Seriously, people. I didn't think my day could get any worse. I woke up sore with five children to get to school (my sister-in-law is very sick so my nephew was with us last night), so we get them all delivered and then my hubby and I are on our way to get a rental van to replace the one that was hit. BAM! The transmission on his car gives out. Un-damn-believable. So, we wait on the side of the road for the tow truck to come. Then we get the tow truck guy to drop us off at Enterprise to pick up the rental van - which is all we were trying to do to start with.

I would ask could this day get any worse, but I just won't jinx myself.

Did you ever have one of these days? Perhaps this should be a big old thread all by itself. :?
little martinet

Post by little martinet »

UN-freakin-believeable, Spooky!!! I'm glad to hear you're OK after the accident, but to have the other car conk out too...simply sucks. I'm thinkin of you...things can only get better from now on!!
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

i thought i was having a "broke the camels back" day, but girl you got me beat. i am planning on rum drinks with lots of ice tonight. i would be happy to make one for you.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Cars suck, Spooky. I hate them.

What you need is one them nice, reliable, won't-let-you-down, icy rum drinks firebetty's talking about.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

You know ladies, I have plenty of rum in the house. Just stocked up the other day - not knowing how much I would need it now.

I have regular rum and coconut rum. Which one are we drinking? I'll pour one for everybody. :)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

when it rains, it pours. hoping the sunshine shows up damn soon at your place.

and could i have a hot toddy? at home w/ a sore throat and sniffles.

a toast! to sunshine, in all its metaphorical forms.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

On the house even, Poppet. A hot toddy for you - and best wishes to feel like new again.

Goody and Firebetty still drink rum with me.

Anybody else? I've got a stocked liquor cabinet right now so hurry!

Gosh, I'm still really sore. Thanks again to everyone for the kind wishes. I hold on to your thoughts for my luck to turn around soon. :)
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Hey, Spooky. I just got around to reading about your accident, and I want to offer my sympathy. I'm glad you're okay, and I'm praying for your speedy recovery.

Even though I'm a relatively infrequent poster, I recognize the kindness and love that you show everyone on the board, and I wanted to add my name to the list of those who want you to know that it doesn't go unnoticed. Take care, and get well soon.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

My dear Mr. Brain, how kind. I am trying to relax and drink good wine and/or fabulous mixed drinks until my muscle tension seems to pass. I am really a soft-hearted person and am just still in shock that someone could hit my vehicle and keep driving without stopping. When I got out from the accident all I remember is seeing people come toward me - I didn't even know who I had collided with at that point. Everyone around me told me what happened and how well I did to avoid as much as I did.

Funny, I don't remember much about it - just instinctive to try and survive I suppose.

Between summer activities with the kids and vacation, etc., I have not had as much of a chance to post lately. But you all have been wonderful to get me back on my feet again after this unfortunate mishap. Life is cruel - I am glad for my connections around the world here on the EC fans board. Within hours I had messages from so many around the globe - possible through our collective love for Elvis. Thanks again! You guys are really the best!!
A rope leash

Skreech!

Post by A rope leash »

Nasty luck, there, Spooky. Did you have an airbag and seatbelt? Glad you're allright...

Just today, coming back from South Dakota, an old man forced me over to the shoulder. I just flipped him off like I would have anyone else. Hell, I'd been fighting truckers and bikers for days, so I'm gonna let this old fuck kill me? I think not! Just the other day a business aquaintence of mine died in a major accident. It's dangerous out there, so look out!

The elderly need to be competence tested every year. My mom quit driving when she forgot where she was going, and couldn't get back. She was going to the beauty shop. the only place she ever drove to for years and years. She wound up at gas station, where she asked the owner to call us to come get her. She had no business driving, but legally, she couldn't be stopped.

Now, Spooky, I have to ask you the question I ask everyone that's involved in a wreck: Do you recall it in slow motion?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I am also glad you're fine, Spooky. Or, you know, not fine, but with sore muscles and not a broken bone or eight.

My grandfather insisted on driving into his eighties. My mother pointed out that he had cataracts and couldn't read stop signs. "It's okay," he said. "Mary Ruth tells me when to stop." After I got hit, my mother convinced him to stop driving. But it was a struggle; if I hadn't been hurt, who knows what would have made him give it up.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Okay, time to put in my "two cents worth"...

While I agree that older folks should be tested more often (because of the rapidity in which certain aspects of their health deteriorates), I don't believe it should be mandatory for anyone to have to give up their driver's license at a given age...

For example, was rear-ended by a 70's something gentleman while sitting at a stop light a few years back; for some reason, despite the fact that he was at a dead stop, he suddenly floored his Continental, climbed the ass-end of my VW Beetle (car was a complete loss), then tried to go on his merry way. When I gave chase (yes, the car was functional still, but jyst barely) he pulled into his driveway (2 blocks away from where I live) & proceeded to give me his "insurance information"...which appeared to be a Senior Membership card of some type, but nothing to do with insurance.

4 vehicles in his drive, all with front end damage. It would appear that he has has Alzheimer's disease for some time, should NOT have been behind the wheel of any vehicle (no license), but his "minders" were not keeping him under proper supervison. Needless to say, got no recompense for the damage.

On the other hand, my Grandmother just turned 90 in July. She recently took her driving test, and passed with a score of 98%. She lives alone, doesn't drive often (twice a week), and has never been in an accident. How cool is that?

:D
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Hey Spooky, I just read your thread. Very glad you're all right. I was in a bad accident just before New Year's. I was soooooo sore the next 2 days. I wasn't completely OK for a couple of months. As for elderly drivers, I really don't know what to say. My mother has just turned 86 and she is still driving. I wish she wouldn't, I so afraid she is going to hurt herself or someone else, but it is the only way she has to get out of her house. She has no friends (which is her fault really but still sad). It's a worry I live with.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I have had so little time to read the board recently and I guess that this is old news now. When i saw this message today, i just wanted to add that I'm very glad that you are in fine fettle Spooks.

The board would be lost without you.

Peace and love
JD
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."