New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Steve Forbert's coming to my sleepy little town to play at lour local club, the Towne Crier, in... January! I know a lot of folks on here are big fans - should I go?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Absolutely! Steve puts on a great show, never mails it in and has a really strong connection with his audiences that is fun to be a part of. He's definitely worth checking out, WSS.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

El Vez wrote:Absolutely! Steve puts on a great show, never mails it in and has a really strong connection with his audiences that is fun to be a part of. He's definitely worth checking out, WSS.
Cool. Will put it on my calendar. We get the occasional interesting show at the Crier. I saw Dave Alvin there a few months ago. Also Pat Metheny and Larry Coryell in 2003. It's nice to be able to roll out of bed and see a good show - getting down to Manhattan to see weekkday shows can be difficult and I'm usually dead the next day, like I am today after the Eels concert.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Going to see Dylan for the first time ever at the Brixton Academy in November. Am very excited cos a) even if it's a more miss than hit night, this is still Dylan, one of the best ever, b) it's the Brixton Academy - never been, and it's a nice small size for such a name, c) it's standing, d) I wouldn't have known about it were it not for a Dylan fan friend who happens to be on the Brixton mailing list. No idea if willie nelso will be on this stretch. I assume not. The setlists on bobdylan.com for the Merle Haggard/Willie Nelson partnered tours this year have been pretty short, 12-14 songs, probably. Does he play a longer set if not sharing the bill?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's a better link for details and reviews of Bob shows. That Brixton date looks good, though it'll be at the end of the tour so Bobs voice will be even more shot to hell than usual. He should play for around 90 minutes and, unless, he revamps his band again, should have quite a country sound going.

Off to see Josh Rouse and Aimee Mann next week, monday and friday, so my ears will have time to recover.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Ive managed to see Bob 4 times in the last couple of years and have had an awesome time each time. I would imagine he will have a different set list to the American shows of late. But expect him to spend all his time behind a keyboard.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

What show are you going to Otis? I see the Sunday is already sold out, I may try for one of the other days, have to see if anyone wants to go with me first.

Brixton Academy is a good venue, with a big standing area, bars aplenty although still packed.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Sunday - my mate was fast! Isn't it all standing downstairs, or part seating? Sits 4,700, I read, which is more than I expected. How many do you reckon the Hammy Odeon holds? Reviews of his London 'tour' (when he played Brixton and I can't remember where else but 3 or so other similarly-sized venues in the same week) from a few years back were very good. Were you (or maybe another boardhead) there, Solack?
Otis Westinghouse

Mike Boom wrote:Ive managed to see Bob 4 times in the last couple of years and have had an awesome time each time. I would imagine he will have a different set list to the American shows of late. But expect him to spend all his time behind a keyboard.
Why a different setlist? From the setlists(and every single gig is there in full detail) it looks like his solo shows are normally 16-17 songs, and nearly always fetaure a handful of the classics, Rolling Stone, Just Like a Woman, and often Highway 61, and always a lot of slightly less famous but still classic earlier things, and a lot of favourites get chucked in here and there, e.g. Visions of Johanna, Forever Young, Positively 4th Street. In other words, it's a bit like Elvis, but with possibly even more variation of songs featured, if that's possible! (Probably less, because he plays so many fewer songs per night!) I'm gonna have to brush up. There are whole classic LPs I've never heard, e.g. Nashville Skyline, and also I don't know Love and Theft, which I guess he's playing stuff from. I read about the keyboard. Can't imagine Bob without a guitar!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

BA is all standing downstairs whenever I've been, must be about 5000 standing. Hammy seats 2 or 3 thousand at a guess, maybe less. I've never seen him before either!
signed with love and vicious kisses
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I envy you, Otis. I'd love to see Dylan live again soon, and I'd love to hear Nashville Skyline & Love And Theft for the first time. Not counting the Basement Tapes, they're definitely his most enjoyable (as in feel-good and funny) albums . Next to last time I saw him he did Country Pie (NS), and I smiled so hard my (face) cheeks went stiff the day after. If I'd hear Po' Boy (L&T) they'd most likely fall off. And the gloomier side of L&T is as good as Time Out Of Mind - High Water, Sugar Baby, Cry Awhile (which I'm guessing Elvis modelled the CD version of Needle Time on).

I haven't checked the setlists for the piano tours, but it would seem like a perfect setup for great New Morning songs like Sign On The Window, Day Of The Locusts, If Dogs Run Free, Time Passes Slowly and The Man In Me. And he chose to write about that record in Chronicles 1 too. Do you know if he does any of that stuff, Otis? Or Dirge? Or Angelina? Or Blind Willie McTell? Alright, I'll check myself.
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

So Lack - You can always get the tour DVD, ... if there is one.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Why a different setlist?
Otis
Just because he changes it alot, and Im sure has a few different songs and a few treats lined up for London.
I would advise buying Love and Theft though, Summerdays was a real highlight of the last show I saw.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Will do. Don't think I've seen any of those listed, King. Would love to hear Dirge.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Eels with Strings doing another round of European dates (the Royal Albert Hall gig sounds tasty). I hope E decides to do another round of North American shows too:

Oct. 2, 2005 Nijmegen, Holland, Stadsschouwburg
Oct. 3, 2005 Tilburg, Holland, 013
Oct. 4, 2005 Den Haag, Holland, World Forum Theatre
Oct. 5, 2005 Antwerp, Belgium, Queen Elizabeth Hall
Oct. 6, 2005 Zurich, Switzerland, Kongresszentrum Spirgarten
Oct. 7, 2005 Fribourg, Switzerland, Fris-son
Oct. 8, 2005 Milan, Italy, Conservatorie Sala Verdi
Oct. 10, 2005 Paris, France, Grand Rex
Oct. 11, 2005 Lille, France, Grand Mix
Oct. 12, 2005 London, UK, Royal Albert Hall
Otis Westinghouse

Going to see Josh Rouse on Monday. Anyone seen him live?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Yeah, I've seen him live twice and really liked it, but I haven't really gotten into his records yet.

No Eels in Scandinavia of course. (gnashing of teeth)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bummer. Go-Betweens are touring while we're in Australia, but none of their dates coincide with our itinerary, either in Sydney or Melbourne. Any Aussies know how far Hepburn Springs is from Melbourne? Is it an easy drive? Might be worth a day trip if it's not too far away.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Going to see Josh Rouse on Monday. Anyone seen him live?
No, but I'd like to. Nashville is superb. My daughter's favorite summer record so far, though I did catch her singing along to Pernice Brothers' "Saddest Quo" in the car the other day.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm also eager to Rouse. Missed him on his last visit, and was supposed to see him open for the Jayhawks in 2004, but fell ill the morning of the show. Still upset about that one.

Solo acoustic Springsteen tonight. Will report here tomorrow!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Bummer. Go-Betweens are touring while we're in Australia, but none of their dates coincide with our itinerary, either in Sydney or Melbourne. Any Aussies know how far Hepburn Springs is from Melbourne? Is it an easy drive? Might be worth a day trip if it's not too far away.
It's an hour away from Melbourne! http://www.hepburnshire.com.au/Page/Pag ... Page_Id=48
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Bummer. Go-Betweens are touring while we're in Australia, but none of their dates coincide with our itinerary, either in Sydney or Melbourne. Any Aussies know how far Hepburn Springs is from Melbourne? Is it an easy drive? Might be worth a day trip if it's not too far away.
It's an hour away from Melbourne! http://www.hepburnshire.com.au/Page/Pag ... Page_Id=48
Hmm - time to call the rent-a-car?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Went to see Bruce Springsteen solo and acoustic last night. A hockey arena seemed like a ridiculous choice in venue for the show, but they set up the stage in the middle, and closed off half of the venue so that there weren't nearly as many people there. Still a huge audience, sold out of course.

For those of you who like Bruce and passed up the opportunity to see him solo and acoustic. Shame on you! It was an unbelievable show, and a much different experience than seeing him with the E-Street band (as great an experience as that might be). For the most part, it was Springsteen with acoustic guitar and harmonica, singing new songs from Devils & Dust, acoustic arrangements of songs from The Rising ("Empty Sky"), and a few gems from Ghost of Tom Joad ("Highway 29").

Bruce also played the piano on a few songs, quite memorably for the early "Lost In The Flood", "Wreck On The Highway" and "For You". He later returned to the acoustic guitar for a rare performance of "Wild Billy's Circus Story," which was good fun but sounded naked without the accordion and tuba.

It was "State Trooper" that did me in though. Man... he brought out this hollow-body electric gutiar and just did it perfectly.. complete with the "whoooooooooooooooo-wee!"

Setlist:

1. Into the Fire (pump organ)
2. Reason to Believe (total rearrangement.. harmonica, vocal, and footstomping only
3. Devils & Dust
4. Empty Sky
5. Long Time Comin'
6. Highway 29
7. For You (piano)
8. Two Faces (piano)
9. State Trooper
10. All I'm Thinkin' About
11. Brilliant Disguise
12. Reno
13. Wreck on the Highway (electric piano)
14. Lost in the Flood (piano)
15. The Rising
16. Further on (Up the Road)
17. Jesus Was an Only Son (piano)
18. This Hard Land
19. The Hitter
20. Matamoros Banks

Encore:

21. Darlington County
22. Bobby Jean
23. Wild Billy's Circus Story
24. The Promised Land (total rearrangement.. different melody and everything)
25. Dream Baby Dream (pump organ)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Must have been fabulous.

Josh Rouse live also recommended. Closing track 'Slaveship'. Josh sans guitar, addressing his many female admirers 'I love you, would you marry me?'
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Robbie Fulks - Brilliant

I was on vacation last week and decided to see a live show. Robbie was playing here in Pittsburgh and I e-mailed El Vez (see BT) to see if this was a good decision. It was a great show! Just him alone on stage with an amplified acoustic guitar. The man can play guitar. If you wonder where the next generation of country stars like Hank and George Jones are, Robbie is it. He has a good sense of humor, too. Some songs of his are funny and he told some funny stories. He even did a cover of Cher's If You Believe In Love and he made it sound good.

I then bought his new album Georgia Hard and it is great. He's got a hilarious song on it called 'I'm Gonna Take You Home (And Make You Like Me) which alone is worth the price of the album. Well,...... almost.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain