New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by pophead2k »

The Hold Steady at the legendary Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill on Tuesday. I'm not as keen as the friend I'm going with, but should be a good show.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Interesting about the Chuck Berry show, John Foyle. I've seen him play at Blueberry Hill here in St. Louis and I can't remember if it is a weekly gig for him or a monthly gig, but it always sells out. As you mention, the backing band pretty much carries him, but it was still cool to see such a legend up-close and in-person.

In other news . . . Nick Lowe has some new October dates up on his website. Might try to catch the one in Chicago.
http://www.nicklowe.net/tourdates.php
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:In other news . . . Nick Lowe has some new October dates up on his website. Might try to catch the one in Chicago.
http://www.nicklowe.net/tourdates.php
Might have to look into that show in Tarrytown. Double bill with Graham Parker. Oh yes!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Emotional Toothpaste

Nick with Graham!! Now THATS the show I want to see. Where the H is Tarrytown?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:Nick with Graham!! Now THATS the show I want to see. Where the H is Tarrytown?
About 25 miles north of NYC on the Hudson River.

Booked! The wife is in. She's going to be in Vegas (ugh) on her birthday earlier in the week, so we will make an evening of it!

Thanks for the heads up, toothpaste!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Emotional Toothpaste

Good for you WSS. I'm jealous. Hopefully they'll go on tour together for all the dates, but thats probably just wishful thinking.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Got tickets for Sam Phillips in a small club next month here in Pgh. I hope it's worth the $35
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I saw her support Elvis 6 times in 1991! I got a free cassette every night.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

I've just received a Congratulations email to say my name has been put on the guestlist for The Fratellis at the Apple Store in Regent Street on Monday. I can also take a guest. :D
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Booked to see Neil Young in December, supported by some band called Wilco. I hope they're good.

:D :D :D :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

verbal gymnastics wrote:I've just received a Congratulations email to say my name has been put on the guestlist for The Fratellis at the Apple Store in Regent Street on Monday. I can also take a guest. :D
It was excellent. They played 10 songs acoustically and we got a nice laminated pass which entitles us to download 10 free tunes from iTunes.

I've managed to book tickets for Oasis in October and then The Fratellis again in December (the night before we go to see James).

I don't have any secrets from Mrs VG. Perhaps now is the time to start :lol:
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

I am off to see Squeeze tonight and just found out that Ron Sexsmith is opening up for them.....very cool!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Thanks for posting this Goodbye Girl. I went and looked at Squeeze's schedule and saw that they are playing tomorrow night about 15 minutes away me and I bought a couple of tickets.

I should bring an "OTIS LOVES YOU" sign to hold up during Ron Sexmith's set (though I didn't see Ron get a mention on the venue website).

*VG will remind us that this is not really Squeeze - rather Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers with special guest Chris Difford.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Boy With A Problem wrote:I should bring an "OTIS LOVES YOU" sign to hold up during Ron Sexmith's set
Don't worry, he knows (especially as I post under the same nom de plume on his own site, rubbing shoulders with the great man). I don't think Exit Strategy is up there with his best, but it's certainly welcoming and lovable. Probably doesn't contain a single song for the Tower of Ron, though. That said, all I need now is Ron to play Cambridge again this autumn and my gig schedule will be blissfully complete.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Boy With A Problem

I hope Ron is opening up - I'd like to give him a chance live.

Strange venue - semi ambitious booking for where it's located - 20 miles from Boston with no public transportation .....I see From The Jam are playing there next month, but it's a seated gig....probably too close for me not to go and the wife can drop me off and pick me up enabling me to drink appropriately for the ocassion.

http://showcaselive.com/
Last edited by Boy With A Problem on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Dave Brubeck! Blimey O'Reilly.

From The Jam seated seems silly.

Good on your wife.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm seeing Squeeze on Thursday and Aimee Mann is opening. To be honest, I'm more excited about Mann than I am about Squeeze!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Saw Squeeze/Ron last night in Torrington, Ct. Surprised to see Ron as opening act, which made it nice. Had seen him last year, in bad voice, at Hammerstein Ballroom with band. It was nice to see him, in great voice, doing a short acoustic set. Modest as usual. Noted that this was his first time in Ct. and wondered whether anyone knew who he was. Got a nice response. Played a few songs from new album. I'm with Otis on that: it's ok Ron, but not a favorite. Noted that in the last few years he's been obsessed with his favorite singer...Bing Crosby and that he's been writing songs for him to cover. Played a couple. Very nice.

Squeeze was great. Played all the "hits", and surprisingly, at least to me, the predominantly middle aged crowd was up on its feet dancing through most of it. We were sitting behind a rotund couple (the woman's derriere was to put it kindly monumental) and even they "boogied" to Hourglass et.al. That was funny. It was great to see some young kids, singing and mouthing the lyrics to practically all the songs. You don't see much of that at EC shows. Hadn't seen Squeeze since back in the 80s at the Ritz in NYC when the floor shook during Annie. Not quite the same effect all these years later, but still a great show.
verbal gymnastics

Boy With A Problem wrote:*VG will remind us that this is not really Squeeze - rather Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers with special guest Chris Difford.
:lol: Cruel but so true!
Boy With A Problem wrote:I see From The Jam are playing there next month, but it's a seated gig....probably too close for me not to go and the wife can drop me off and pick me up enabling me to drink appropriately for the ocassion.
You've got to go BWAP.

And you've got to have a drink else you might have a sober experience like when you saw The Jamm!
Otis Westinghouse

alexv wrote:Noted that in the last few years he's been obsessed with his favorite singer...Bing Crosby and that he's been writing songs for him to cover. Played a couple. Very nice.
Great piece of info! I take it these are unrecorded songs. Perhaps he'll go ahead and record an album of songs written for Bing. Certainly a unique concept. A quick search on the Ron board reveals Bing in Riverbed. Ron writes:

'Bing is definitely in "Riverbed"
I was trying to write a sort of Stephen Foster type song
and Bing recorded alot of those songs like "Home On The Range" and "Beautiful Dreamer" '
migdd

Post by migdd »

Just booked 8th row seats to John Hiatt and the Ageless Beauties at the wonderful Tivoli Theatre in Chattanooga (spooky, are ya out there?) on September 19. Hiatt always puts on a great show and his latest touring band is fantastic. Patrick O'Hearn plays upright bass and used to play with Frank Zappa. Kan Blevins is the drummer for Hiatt's best known band, The Goners. Really looking forward to this show!

Also on the agenda is Graham Parker, solo, in Charlotte on November 6. I think I already posted this. Never seen GP solo before but I really enjoy his Live, Alone in America album.

Lucinda Williams is playing the Belk Theatre in Charlotte on Sept. 29. Looking at that one really hard!!!
Boy With A Problem

Hiatt is playing tomorrow night at the place I saw Squeeze last night. Left the house at 10 til 8 was back home by 10:30 (caught the beginning and end of the Sox/Yankees game).

Squeeze (Glen Tilbrook & The Fluffers with special guest Chris Difford) played all the hits - exceptionally new and clean venue....and the audience was very clean as well. clean clean clean.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just got back from the Squeeze show, featuring the sublime Aimee Mann as support. Ron Sexsmith was there. In fact, he walked in just before us. He did not perform, though. I also didn't tell him how awesome he is, but he was among friends so I didn't want to embarrass him.

Aimee Mann's opening set was an hour in length, and it was clear as many people were there for her as for Squeeze.

Aimee Mann:

1. Stranger into Starman
2. Looking For Nothing
3. Freeway
4. Phoenix
5. Save Me
6. Wise Up
7. Great Beyond
8. Red Vines (solo acoustic... really well done)
9. Columbus Avenue
10. 31 Today
11. Borrowing Time
12. Today's The Day
13. How Am I Different

Then came Squeeze. Glenn Tilbrook in yellow mustard suit, with a fan positioned so that his hair was constantly blowing. Chris Difford. Another old guy who supposed was in Squeeze early on - John Bentley. And two younger guys, Fluffers I suppose; like you guys were saying.

1. Strong In Reason
2. If I Didn't Love You
3. Revue
4. Up The Junction
5. Take Me I'm Yours
6. I Think I'm Go Go
7. Separate Beds
8. Piccadilly
9. It's So Dirty
10. Black Coffee In Bed
11. Annie Get Your Gun
12. Goodbye Girl
13. Tempted
14. Melody Motel
15. Slaughtered, Gutted and Heartbroken
16. Is That Love?
17. Cool For Cats
18. Another Nail In My Heart
19. Hour Glass

Encore:

20. Some Fantastic Place
21. Slap & Tickle
22. Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)
Otis Westinghouse

Great night out, and Aimee and Squeeze don't sound bad either! (boom boom) Actually, two cracking setlists. Most of my faves from both. I think the combo of Save Me and Wise Up would make me implode or melt or something.
alexv

Post by alexv »

We have to come up with another reference to the current "squeeze" line-up, folks. Bentley played bass at the show I attended, and also at Blue's, so that means it's not strictly a GT and the F's show. More like an "early Squeeze, minus Carrack, Jools and Gilson". 3 out of 5 ain't bad.