New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by BlueChair »

This is one of the strangest Legend-covering-Legend covers I've seen since Dylan covered "Brown Sugar" a few tours ago.

http://dailymotion.alice.it/tag/rock/vi ... life_music
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band last night in Copenhagen. Three great hours with perfect versions of Im on Fire, Spirit in the Night, Trapped, Badlands and Ramrod to name a few.

Second time I saw him on this tour and the fourth time in total. Never seen him in a better mood than last night. :D
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Shakey was in great form tonight in Cork, doing much the same set that John saw last night in Malahide. Wonderful venue, basically a circus tent, great warm sound, not too loud. Most of the set was a good mix of old & new, finishing with the awesome Words and The Hidden Path. Humbling to see Neil still raging away, after his health scare I thought we'd seen the last of him. Wonderful audience as well, none of the steak-every-night atittude of Dublin audiences, really up for having a good time. It's been a quarter century since I was here visiting our grandparents. The odd weird deja vu moment asides, it's been a great visit, I'll be back.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Raising Sand was one of my favourite albums of 2007, so when I found out that the Robert Plant & Alison Krauss tour would be pulling in to town, with T Bone Burnett no less, I knew I'd have to be there.

Needless to say the concert was not a disappointment. What a great performance! Obviously Plant and Krauss are perfectly capable of commanding a stage on their own... and they did... but the band was something else. T Bone Burnett on one guitar, Buddy Miller on another, the utterly fantastic rhythm section of Dennis Crouch on upright bass and Jay Bellirose on drums... and some other guy who was very talented on banjo and violin but I can't for the life of my remember his name.

Highlights included Krauss' impressive take on Tom Waits' "Tramped Rose" and an incredible version of "The Battle of Evermore," with Krauss filling in for the late Sandy Denny.

I didn't grab or write down a setlist, and nobody seems to have posted one elsewhere yet, so here's the best I can come up with using a setlist from last week. It may be a song or two off:

1. Rich Woman
2. Leave My Woman Alone
3. Black Dog
4. Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us
5. Through the Morning, Through the Night
6. Goodbye and So Long to You
7. Fortune Teller
8. In the Mood (into Matty Groves)
9. Black Country Woman
10. Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler (T Bone Burnett on lead vocal)
11. Trampled Rose
12. Green Pastures
13. Down to the River to Pray
14. Nothin’
15. The Battle of Evermore
16. Please Read the Letter
17. Gone Gone Gone

Encore:

18. You Don’t Knock
19. One-Woman Man
20. Your Long Journey
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Chair, is that the same Buddy Miller that's married to Julie Miller?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Indeed. Very talented musician.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tomorrow I go to Dundalk, Co.Louth to see Philip Glass doing a solo piano show in St Patrick’s Cathedral. Haven't a clue about the venue . Some older church buildings can have awful acoustics. I worked for a year in Dundalk about 20 years ago so it'll be interesting to see if it's changed much.The close by border to Northern Ireland meant the 'troubles' were an abiding presence.

Hopefully the chipper on Park St. still does their awesome chicken burgers. I'll have to pretend that I'm only having one for old time's sake and that my dietary habits have , of course, progressed.

http://www.louthcms.org/
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wow JF strikes again! Another great one, I'd say. Quite a name for Dundalk to host. I reckon that'll be pretty memorable.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Going to see King Khan & the Shrines at the Mercury Lounge on Aug. 2. Supposed to put on an incredible live show, so this should be something.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Going to see King Khan & the Shrines at the Mercury Lounge on Aug. 2. Supposed to put on an incredible live show, so this should be something.
You won't be disappointed. Red and I went to see them as part of North-by-Northeast two or three years ago. It's like Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, but substitute the short African-American woman for a skinny Indian guy. I think most of the Shrines are actually German dudes, but they're pretty good at channeling all sorts of American genres... soul... funk... psychedelic rock... etc.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Philip Glass turned in a pretty mesmeric show. Besides lengthy solo piano pieces from right across his career , he played with some locally based musicians, a suggestion from the promoter that he was , apparently, delighted to comply with. The two hour show was in a stunning setting, a church with highly ornate stained glass windows. There were lights on the alter for the musicians, leaving the rest of the building to get dimmer as the evening light faded. The place was stuffed , with people standing at the back. The pews were a bit tough on the nether regions, with grimaces all round as Philip announced that there would not be the listed interval. In a way the combination of discomfort and the hypnotic effect of his characteristic use of repetition worked , in that one's senses were heightened and you just got lost in the music. When the show ended with Philip's final note segueing into the church's bell marking the hour (10 o'clock) it was just perfect - and got a laugh!

Otherwise my return to Dundalk was pleasant enough. I met some people whom I'd known in Dublin years ago and we ended up in their local which had me on the early bus back to Dublin with a sore head and , thankfully , a relatively undemanding day a work. The chicken burger was disappointment ; maybe my culinary standards have risen after all.

Programme

Philip Glass - piano -( solo, piece not listed in programme, I didn't note it)
Ioana Petcu Colan ( Violin) , Philip Glass - Piano - Knee Play 2 from Einstein on the Beach
Dublin Guitar Quartet - Company and Mishima
Gerard McChrystal ( saxophone) and Philip Glass - Facades
Philip Glass - solo piano , Etudes II and Metamorphoses II and IV
Encore - Philip with Ioana Petcu Colan and Philip solo ( pieces , again, not noted)

http://www.irish-architecture.com/build ... ricks.html

http://www.irish-architecture.com/build ... erior.html
Otis Westinghouse

Splendid. Love the idea of the nether regions being hypnotised by the music,

I love this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glassworks/dp/B ... 997&sr=1-2

The combination of the simple Opening and the madly active Floe is a wonder.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tomorrow I go see Chuck Berry do a club show here in Dublin. His in-concert reputation , iffy for years, seems to be somewhat restored of late so this could be great or awful. Whatever - he's a legend and I haven't seen him before and am grateful for this chance to do so.

His London shows in the last few days seem to have been alright -

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 368528.ece
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Went to see She & Him (Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward) last night at Toronto's historic Opera House, a venue I had never been to before. It was the first show of a brief tour and an excellent performance, but I was disappointed with how short it was. The band was on at 10:30 and had finished its encore by 11:20. The opening act, Freakwater, played for nearly as long!

I don't remember the exact order of the setlist, but they played 11 of the 13 tracks from Volume One, starting with "Black Hole" and ending with "Sweet Darlin'." Zooey played piano on a handful of tracks, including "Sentimental Heart" and "I Thought I Saw Your Face Today." The band left the stage a few times so Ward and Deschanel could duet on "You Really Got A Hold On Me" and a great, stripped-down cover of Joni Mitchell's "You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio." They also played a new song written since the album.

The band was great, and featured a very pregnant bass player. It's also worth mentioning that Zooey sounded way better last night than she did on any of the TV appearances I've seen to promote the album. I think she's over whatever form of stage fright she had during those tapings.

As was the case with the album, I would have liked to hear a lot more of M. Ward. Aside from some great guitar playing and a handful of harmony vocals, the only Ward tune we got the whole night was "Magic Trick," during the encore (they also did a cover of Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me" during the encore). Considering this was probably the best song played all night it would have been nice if they could have incorporated a few more Ward tunes. It certainly would have helped make for a longer setlist.

<edit: found the setlist

1. Black Hole
2. Change Is Hard
3. I Was Made For You
4. Sentimental Heart
5. You Turn Me On, I’m A Radio (Joni Mitchell cover)
6. You Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson cover)
7. Take It Back
8. (Untitled New Song)
9. Got Me
10. Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?
11. This Is Not A Test
12. Sweet Darling

Encore:

13. Bring It On Home To Me (Sam Cooke cover)
14. Magic Trick (M. Ward) >
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ive got a good week in November

Friday 21st - Billy Bragg
Monday 24th - Paul Weller
Saturday 29th - The Kooks

I am seriously in the good books with Mrs VG as I cancelled something so that she could go out instead. It was a good time to take advantage of the situation and book concert tickets...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Sage Gateshead, Hall One, Fri 25/07/2008:

Allen Toussaint & his Quartet
Mr Toussaint was charming and played most of his 'hits' with a few anecdotes along the way, some of which I recall from his appearance on the same stage in June last year ("Mother-in-law was a big hit for Ernie K Doe, but it was the Rolling Stones that showed me the way to the bank"). He also had nice things to say about Frankie Miller.

During an extended funky break in Mr Mardi Gras he took great delight in teasing the audience with masks & necklaces & tee-shirts. He seemed v. relaxed and was certainly having fun. He certainly doesn't seem like an old man who's spent 50 years in the same job.

The Neville Brothers
There's 8 in the band, but the brothers wear hats. Art is mighty fine on the keyboards and sings a funky tune, Charlie blows a mean sax, Cyril can holler R&B with the best of them and provides excellent percussion but (for me) it's Aaron, the broken hearted angel, who's the star. For a big bloke to have such a sweet voice is a wonder in itself, and he sounds better live than on record!

They played all of the songs I might have expected (Fever, Iko Iko/Jambalaya, Tell it like it is, Yellow Moon, Amazing Grace) but no encore.

However, a fine & funky evening was had by your correspondent.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Chuck Berry show in Dublin on Thursday was a ramshackle, hugely enjoyable cabaret show. In a medium sized venue ( '628 capacity on stage front floor' said a mysteriously precise sign) that was rammed full of people of all ages Chuck gabbled his way through some of his lyrics , hit a few decent chords and , generally , benefited from a incredibly tight back band. His son played lead guitar also, ably filling in the licks his Dad missed/forgot. We all bawled along to My Ding A Ling (its' still astonishing to think that it's a song written by Dave Batholomew - yes, the same writer of The Monkey ) and most of the other Berry classics. His daughter belted out some great harmonica. He was on for about 70 minutes which is , apparently, 10 more than he usually does. The show finished with a bevy of ladies up on stage with the old codger looking in his element.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have booked to see:
Eliza Carthy & band at a smallish Reading venue in September
Two Chris Wood gigs at very small venues within 8 eight days in October
and
Hugh Lupton (story teller http://www.angelfire.com/folk/hughlupton/index.html ) with Chris Wood doing this:
On Common Ground

An evening of stories, songs and music exploring the life and times of

JOHN CLARE

The landscape holds the memory of everyone who has ever trodden it… all we have to do is listen. In this programme of story, music, poetry and song Chris Wood and Hugh Lupton put their ears to the ground and tell the story of John Clare. It is a performance that explores the porous boundaries between language and place, madness and exile, love and loss.

Hugh is a master wordsmith, Chris is the leading folk musician of his generation, together they weave a beguiling magic.

“Sheer wizardry in the guise of utter simplicity…a packed house sat in a thrall of enchantment, no movement, no intrusive sounds… Hugh Lupton is joined by singer/fiddler Chris Wood, whose style is timeless and beguiling, his songs wonderfully evocative.” Eastern Daily Press

“It's rare to hear work as powerful as Chris Wood and Hugh Lupton's. With beautifully sculpted prose and carefully honed music they seduce the minds of those who listen, skilfully drawing on the past to make sense of the present... This is welcome nourishment for those who like to think for themselves"

Verity Sharpe (Late Junction & The Culture Show)

“…. The images that billowed and faded in that darkened auditorium were quite different from those that unspool across a screen. I could put my hands in front of my face and the pictures would not vanish. They were inside me. They belonged to me. They were part of the history of the whole of human life.”

The Times

This is a programme that sings of the unsung and remembers the forgotten histories of the soil.

Hugh & Chris are the winners of BBC Folk Award for Best Original Song 2006 for ‘One in a Million’.

Helpston pre-enclosure Helpston post-enclosure

During the eighteen hundreds the western powers divided large chunks of the world between themselves. The political map of the world is still caught in the straight lines that were drawn across continents, regardless of geographical differences or tribal boundaries. Indigenous peoples were marginalised and denied their ancient territories.

At the same time something similar was happening in almost every parish in England.

This performance – using story, poetry, music & song - explores the trauma of the enclosures in one such parish: the parish of Helpston, through the sensibility of one person in particular: the poet John Clare.
at the ancient technology centre at cranborne Dorset - a venue with a difference
http://www.anticearthworks.co.uk/events ... er/atc.htm

I'm growing the folky beard and getting the Aran sweaters ordered now!
signed with love and vicious kisses
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Saw the Old 97's and the Connells at a big free outdoor show in Raleigh yesterday. Both bands in good form, with the Old 97's playing a particularly energetic second half of their show. Plan is to see She and Him tomorrow night and Wilco in two weeks!
Otis Westinghouse

John Clare - Northamptonshire's only ever poet of note (other than Jackson Doofster!). What I didn't realise before looking here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clare

is that his village of Helpston is now part of Cambridgeshire. Sounds like an interesting show. I note they're down to play Cambridge Sept 13, though the venue is tbc. I could be tempted.

You certainly are turning into a regular folkie. The above-mentioned beard and Aran will suit you, not to mention the CAMRA t-shirt. How come the very significant folk element of the Fleet Foxes doesn't totally grab you?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Went and saw Springsteen at Gillette Stadium last ninght. First time seeing Bruce; first stadium show. The guy works hard! Long delay caused by thunder and lightning right so he didn't come on until almost 9:30. I'm not sure I'd do another stadium show, but I had a good time and wife with a problem was pleased. I found the setlist on some Bruce website -

Summertime Blues
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Promised Land
Spirit In The Night
Tunnel Of Love
Light Of Day
Little Latin Lupe Lu
Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?
Hungry Heart
Who'll Stop The Rain
Youngstown
Murder Incorporated
She's The One
Livin' In The Future
Mary's Place
The Rising
Last To Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

I'm Going Down
Jungleland
Born To Run
Glory Days
Dancing In The Dark
American Land
Rosalita
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

I love Hungry Heart. What amazes me with Brucie live is the huge number of fanatical fans he has who know every single word and sing along like their lives depend on it. It struck me when I saw him a few years back, and likewise a colleague who saw him in Barcelona recently. It's a great thing.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sounds like a great show. And what a great song to start to the set!

I remember seeing Bruce in 1985 at Wembley. I was 21 and was used to seeing The Jam, The Stranglers, Elvis etc and would be drunk. For Bruce though, this was the first time I had paid a relatively lot of money for a show and I was determined I wouldn't be drunk.

I wasn't, I got near the front of the stage and I was blown away about how good he was.

I wish I could have gotten to one of the UK shows but the elements were working against me.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Well bugger me if Fleet Foxes aren't also playing Cambridge in Nov. A mere £12 gets you in there. Can't wait. It will form a holy trinity of three superb bands touring their superb LPs what with Radiohead and Elbow too.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Woo! Elvis! Woo! The Police! Woo!