Bright Eyes

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Bright Eyes

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What's the big deal? People talking about Oberst as the next Bob Dylan are kidding themselves. Broken-sounded, poorly structured tunes, grating vocals. Doesn't do a thing for me, and I've listened to both of the new releases. He may be one of the few young songwriters speaking out on "the issues", but it's how he does it that's the problem. So many reviewers have had positive things to say about Bright Eyes that I feel I must be missing something.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

wow.

WHAR truly has left the bldg.

'cause that would definitely get a response from him.

:)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

spewing curses at your ignorance on behalf of whar.

kidding!

I haven't heard all of Digital Ash yet, but I like a lot of the other one, altho I can't think of the name of it to save my life. Another Travelin' Song is good, not terribly original imagery but I like the painting in a cave thing. I think music critics like to curse irritating newcomers with the New Dylan title. I like it much better than what I've heard (and that's not much) of others of his ilk.

of! it's the new black!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

You know, I hate to say it but when Whar went off his meds and every other post was about either Zach Braff or Bright Eyes (or The Braying Radio Hacks Whose Names We Do Not Speak) it retroactively ruined Garden State's status as a perfectly enjoyable movie for me and will probably keep me away from all things Connor Oberst for the rest of my days. I'm sure his stuff is good and all but it's a shame that someone I will probably never meet was so obnoxious as to spoil me from checking out new music.

As for the "Oberst as Dylan" thing, that's just the laziest form of pop music journalist shorthand this side of "melodies that would make Paul McCartney green with envy."
bobster

Post by bobster »

I heard some of his stuff on an NPR piece (Connor Oberst I mean, not WHAR!). Not terrible or anything, but not terribly exciting Really didn't strike me as anything I hadn't heard before.

Dr. Demento rules!...Sorry, lithium's running low.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The "next Dylan" thing is stupid and lazy pidgeonholing, but I've heard two songs from each of the latest albums and actually liked them enough to put at least I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning on my wish list.
My favourite is "Another Travelin' Song" but I also dare say that the "use" of Emmylou Harris (on "We Are Nowhere And It's Now") is not worse - if not better - than on some of the TDM duets with Elvis.
*ducks*

And no, I'm not whar. :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed