Christo's Gates and "Fat Actress"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mr. Average

Christo's Gates and "Fat Actress"

Post by Mr. Average »

Instead of two threads, I thought I would combine these two projects that are both ambitious and large in scope.

1. Anyone seen and experienced Christo's Gates in Central Park, NY, NY? Of all places, there is a beautifully written editorial about the Orange Gates in todays Wall Street Journal. It sounds like a gargantuun effort that must be moving when you are amongst it. The writer indicated that, from a distance, it was unremarkable, but when immersed in it, the presentation is entirely different, and quite moving. I typically fail to see the true art in some of the more progressive modern works that pass as high art, but that is my problem. I have a powerful desire to see this, although it has officially closed.

2. I think Kirsty Alli (sp) is a very gifted actress with excellent comedic timing. As Diane's replacement on Cheers, a great long-running sitcom, she blew Ms. Chambers away. Her angst re: the relationship with Robin Colcourt was palpably edgy and funny. Now she is launching her next project, entitled "Fat Actress" on Showtime, March 7th, this MOnday. The show will be unscrambled for people who do not subscribe to Showtime, for the first episode only. Nice methodology to hook an audience who would otherwise simply resign themselves to the fact that they will not be a viewer. Kirstie indicates that the programming paradigm is in the same spirit of Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm", which are big shoes to fill(no pun intended).

I cringed when I heard the show title, because I don't do well with that kind of commentary. But this was the actress' choice, and it takes a big chunk of courage to bite off such an title.

Anyway, I am looking forward to it. Wondered if there was any others who like the "Curb" semi-improvisational comedy approach, because I think it is one of the best shoes on TV (see how open-minded this ultra conservative can be!)
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I visited The Gates two weeks ago with my wife and kids. I felt precisely the opposite way from the writer you mentioned. That is to say that in the places where the gates were tightly grouped together and criss-crossing it was very difficult to sense any kind of pattern - it was almost visual clutter. However, in the wider expanses of areas like the Sheep Meadow and the Great Lawn, where you got the visual impact from a distance and could see the fabric fluttering in the breeze, it was very moving.

More than anything, what I was impressed with was that The Gates brought thousands of people into Central Park on a February weekend, when it would normally have been the province of dog walkers and joggers. The sense of community was palpable and there was something very joyful about visiting The Gates in middle of a cold and sometimes brutal winter.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I saw the Gates on opening day (would post some pictures here, but somehow Shutterfly has stopped allowing me to do that), and I think the most impressive thing about the project is how it has really sparked a public discussion of art and its role, and opened it up to a group of people who would never dream of going to see the latest blockbuster exhibition at the Met. That said, I think it looks better in pictures. The whole time I was there, I was thinking, "I guess I'll take pictures of it, even though it's not really all that spectacular," and then I came home with these incredible photos.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMmrhm1cs2jQxA

As for "Fat Actress," I think Kirstie Alley is an interesting case. She's like the opposite of those (attractively normal-weight) actresses who swear up and down that they love their bodies just they way they are and then mysteriously drop 25 pounds(I'm looking at you, Janeane Garofalo and Christina Ricci). She's constantly talking about how much she hates being fat, how she hasn't had sex in years because she won't get naked in front of anyone, etc etc. Well, I'm in my twenties, and my I really don't have to listen to women complain about their weight if I don't want to. And I don't want to; it's about the most boring thing I can think of. (And least when I'm waiting for a bus, no one minds if I start reading.) So, while the show probably will be very funny, I'll take a pass.
alexv

Post by alexv »

I work near the park and walk through it almost every day. The Gates made no artistic impression for me at all. I found it to be a PR stunt whose main positive effect was that it got a lot of people walking through our beautiful park.

What was more amusing was that a lot of these people were your typical artsy phonies , and it was a hoot to listen as they walked by me emoting every art cliche in the book to describe the spectacle. Examples: elderly lady, thin as a reed, clad in black with early-EC glasses: "When the wind is blowing, the saffron sheets just show us that here in this sacred place we are at one with the universe"; German tourists: "Christo is a genius. He brings oneness to the Park. I love public art. Americans should have more"; Sixty year old guy, also in black, with real heavy boot-like shoes, and ponytail: "If George Bush could feel this, you know, get it, there would be no war. Art like this, art for the masses, just transcends theory".

My favorite though was this exchange by preppy Upper East Side teenage girls while taking many pictures with their very tiny cameras: "They are so cool; I love that color; it's so hooot now!!" to which friend replies: "I knoooow, but my mom says it reminds her of Hare Krishnas. "Oooh, that's so grooooss. I saw a Japanese movie where people like did that. Your mom is weeeeird!! "No, stuuuupid, not harakiri, hare krishnas, those indian guys in the airports" "Oh, is this Christo guy indian? I think India is cooool, but my dad says if you go there, you like have to bring your own food, and get like every shot in the world"
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I truly thought the Gates hideous looking. I'm sure there was a concept and I can appreciate that, but I didn't see anything profound or beautiful.

As for Fat Actress......I've never been a big Kirsty Alley fan. (Although I thought Victoria's Closet was really funny.) I agree, I think it's a bore to listen to women going on and on about their weight, for whatever reason, but this is kind of interesting. Kind of like looking at a train wreck, you don't want to look but you can't help it.
I think it'll probably be pretty funny esp if it's along the lines of 'Curb'.
I'm not angry anymore....
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Great pictures, miss BA!

(also love your surname - Nuss, and in particular its plural Nüsse, has been my favourite German word since I first heard it 20 years ago.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

After viewing the pictures (thank you, MBA, for posting them), I am underwhelmed.

When I was a very young boy, the hottest new thing to come out in the toy dept. was "Hot Wheels" cars and track. This, to me, looks like Central Park transformed into a gigantic Hot Wheels track. I am sure that the experience is heightened by movement, sound, and the sheer magnitude of the project. But at this point, I don't feel like I missed anything....
alexv

Post by alexv »

People interested in The Gates should know that, although the exhibition has been described as officially closed, about half of it is still on dispay in the Park, and the whole thing won't be taken down until Friday.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

For the record, "Fat Actress" episode one was horrible. Absolutely horrible. Larry David has grounds for a lawsuit by the comparison of this new 'comedy' to "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

It failed on almost every level.
Last edited by Mr. Average on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poppet

re: the gates

Post by Poppet »

... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Who Shot Sam?

Re: re: the gates

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Poppet wrote:i prefer the somerville gates, by 'Hargo':

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/02/25/ch ... arody.html

http://www.sushiesque.com/adorablog/200 ... _ga_2.html

http://www.not-rocket-science.com/gates.htm

- though i didn't get to visit them myself.
My uncle, who grew up with my mom in a big Irish Catholic family in Somerville, showed me that story whn I visited him a few weeks ago. Had a good chuckle.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick