Who floats your boat?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
SweetPear

Who floats your boat?

Post by SweetPear »

The answers to this are just as intersting as our varied tastes in music...or Elvis songs, for that matter.
I'm not really arguing the point that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because i believe that it is. So let's hear about that too. (I say that because my original topic question was 'Is beauty really in the eye of the beholder?')

But what I really want to know IS....are you gonna go my way? No...not that.
(Sorry, that song just popped into my head.)
Tell us some of the things that you think are beautiful. It could be anything~but truth~I just want to hear what people all you guys and girls think are attractive, pretty, handsome..... :P

Okay...GO!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

what about you sweet pear? couldn't you start us off?

well, since i'm here now, i'll start. all my friends know this one.

actor Anthony Stewart Head. totally boat-floating. an amazingly nice, decent person, with a lovely family and a wicked sense of humour. i am proud to be a fan of such a decent guy. and did i forget to mention that he's easy on the eyes? so sorry.

next?
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I'll tell you what floats my boat, in a general way.

Skinny indie rock boys with hair flopping into their eyes who wear tight t-shirts and polyester pants and glasses and have a sweet smile with which they are generous and have leftist politics and don't eat meat and are either Jewish or atheist, or both.

Some things about New York, I can't wait to get back to.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Thank you Poppet for starting us off. You make me chuckle...you're so cute!
IMO~
I've got to say that LL Cool J (rapper/tv/movies) floats my YACHT!!
He is one sexy mother f*****!! (Hang on...have to take off my sweatshirt cause it's getting hot in here. :D )
Wow! And besides being incredibly whoa.....he's a nice guy, a family man, he does alot of stuff for kids~ charities and stuff, not a druggie or a thug.....just pure beautifulness. :lol: :lol:
Oh, but lately it looks like he's lost alot of weight and really buffed up his bod. Yeah, that's okay but I much preferred when he was a bit heavier and not so cut.
I had heard of Brendan Frazier before and never paid much attention until the other day I saw Gods and Monsters on Sundance Channel. Well, where was he hiding? I really don't know anything about him but in the movie he was kind of softspoken and cool and happened to look incredibly fine as he posed around in very little.
God, when is that movie on again?? :lol:

I was going around the dial the other day and caught this country music video by Kenny Chetney (is that his name?) I think my mouth was hanging open the entire time. The guy was adorable!
That's just like Cris Cornell (sp) formerly of Soundgarden now of AudioSlave. The guy is new hottness. Ouch!
But for me, I'd have to say that EC is the whole ball of wax. He's charming and intelligent and soooo sexy. I love to hear him talk and I love to hear him sing even more. I swear I get a shiver down my spine. His voice is so fucking sexy. I love to see him all done up in his jacket and tie. And it's the whole music thing.....a guy with a guitar is sexy.....but it's also the music and the words that come out that make him very attractive.
Let's see......I always thought Cher was so beautiful and part of that is her personality. She does what she wants. But she can't sing.
I think Drew Barrymore is adorable. Again, alot to do with her free spirit.
I think Marissa Tomei is a very hot, dark haired beauty.
I think women with figures and curves are sexy and beautiful. (To look at~that could change once they open their mouths) (And that goes for a guy too) I just don't dig the 'heroine sheik' boney look. That is very unattractive.
I was watching Sunset Blvd.~one of my all time fav movies~ and just for the record, if anybody knows William Holden....wow, he was sexy.

I'M STOPPING!!!! That was more than a good start. Carry on.......
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Women with cold hands but warm hearts.
girl out of time

beauty

Post by girl out of time »

otis.....your wit amazes me......

...concerning this topic....i feel attracted to intelligent men....and by that i mean someone who is sensitive, clever and has a great sense of humour!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

People who don't take things too seriously and gets the fact that though I'm being sarcastic and can appear...prickish...it's never intentional...
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Poppet, my compatriot in "Buffy" fandom, has empowered me to admit that Alyson Hannigan ("Willow" and, I suppose "Band Camp Girl" though I've been avoiding the "Pie" movies up to now) does, indeed, float my boat.

What a smile! And that red hair -- and the fact that she looks (and, from the name I'm assuming actually is) Irish but plays Jewish. And, yeah, she seems really nice too. Damn that Wesley-playing fiance of hers!

And Ms. BA -- What about stocky, er, post-boys, who have the sense not to wear tight t-shirts and (not surprisingly) do eat plenty of meat (even if they try to cut down on the fat) and of Jewish ancestry and occasional agnosticism but with center-left politics some would describe as leftist but others would call merely "bleeding heart liberal"....Well, I guess that's why you don't miss L.A.!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

For me, it's the voice. It's a physical manifestation of what's inside, and so you get the heart of the person, or what parts of that they put out consciously and un-, but also unique and unalterable as a fingerprint. Example: can you not get just a bit choked up when you hear John Lennon in Julian's voice, and know the torture of mixed affections that second voice carries?

A low-ish voice like cold clear water just melts me. And if it comes attached to a guy with lanky, slightly freckled forearms that I can nibble like an ear of corn, well...
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

C'mon~I spilled my guts here....in the name of vanity, drop a name or something! :lol:
Ya know, who are you fantasizing about when you 'bite your lip and close your eyes'?? :wink:

(I hope I'm not offending anyone. This is meant totally in the name of fun.)
I'm not angry anymore....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

BEA ARTHUR!

Oh wait, wrong board. I had a thing for Sheryl Crow for a while, though her rockier persona always kind of bothered me. I liked the emotional Sheryl a lot better, but I probably wouldn't have wanted to touch her with a ten foot pole in fear that she's bite.

Natalie Portman is a very attractive actress, but her lack of talent makes her totally unappealing to me.

Liv Tyler is pretty damn appealing. She's got more talent than Portman, and seems like a genuinely nice person.
mood swung

elvis is understood, ok?

Post by mood swung »

Enrique Iglesias is gorgeous. I don't want to hear him sing. I just want to look. I've been lusting after Brad Pitt since Legends of the Fall. Keith Richards used to do it for me, but after that last RS cover....keep your shirt on, keith! For the Buffy fans, I have to say Spike provokes my interest. I like the lost dog look in a man. Why did I marry a boy scout?!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
horsemad!

Post by horsemad! »

Other than the obvious (I was just telling my friend last night I dig that intellectual, older guy look - at least my husband has the "older" part down :wink: ), I'd have to go with Gabriel Byrne *swoon*. I agree, too, Poppet - Anthony Stewart Head is very attractive... I loved the episode of Buffy that opened with him riding a gorgeous horse across the moors.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

John Malkovich. Alan Rickman. Go ahead, laugh; I don't understand it myself, but there it is.

I used to find Brad Pitt attractive in a little-boy sort of way, until he quit bathing.

Johnny Depp, sometimes.

EC, goes without saying.

And in solidarity with Plaything, Steve Nieve.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Christie Turlington comes to mind.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Elvis Costello . . . of course
Greg Proops

Intelligent, talented/creative, funny, passionate, and uniquely hot.

:shock:
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Whoever said Alan Rickman is a woman after my own dark, silly little heart. A friend of mine said long ago that there's something sexy about a man who looks like he would kill you without giving it a second thought. A little strange, but Rickman has that evil snarl thing...yummy.

I'm not a beefcake kinda girl--I like dorky men. But, for those of you in the US, if you watch NYPD Blue, there's a guy named Henry Simmons who's on there. 220 lbs. of perfectly sculpted milk chocolate, with lips like a cupid's bow, arms the size of my waist, and a lovely pair of cinnamon buns. Yummy again.

Hmm, who else--David Bowie. What I wouldn't do to kiss the breath out of him...I've had a crush on him since I was a little girl...just gorgeous. he's perfect: intelligent, a little weird, a little nerdy, wild, and sexy.

Men, take note: nerdy men ARE sexy. There's hope for you!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

- John Cusack. The shape of his face is so lovely, the eyes, cute little mouth, the dark hair. And he's 6'4"! Looks best in the rain.

- Steve N. It's the hair, man, the hair! Stop shaving it all off, Steve. If only he was a few inches taller.... Mucho kudos to Goody and Pip. Work that theramin, boy!

- Chris Noth (Mr. Big from S&TC). I have a bigger crush on Aiden from S&TC but Meeester Big is kinda yummy, too.....in a weird, looks-like-your-bank manager way.

- Will Self. Not so much his looks, more the size of his brain and feet.

- Justin Timberlake. I'll get me coat....

*Side note* - If I was a man or a lesbian I'd be on Angelina Jolie like a shot.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Elvis Costello-Brilliant, witty and handsome

Alec Guinness-Professional, personal excellence and marvelous eyes

As for women in the "I wished I looked like her" category:

Claire Bloom
Louise Brooks
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

bobster wrote:And Ms. BA -- What about stocky, er, post-boys, who have the sense not to wear tight t-shirts and (not surprisingly) do eat plenty of meat (even if they try to cut down on the fat) and of Jewish ancestry and occasional agnosticism but with center-left politics some would describe as leftist but others would call merely "bleeding heart liberal"....Well, I guess that's why you don't miss L.A.!
Boat-floating is also considered on a case-by-case basis.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

When Catherine Zita-Jones came on the screen my sister said "Isn't she annoying?" Five minutes later I replied, "Did you say something?"

There are many beautiful women but it's so wonderful and miraculous when the one who floats your boat has her boat floated by you in return. True love floats my boat!

P.S. Props to Pip for picking Proops, and LJ for Alec Guinness. I like those cerebral-funny and classy choices.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

hmmmm.....what does float my boat?
let's see:

-those pretty girls who don't know (or at least don't care) that they are pretty.
-bad movies on hbo at three am. usually starring the likes of eric roberts, gina gershwan(sp?), corben bernsen, or clint howard.
-28 days later (it's the best post apocolyptic-blood puking zombie movie ever)
-cheeseburgers (sorry, but they are so necessary) and quesadillas
-ringer t-shirts
-punk rock (old school/new school/obscure/mainstream(minus the obvious shit bands like good charlotte, blink, new found glory, etc) emo/ska-punk, basically it's many different faces)
-argyle socks and leather jackets
-the beach at night
-drinikng with old friends and bullshitting about absolutely nothing.
-spell check
-smart people who don't lecture
-dyed hair(not the stupid electric raver hair)
-subtlety
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

SoLikeCandy wrote:Whoever said Alan Rickman is a woman after my own dark, silly little heart. A friend of mine said long ago that there's something sexy about a man who looks like he would kill you without giving it a second thought. A little strange, but Rickman has that evil snarl thing...yummy.

I'm not a beefcake kinda girl--I like dorky men. But, for those of you in the US, if you watch NYPD Blue, there's a guy named Henry Simmons who's on there. 220 lbs. of perfectly sculpted milk chocolate, with lips like a cupid's bow, arms the size of my waist, and a lovely pair of cinnamon buns. Yummy again.

Hmm, who else--David Bowie. What I wouldn't do to kiss the breath out of him...I've had a crush on him since I was a little girl...just gorgeous. he's perfect: intelligent, a little weird, a little nerdy, wild, and sexy.

Men, take note: nerdy men ARE sexy. There's hope for you!
Well said, Candy.
Bowie~sexy...and Henry Simmons~yo!

I saw Minnie Driver the other eve on tv~God she's gorgeous
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

miss buenos aires wrote: Boat-floating is also considered on a case-by-case basis.
A very good policy, MBA
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Costellopunk~
Argyle socks and leather jackets...really? :D
That' wild~it reminds me of Weezer.
Buddy Holly, I guess.