Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Re: Recent CD Purchases

Post by so lacklustre »

Pete(r) Doherty - Grace/Wastelands
I really like this album, hit of the year so far for me.

Morrissey - Years of Refusal
Nice- like the singles best.

Today I have bought.
The Rakes - Klang and
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
signed with love and vicious kisses
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Yael Naim - self titled
A beautiful album. The Hebrew language does not lend itself to a melifluous tune, but Yael's voice is nice and smooth. She even makes the gutteral sounding 'chhhhhhhhhhhh' musical. Half the songs are in Hebrew. It is a melancholy collection of songs. She does that catchy song used on the Mac notebook commercials.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

As a fan of Doves, I was excited to see good reviews. It's more ambitious than the first two. May not quite have masterpieces such as 'Pounding' or 'There Goes the Fear', but is probably their most satisfying as a whole. Wish I was going to see them this week, but am over-committed gig-wise!

If you like them, get this.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Reissues of the two Dukes of Stratosphear albums from Andy Partridge's Ape label...

and if you order directly from Ape they throw in a set of badges...

Good stuff. I love all the extras Ape offers with their discs.

http://www.ape.uk.net/acatalog/XTC_as_T ... phear.html
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

St. Vincent - Actor
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Elvis Costello - Sulphur to Sugarcane
Allen Toussiant - The Bright Mississippi

2 and 3 are pre-orders.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've been on a bit of a buying kick lately, thanks in part to a recent visit to Amoeba Records in Hollywood, early birthday gifts, etc.

James Brown - Live at the Apollo
James Carr - The Complete Goldwax Records Singles
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
Cat Power - Moon Pix
Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
The Kinks - Everybody’s In Showbiz
Aimee Mann - Lost In Space
Paul McCartney & Wings - Back To The Egg
Peter, Bjorn & John - Writers Block
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
M. Ward - Duet for Guitars #2
The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues (Deluxe Edition)

Enjoying all of these on varying levels, but am especially enthusiastic about the Cash, James Brown and Waterboys discs.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

The big winner in there is the James Carr disc.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Got a little drunk on Friday afternoon and made the mistake of wandering into my local record store:

Green Day- 21st Century Breakdown
Conor Oberst- Outer South
Arctic Monkeys- Favourite Worst Nightmare
Bob Dylan- Together Through Life
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate

Incredibly fucking fantastic. The title track is just a bright colourful canvas of sound that celebrates London and multi-culturalism in such a creative way. The rest of the album is littered with melody, that nutty sound and great lyrics. 10/10

Buy it. Superb. 8)
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Thu May 21, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Exactly my feelings.
Great return and one of my absolute faves this year.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Jackson Monk wrote:Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate

Incredibly fucking fantastic. The title track is just a bright colourful canvas of sound that celebrates London and multi-culturalism in such a creative way. The rest of the album is littered with melody, that nutty sound and great lyrics. 10/10

Buy it. Superb. 8)

I met Suggs once and was told by his PR not to slap him on the back, I was relieved when he held his hand out to shake hands. Top Bloke.

Did anyone see him on The One Show on Tuesday, He told a great story about knocking on the neighbours door to complain about the noise and when he got there it turned out to be their wedding party and he stayed til 6 in the morning and the missus locked him out.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Exxactly the same thing happened to my brother once. He went around to the neighbour on instructions from the wife and ended up drinking there until dawn. Nice.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Buy it. Superb. 8)
Not out here yet, but soon I think.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

where's King Hoarse? I wanna know if the guitars are loud enough. But, regardless, I am loving this - I could write (and probably will) an essay on the evolution of punk swagger, beginning with high school inferiority complexes and ending with the genuine mature don't-give-a-fuck-what-you-think/I-yam-what-I-yam attitude. Anyway, this is good. Everybody raves over Civilian Ways - last summer I thought the mandolin was was god's gift to ska. This summer, it's god's gift to punk. Folk punk, anyway. The acoustical stuff. And this was the coolest little package of stuff - the cd, the acoustic cd, a single cd, a dvd, a t-shirt, a bandanna + other stuff that I'm sure will make me cooler than cool.

But I digress. I've only been able to listen to 1/2 of it properly, but I think it's going to be, for me, this year's Poet's Life.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Tom Waits - Beautiful Maladies
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Buy it. Superb. 8)
I'm loving it. Very listenable, despite its length. Their best ever? Don't know their LPs, only the hits. Lots of the words seem very powerful and poignant. One song sounds like it has the piano riff from 'Embarrassment' just chopped round a bit.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

signed with love and vicious kisses
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I went to iTunes to use up a gift card and bought some individual tracks:

1. 'Ode To Billie Joe' - B Gentry
2. 'Disarm' - Smashing Pumpkins
3. 'If I Had A Boat' - Julie Roberts' ex
4. 'Stan' - M&M/Dido
5. 'Wait' - Huffamoose
6. 'City Of N.O.' - Steve Goodman
7. 'The Underdog' - Spoon
8. 'Daddy, What's A Train?' - Utah Phillips

I bought Elvis' Sugarcane but haven't given it enough listens to comment on it. The title is hard to remember correctly so I just refer to it as Deliveryman II.
- M. Twain
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

[quote="Who Shot Sam?"]Reissues of the two Dukes of Stratosphear albums from Andy Partridge's Ape label...

These are on my list for Fathers Day, and as I was home when AMazon delivered today, I am feeling very good about it. And with XTC and derivatives, its like I was 15 again. I am like a kid at Christmas, as I have a very complete XTC collection (no doubt second by more than a fraction to WSS), but the Dukes...have not sampled yet. Stoked, jazzed, and pumped. Do it. Do it.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

£2 in Fopp. Thought it was going to be tedious (doesn't it have a bad reputation?), but actually it sounds great. Great pictures in booklet - all a variation of one them, Moz collapsed over the edge of the stage, guitarist in background.

£3 in the same. Never ever heard this legendary record, so there you go.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

My pure punk knowledge is limited- will have to give this a try on Pandora Radio.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Picked up some nice stuff while I was up in Toronto, at the excellent Criminal Records - Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson (a lovely reissue on 180 gram vinyl), as well as Vampire Weekend's debut album, which was in the sale rack.
Jack of All Parades

WSS-have enjoyed the Vampire Weekend album -it has provided for some great dance music in the house over the past 9 months as I move the vacuum-"Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa". "Mansard Roof', and "One" make me bust out the moves-infectious dance music-and not just sayiing this because they are Columbia grads.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Made a solo Rhino run earlier this week and picked up amongst others a copy of Solomon Burke's "Don't Give Up On Me"-it has not left my cd tray-what a record!-he cuts his teeth on the work of modern masters-songs by Van Morrison, Dylan, Tom Waits, Dan Penn, Nick Lowe, Brian Wilson and EC-he forgoes the usual soul band approach and pairs down the instrumentation to just a piano, guitar, bass, drums and a wonderfully played organ-highlights for me are "Soul Searchin'" by Wilson, an infectious "The Other Side of the Coin" by Lowe and a soulful rendition of "Diamond in Your Mind" by Waits which I cannot get out of my head- the Dylan song "Stepchild" is a new one to me and Burke sings it in a low down guttural way that makes you want to stomp your feet- I really like this record.
Otis Westinghouse

WSS: new Richard Hawley album Truelove Gutters is getting RAVE reviews. Heard him live on radio doing one, v good. Classic stuff. I await your review!