Movie Trivia Quiz

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
stormwarning

Movie Trivia Quiz

Post by stormwarning »

You know the rules, here's the two-part question

Most of us have seen Christopher Walken performing the soft shoe shuffle in the excellent Fatboy Slim video, Weapon of Choice.

For one point, can you tell me in which movie Mr. Walken performed a very similar dance, along with a delightful striptease.
For a second point, tell me which famous English actor played the starring role in the UK television series version of the same movie.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

'Pennies From Heaven'? I saw the English one but can only remember Bob Hoskins in the main role.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Absolutely correct for two points,well done. It was indeed Pennies From Heaven, penned by the late, great Dennis Potter, and I bought the DVD of the US version in Borders yesterday.

Over to you Ms Lapinsjolis.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Thank you!

What tragic circumstance led to the commercial failure of 1948's critically acclaimed 'Unfaithfully Yours '?

Hint (if you need it): it was in the personal life of one of the leads.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I saw this on the biog channel the other week....Rex Harrison's mistress committed suicide while he was filming the part of a guy trying to murder his wife! Is that right?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Yes! Poor Miss Landis-to you Crow.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

What was the name of the film that Peter Sellers starred in with, infamously fell in love with, and reputedly had an affair with Sophia Loren?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Millionairess.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yes! Boom buddy boom buddy boom buddy boom buddy boom buddy boom buddy boom boom boom...goodness gracious me!

Your go John!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Name the musician who was involved with both Heavens Gate and Cold Mountain.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Is using IMDB against the rules? Well, if that is a crime, then I am guilty in the first degree -- though I kind of guessed already that it was our good pal T-Bone Burnett.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Ooooh Bobster-I really think it would be against the rules but since I don't make them ask the author of the thread.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

If imdb or google are used then it should be acknowledged in the answer. But you get no points and no kudos.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

T-Bone is right . Answers from memory are , I'm told , the norm with this kind of quiz. However , Bobster , you didn't know so ......Your Question , Please!
bobster

Post by bobster »

I stand chastised...but my guilt is not so deep that I can't pose a new question (and, folks, do as I say, not as I did).

"The Magnificent Ambersons" was famously taken away from Orson Welles, cut, and a new, happier and really annoying ending added. Who directed this new ending?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I really can't remember-my little gray cells are fading- I'll take an outlandish stab at it-George Cuckor- just to say I love the ending!

PS If it's who I think it is that's a bit of a trick question-for me anyway.
bobster

Post by bobster »

That's way wrong as Mr. Cukor was already an old hand by then and this director was a total newbie at the time -- though it wouldn't be long before he or she started an illustrious career.

It's not really a trick question at all (well, not in any way that I can think.) Actually, for Ms. LJ, it's probably too easy as I've discussed this director with her a few times...
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Well yeah it was off, my first reaction was the editor but is it? Can you guess twice?

Yes you can guess twice-checked the music trivia thread-Robert Wise? It's a trick because he supposely messed it up by editing. I think I was blinded by the outrage that you said the ending way annoying

Of course if it's wrong then who is it?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, there's no accounting for taste, but LJ is right...or wrong...however you want to look at it.

It is a historical fact (well at least according to "The Battle Over Citizen Kane" and the non-Welles documentary portions of the "It's All True" and other sources I've long since forgot) that when the studio disliked Welles original ending for "Ambersons" and with Welles off in Brazil working on a never completed film, they asked the young editor of the film, Robert Wise -- who had also edited "Citizen Kane" to step in and reshoot the final sequences (as well as, of course, making the significant cuts they dictated).

While I can't agree (the tacked on feeling of the final scenes and there obvious stylistic dissimiliarty was so distressing to me that I haven't seen "Ambersons" since I saw it in film school...despite the fact that I thought the first 2/3 was actually better than "Kane"), Wise did go on to make some terrific B-pictures in the late forties and make many of my favorite studio films of the fifties, sixties and seventies, including "The Day the Earth Stood Still," "West Side Story" and "The Andromeda Strain" (the only good film I've seen made from a Michael Crichton novel!).

Anyhow, the floor is yours, LJ!
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

bobster wrote:That's way wrong...
It's harder to get the correct answer immediately when you don't look it up.
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I'll account for loving Mr. Wise's redemptive ending any day! Cukor was a nod to the sentimentality effect, being 'a woman's director'.. Inside joke-to me and no one else it appears!

Here is the question:

What Nicholas Ray noir classic about a tempestuous screenwriter inspired a song by the Smithereens?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Blood and Roses?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

So close Mr. Foyle! 'Blood and Roses' is a movie but not the one by Mr. Ray but Roger Vadim.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

They Live By Night pops into my head - cos it's Ray and the night is noir, but I don't recall if it's about a screenwriter (title doesn't sounds like it), though I think I saw it in my youth, and I have no idea about Smithereens songs (they sound like the 18th pale descendent of Morrissey).
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

No but nice guess 'They Live By Night' is about escaped convicts and young love.

The Smithereens are great! More Elvisesque than Smith-like.