**ulysses**

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I don't have the 8lb. reference book with me, but it was something about Subject, Middle Predicate and pedagogues. I think.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

HUH? oh moody, i am lost w/ that stuff.

i'm behind. i'm not catching up until maybe the weekend. i am NOT carrying ulysses around NYC. i hafta save my strength for my purchases. i do LOVE shopping (for bargains, i am a sale hound).

however, i did bring the book with me. i tried sleeping with it yesterday (i meant to read in bed, but didn't manage it), but i shove it out. it's such a hog.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, shut my mouth and color me stupid: there's a great big S at the start of section one. Further investigation reveals an M at two and a P at three. it all makes sense to me now.

yeah, right.

Poppet, I took Uly to the beach, but he just didn't fit in.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

made it thru the ineluctable modality--do I get a T-shirt?

and, if you put all the latin parts together, do you get some kind of black mass? :?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

go moody! go moody!

i like the black mass idea. :)

and yes, you go get yourself a t-shirt. you've earned it.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Ineluctable modality of the visible. Complex latinate words, yet what poetry. The thingness of things. Those words invariably come to me on a beach walk.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the word that came to me was 'concupiscence' ....! I think it reminded me of The Emperor of Ice Cream. pretty words, indeed. am I correct (or at least in the ballpark) in thinking that he's saying that you get a physical reality from taste and scent that you don't get from the things you see? I'm in way over my head here. drowning.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Moodswung-I've decided against boring anyone with further analysis and am reading this on my own. You are right though, Joyce isn't thwarting religion but making the sensual sacred thus the whole mythical, pagan allusions on which the title and certain parallels have been drawn. It's as fascinating or dull as neo-paganism-nothing too deep about that! You are not in over your head-don't let this intimidate you, it's quite transparent.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

LJ, your (as well as Mr. Misery's) analysis is ANYTHING but boring. and they give us back of the classers a roadmap, so please continue to post them.