Praised Movies That I Really Don´t Like

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Bob And Charlotte

Praised Movies That I Really Don´t Like

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Or if you prefer... Overrated Movies by Praised Directors:

01. Saving Private Ryan by Steven Spielberg --- Spielberg at his most cliche moments
02. All About My Mother by Pedro Almodovar --- An overrated filmmaker in a really shitty story.
03. Master and Commander by Peter Weir --- Empty movie (Good acting though)
04. Gangs of New York by Martin Scorsese --- I expected more. Much more in fact
05. Gosford Park by Robert Altman --- A great director in a very boring casting...
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

I would add Seabiscuit. What a clunker. Maybe I am just not carefree enough. The constant straining background music drove me CRAZY and the intercut documentary was interesting but interrupted the flow and was obviously for people who never heard of this little thing called "The Depression". At the end of the movie my friend turned to me and said (sarcastically) "that's niiiice" and then "I'm an asshole". Heh.
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I loved Sea Biscuit and Master and Commander!!

I've never really understood the fuss about Barton Fink. It's easily my least favourite Coen Bros movie.

Also The Matrix was a load of hokum
corruptio optimi pessima
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Fucking Amélie. Give me a fucking break with that movie already.
PlaythingOrPet

Re: Praised Movies That I Really Don´t Like

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Bob And Charlotte wrote: 02. All About My Mother by Pedro Almodovar --- An overrated filmmaker in a really shitty story.
jk;lkhj;khmjhk!!!

Have you seen Bad Education? I'll have nothing said against Almodóvar.

Magnolia passed me straight by. Whoosh. Just like that.
Bob And Charlotte

Magnolia is one of my favourite movies in recent times...

oh, and Matrix (especially the last two) are totally shit! utter nonsense!
bobster

Post by bobster »

First "Matrix" -- very good. Second one...what the? Third one...haven't seen it!

Definitely with B&C on M&C. I thought it would have been a lot more interesting if it was about the kids on board. Russell Crowe's character was just way too completed and confident for the story to have any real suspense.

"Gangs of New York" is really only for film geeks like me only. A fascinating but highly problematic film. Sort of the way I reacted to "Magnolia."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Piano.

The first time I realised that so-called opinion formers can be just as stupid as the rest of us.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I loved Amelie and that, along with Monsoon Wedding is a film I can sit and enjoy over and over again - must say though, that I think City of Lost Children (from the same director as Amelie) is better.

I agree with Bobster on the Matrix series (1st good, 2nd ??? and I haven't been able to get interested enough to see Revolutions... I did like the Animatrix though).

For some reason Master and Commander always makes me think of the Seinfeld episode about masturbation.

As for overrated films, I would have to say Independence Day is my most despised film (see Bobster, you have cured me of the ID4 syndrome ;)), and I really don't know what there was to like about Forest Gump (but, apart from Philadelphia, I really cannot stand Tom Wa..Hanks at all - so maybe I am unreasonably biased).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I completely agree about Independence Day.

Also:

Memento
Men In Black
The Matrix
Amadeus
Jaws
The Sixth Sense
Gladiator

I'm sure there are lots more, but whatever :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I love 'Jaws' and still have record somewhere with iron-on patch.

I know people on the board enjoyed it along with a lot of the so-called 'elite' but 'The Triplets of Belleville' was so bad that 'Orange County' writer's liked it.

Take the imagined whimsy of 'Mr. Hulot's Holiday' (blasphemy perhaps but wretched just the same), Max Fleischer and even bad tee-shirt cartooning. The art work is as if Vrubel (maybe more Goya though)and Charles Addams had a baby but the child inherited neither style no wit and saw beauty in nothing.

Then add a story of an orphan living with his grandmother and you better have a script that is at least sincere and please not contrived but there be no mercy in this movie. It steals from B gangster movies, 'Breaking Away', albeit French and I sensed a 'Speed Racer' plot stolen. But even Spridle and Chim-Chim couldn't save this movie for me. Yikes!

I also found it dragged so long I'm not sure if I'm still watching it or not.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Jaws is easily my favorite Spielberg film. I also liked Memento, Amadeus and Gosford Park.

Gangs of New York is fascinating to watch because it derails itself so badly by trying to cram in a lot of stuff that the story can't fit and just comes off as a bit schizophrenic.....especially that last forty-five minutes. The Diaz/DiCaprio angle smacked of commericial concession and it really hurt the dramatic thrust of the story that Leo's performance was so cipher-like. Daniel Day-Lewis was memorable and the supporting cast was flawless but, to use a term Bobster probably bandies around on a regular basis, it had third-act problems. Much like Zemeckis' Cast Away.

-Raging Bull. Not so much that it isn't a "great" film but I find it to be an absolute trial to sit through. Completely humorless and there's something about DeNiro's work in that film that unsettles me. Not as in "What a magnificent performance, really got inside LaMotta's head!" but more like "I think he's going to burn himself out if he keeps this up."
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Sorry, gotta say it.......Lost in Translation. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a GOOD movie, but I don't feel that it deserves all the extreme praise it's been getting...
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

Jackson Monk wrote:I loved Sea Biscuit and Master and Commander!!

I've never really understood the fuss about Barton Fink. It's easily my least favourite Coen Bros movie.

Also The Matrix was a load of hokum
Interesting JM, Barton Fink, tied with Fight Club, is my favorite all time movie. I'm basically in a trance from start to finish.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

I'd have to say Lost in Translation.

Just can't quite sympathize with the plight of the rich and the beautiful, boo hoo.

If you wanna feel lost, try adding fat, old, poor, and ugly like me. There's yer movie.
bobster

Post by bobster »

"Lost in Translation" was a gorgeous mood piece, very largely about the visual side -- though with more attention to story than the films of Wong Kar-Wai and Antonioni which are acknowledged influences (I pretty much detest Antonioni and was left sort of cold and bored by "Chung King Express", though I've got an open mind on WKW's other films...just haven't seen any!) In any case, I think lots of people who watch it on small TVs are going to not get this one.

Although I didn't actively dislike "Triplets", I felt sort of befuddled and non-entertained by most of it (outside of the opening sequence). And, somewaht like Lapinsjoli, I've never really gotten the fuss over Jacques Tati ("Mr. Hulot's Holiday", "Traffic" and others). I'm not saying he wasn't great -- I'm just saying his greatness, real or imagined, is kind of lost on me. Same with Bresson, though I've got on open mind on him too. (Maybe I just need to drink even more coffee than usual when I finally see "Diary of a Country Priest" or that movie about the donkey!)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Bobster you know I adore you but alas you've broken my heart! I loved 'Diary of a Country Priest' though you may need a lot of filling in if you haven't read the book-he captured Bernanos gloom and spiritual struggle perfectly. I'm on a quest for 'Mouchette' under $60. though one is pending. I think Bresson spiritual journey as a director is fascinating, from believer to skeptic in 12 easy lessons.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Sorry Bobster, I watched it at the theater and still wasn't 'blown away'...I must just not be deep enough or as into those types of films. Again, I thought it was good, and really was surprised by Murray's performance, but overall didn't leave the theater with anything special.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

My feeling on movies is that the quality of movies nowadays is so low that when an above average film comes along people think it is a great film.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Shakespeare in Love was overrated, to be sure. I've seen some critics say positive things about Troy, which is almost laughable in its awfulness. Garbage.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

ice nine wrote:My feeling on movies is that the quality of movies nowadays is so low that when an above average film comes along people think it is a great film.
I definitly have to disagree there. :oops:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:I completely agree about Independence Day.

Also:

Memento
Men In Black
The Matrix
Amadeus
Jaws
The Sixth Sense
Gladiator

I'm sure there are lots more, but whatever :lol:
How can you say that about Jaws? Terrifically entertaining, IMHO. Start the chum line! As for The Sixth Sense - absolutely. Dreary stuff.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Bob And Charlotte

Lost in Translation is probably my fave. movie of the past 10 years (since Pulp Fiction)!

My nickname here is from that movie :D
Scarlett Johansson is the most beatiful actress nowadays... and Murray is brilliant.

Perfect Movie!!!!
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:Lost in Translation is probably my fave. movie of the past 10 years (since Pulp Fiction)!

My nickname here is from that movie :D
Scarlett Johansson is the most beatiful actress nowadays... and Murray is brilliant.

Perfect Movie!!!!
I know what they were trying to do in the movie, and the performances were great, but if THOSE two were lost, I shall be swinging from a closet clothes rod by the end of the evening.
Bob And Charlotte

Yet another list of overrated movies:

Beautiful Mind
Usual Suspects
Signs
Titanic
Chocolate
A Walk in the Clouds
Braveheart (terrible silly boring movie)
Secrets & Lies
Don Juan de Marco
When a men Loves a Woman