Praised Movies That I Really Don´t Like

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

hahah.. Don Juan Demarco? I didn't know anybody liked that movie!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

bobster, my friend: see Le Pickpocket. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, and I didn't get very much out of Diary of a Country Priest, either.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

The mystery of grace and the dark night of the soul in the face of sanctity make for a unique movie that I love. While you might have gotten very little out of it Miss Buenos Aries, Bobster has gotten less because he hasn't seen it! It's singular movie for human oddities, such as me.

Could I enjoy 'Lost in Translation' more if I had Ms. Johannson's beauty and a million dollars-yes but I liked it none the less. A story of a chance, pure love affair is a rarity today.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
miss buenos aires

Well LJ, I had to watch it with no subtitles when I had only been in France a matter of weeks, so, now that I think of it, that could have been a major contributing factor to my not getting of it. But I still think bobster should see Le Pickpocket first.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:Yet another list of overrated movies:

Usual Suspects
Braveheart (terrible silly boring movie)
USUAL SUSPECTS!?!!? Heresy!!!

And did anyone rate BRAVEHEART?? I never saw it, frankly, but I hadn't thought it was exactly acclaimed??
miss buenos aires

I thought the same thing about Titanic, Mug, but didn't they both win Oscars?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ah, that kind of rating/overrating. Most of the Oscar winners (not all, but lots) are sheer crap, no? I though we meant more the kinds of films that got lots of word-of-mouth buzz.

Either way, my vote goes to CHICAGO. It was clever enough, and I could see where one might like it, but I just thought it had not one second where you didn't know precisely what was going to happen next. I watched it while I was sick and it couldn't even hold my attention in the stupidness of my flu-ish haze. MOULIN ROUGE and DANCER IN THE DARK (2 hugely different movies!) covered CHICAGO's intended bases SO much more artfully.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Actually, I run into a lot of people who really love "Braveheart"...but I'm most definitely not one of them! (Though I was sold the first 15 minutes or so...but then it starts to get dreary and, I thought, a truly hateful towards gays and that was it)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

miss buenos aires wrote:Well LJ, I had to watch it with no subtitles when I had only been in France a matter of weeks, so, now that I think of it, that could have been a major contributing factor to my not getting of it. But I still think bobster should see Le Pickpocket first.

Actually, "Pickpocket" (never knew it had a "Le" in it) was one of the two Bresson films I saw in one sitting at L.A.'s last revival house a couple of years back -- which did NOT include "Diary", which I have not yet seen (I said I'd have to drink more coffee when I finally did see it...which I thought implied I hadn't yet). The other one was "The Devil, Probably." In any case, I remain openminded and probably will check out "Diary" or "A Man Escaped" or that donkey movie ("Au Hazard Balthasar", I think is the title) sometime when I'm feeling mega-alert.

And, btw, I LOVED "The Sixth Sense" -- M. Night's other flicks so far have been problematic at best so far, but I was crying buckets -- I mean like really weeping -- through the last ten minutes or so of it. Yep, show me some ghosts and a scared little boy and I become, well, a bit embarrassing. .

"Chocolate", despite being nominated for best picture was not particularly highly rated by critics -- but even so, it was still way overrated by everyone who did not stand up and spit on the screen, as it was a truly rotten movie on almost every level, with the possible exception of Alfred Molina's performance. But what can you say about a movie that feels the need to first to unneccessarily translate "tranquility" into French and then to translate it back into English -- even though both words are easily understood cognates?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

Sorry, bobster, I wasn't reading very carefully.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Last Tango In Paris is a bit repulsive. Brando has a couple of powerful scenes but even those have a disturbing hatefulness to them. I'm thinking of the coffinside scene where he brutally lacerates his dead wife's memory and the one where he very rudely assaults Maria Schneider with a pat of butter. When I was 17 I thought this was revelatory and "true art" but now that I'm just a little older it seems incredibly immature. The impression I get from it now is that we are seeing not so much Brando showing us the dark side of Paul's overwhelming sense of loss but Brando plastering his own juvenile baggage all over the screen.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Here are 5 for me -

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - My least favorite Spielberg blockbuster - in your face, over-obvious symbolism for the masses.

Star Wars - I saw this the week it came out. I didn't like it - I have seen none of the sequels. The marketing made me sick even as 15 year old. A wrong turn for capitalism. (and the surpirsing this is that Amercian Graffiti is one of my all time favorites)

Fight Club
- A movie that I was really enjoying until about three quarters of the way through. A story that didn't know where to go. Pissed me off.

Moonstruck - Cher cannot act and she cannot sing. Who told her she could, and shouldn't that person face some sort of punishment? People love this movie - I don't see it. Cage can be great (Red Rock West, Adaptation, Wild At Heart) or he can be misserable (8 MM, Face Off, this one).

Dead Man Walking - Acting of the worst order. Both Sarnadon and Penn performing especially for James Lipton. I never bought them as anything other than A-list actors for one second in this film.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.