What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I am listening to all my As and Bs on shuffle while I import my Cs. I never realized before how much music I own by Arab Strap!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:I am listening to all my As and Bs on shuffle while I import my Cs. I never realized before how much music I own by Arab Strap!
How large is the hard drive in that iBook? You're going to run out of room at this rate!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

It's 30 GB, so far I've used about 3 on music. Will probably end up buying an external hard drive at some point, but I'm waiting until I actually run out of room.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:It's 30 GB, so far I've used about 3 on music. Will probably end up buying an external hard drive at some point, but I'm waiting until I actually run out of room.
That's what I ended up doing with my iMac G3. Just remember to change the location of your iTunes library (in iTunes Preferences) when you add the external drive, or you'll end up with music scattered all over the place.
miss buenos aires

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
miss buenos aires wrote:It's 30 GB, so far I've used about 3 on music. Will probably end up buying an external hard drive at some point, but I'm waiting until I actually run out of room.
That's what I ended up doing with my iMac G3. Just remember to change the location of your iTunes library (in iTunes Preferences) when you add the external drive, or you'll end up with music scattered all over the place.
That sounds like something I'll be getting someone else to do...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

selfmademug wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:
Good to come across another TFC fan. The new album's worth a listen too WSS.
I think I mentioned this, but I was utterly ga-ga over Bandwagonesque when it came out, then checked back in with Songs From Northern Britain and was underwhelmed. Where did I go wrong?? What should I get next?
I'd definitely have a listen to Grand Prix - esp Mellow Doubt, which is an absolute classic.....mind you, the whole album is a classic.
corruptio optimi pessima
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven Hundred And Sixty-Six Seconds (Compilation)

Only 9.99 on iTunes for 21 songs and it's all great stuff.
Only £9.99 in the shop too, and you get a CD and some nice little essays too.

With regard to comments about 'Songs From Northern Britian' I'm amazed anyone could listen to that and not be fussed. The only TFC album I've ever really been disappointed by was 'Howdy!'
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven Hundred And Sixty-Six Seconds (Compilation)

Only 9.99 on iTunes for 21 songs and it's all great stuff.
Only £9.99 in the shop too, and you get a CD and some nice little essays too.

With regard to comments about 'Songs From Northern Britian' I'm amazed anyone could listen to that and not be fussed. The only TFC album I've ever really been disappointed by was 'Howdy!'
...and I quite like Howdy :?
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Nothing.

I have been having an Eels spree of late though.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

When you buy on iTunes, I wonder how the breakdown of income to distributor/record company/artist compares to a CD from a shop/online.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Been listening to my sons new album by Coldplay - 'X and Y'. Its pretty good! I know a lot of you on here are not fans but you should give it a go!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:Been listening to my sons new album by Coldplay - 'X and Y'. Its pretty good! I know a lot of you on here are not fans but you should give it a go!
Don't care how good it is. Chris Martin is a pseudo-intellectual wanker....so there.

and his dopey wife is a total bint and about as bland as Coldplay's music.

everyone to their own though :wink:
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I must say I find myself succumbing to Anti-Coldplay Backlash, i.e., I'm so sick of the bashing, I kind of like them. It's just pretty pop, fer chrissakes.

This culminated in the jerk-off piece in the NYT last week by Jon Pareles, "The Case Against Coldplay," in which he calls them the most insufferable band of the decade. Oh, come on. Martin may indeed be a pseudo-intellectual-- I suspect we're spared his offstage persona here more than y'all in the UK-- but he's hardly alone in that in the world of pop, and I think Pareles is a yawn-inducing blowhard. Stick a fork in him, guys... the NYT deserves way better.

In any case, I think there are greater crimes against music than the onslaught of "Clocks" as background music to seemingly everything on TV. Sure it's overplayed and nothing new, but so is some other great pop I've loved over the years. Coldplay has lots of company in the middle of the road, they always will.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The slow version of Clowntime Is Over. :)

I remember seeing EC & the Attractions perform this at the Universal Amphitheater in LA in the mid-80's. It was a highlight of that show - Punch The Clock tour perhaps? I prefer it to the fast version.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

J. Geils Band "Whammer Jammer" from Live "Full House"
Brings back old drinking memories...and the first (and only) concert I took my kid sister to see when she was fighting with the parents and I was trying to 'relate' to her...you know....be "hip". J Geils, Charlie Daniels, and Johnny Winter was the ticket, I crap you negative.

Headliner was Charlie Daniels, I am sad to say, but we left shortly after his opening number when someone threw an M-80 from the arena seats to the floor where we were standing and it nearly blew off the left ear of the guy standing to my immediate left. I grabbed my sister and we scurried out.

Rock and Roll.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm currently listening to the Kings of Leon CDs - Aha Shake Heartbreak and Youth and Young Manhood.

Anyone else heard these?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

John Wesley Harding's "Awake".
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Kissy Monster

Post by Kissy Monster »

Jennifer Love Hewitt's "How Do I Deal?" Many don't know that in addition to singing she also acts. She is a true Renaissance Man.

I had the pleasure of meeting Love in my local supermarket. She was counting her items and was distressed to find that she had sixteen items--one too many to qualify for the express lane. I helped with the recount (drawing close enough to detect the delicious Juicy-Fruit-like scent of her skin!) and came up with fourteen items, so she joyfully joined the line and I felt like a hero.

A sour note was introduced when the cashier claimed she had twenty items. That cashier has a slight crush on me but if she thought that embarrassing me in front of J-Love was the way to my heart she was barking up the wrong alley. To say that Love took all of this in good part is an understatement. I can still hear her girlish laughter as it rang out in the cavernous Safeway that immortal day.
"Don't need no Bible just look in my eyes."
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Dean Martin's Italian Love Songs.....I just love Dino. He's my role model. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Laura Cantrells set on WFMU yesterday. Nice, easy listening on a sunny Dublin sunday morning, recovering from being up close and personal at the incredible U2 show last night.
Kissy Monster

Post by Kissy Monster »

"Whole Lotta Rosie"--AC/DC.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Couldn't be... that was one of an old friend's favourite songs...

Cheap And Nasty - Whitesnake
Kissy Monster

Post by Kissy Monster »

"It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me"--Billy Joel. With this song he completely refuted punk rock and all of modernism! Later, unexpectedly, he went on to front Green Day.
Kissy Monster

Post by Kissy Monster »

The radio station is in commercials now...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Kissy Monster wrote:"It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me"--Billy Joel. With this song he completely refuted punk rock and all of modernism! Later, unexpectedly, he went on to front Green Day.
Yes, he set rock n' roll back about 20 years.