What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Ran across my old cassettes in the basement - dug out John Hiatt's Riding with The King....great $#!+ !!!!!! Got me a load of old cassettes I'm digging into....heh...now if only I can get new turntable and a new switch in my "real" sound system, I'll be good to go ;)
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

'Mats - Anywhere Is Better Than Here
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Have I mentioned, in the past few days, how much I am loving Arcade Fire's record FUNERAL? It's just stunning. I have lots of new music (lucky me!) but I get out the headphones and I can't put on anything besides this record.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Some good recommendations recently. Eels album is great. I am also mostly this week really loving the James Blunt record....extraordinary album. Great voice.

Arcade Fire's album is also pretty fine, although I keep finding myself wanting to put on the Pixies album 'Bosanova'....so much does it remind me of that classic. Which is no bad thing. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

From the few tracks I've heard, Teenage fanclub's new album is worth buying as well. Always liked them. Really consistent quality jingly jangly scottish melodies. I love Scottish bands. Why are there so may great Scottish bands...? It's a mystery :?
corruptio optimi pessima
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I have been watching old videos on VH1 Classics. Over the past hour or so, I have seen Blinded Me by Science (Thomas Dolby), Father and Son (Cat Stevens), some Rush song live, a live Eurythmics song, Don't Back Down (Tom Petty) and Crossfire (Stevie Ray Vaughn). War is Over (The Doors), and Dolly Dagger (Jimi Hendrix).

If you ignore a couple of videos, this has been a nice way to spend a sick afternoon at home -- especially with the homemade Blueberry ice cream and homemade Chicken and Dumplings. mmmm Spooky is a great cook.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Sound like a good way to spend the day doc.

I'm home alone (with the kids who are fast asleep). Mrs Monkster is away with friends on a night out. Can you spare some of that blueberry Ice Cream? Sounds great! 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

King Creosote, Only Crime, Antony, various Richard Thompson & Van Morrison live gigs
What this world needs is more silly men.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jackson Monk wrote: Can you spare some of that blueberry Ice Cream? Sounds great! 8)
Dunno if they have it over thar, but I highly recommend Haagen Dazs Pineapple Coconut. I have ambitions of making a super-puckery lime pound cake to be topped with it....

In the mean time, I am cleaning the apartment and cranking Blondie, with my good pals the cousins IPA and THC for company.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Jackson Monk wrote:Can you spare some of that blueberry Ice Cream? Sounds great! 8)
Sure stop by anytime. Just call first to make sure we are here. :)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thievery Corporation - The Cosmic Game.

Initial Impressions were okay. However, the diversity throughout this fine collection of songs creeps up on you and before you know it...it has crept into your top ten of the year.

It takes an investment, but it pays off.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I borrowed a few CD's from a friend of mine and it looks like Andy White's "Out There" is the best of the lot.
Had not heard the guy before but I read he used to work with Tim Finn.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Ben Folds
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Martha Wainwright...you can't have too many of them!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Tell me more. Do you rate it? I'm keen. Like what I've heard.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I just downloaded it and about halfway through the second song I regretted not buying it unheard.

Really, her terrific solo song on the McGarrigle Hour CD, her duet with Kate on Matapedia, her singing in the Aviator and on most of her bros. most wonderful recordings and the various guest spots with dad should have been enough.

I already knew I love her voice, and it sounds better here than it ever has. Just listen to When The Day Is Short and admit you haven't heard a more sensually selfconfident female voice since, say, Chrissie Hynde. (Parallel narcissism and selfloathing seems to be hereditary in this family, and I have quite a weak spot for the results.)

To say she's the least talented member of her family is like saying Bruce is the least talented Attraction. (I think he probably is, and he's my favorite bass player. And I am one too.)

In short, as a debut record it doesn't top Loudon's Album I or the eponymous Kate & Anna McGarrigle LP (both influential for Elvis, I believe), but after a first listen it doesn't seem to be far behind Rufus' first effort. And that is saying something, especially since it sounds like a grower.

PS. The production is very tasteful too, with some great orchestrations and other stuff very stripped. DS.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra "Birds of Fire".
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven Hundred And Sixty-Six Seconds (Compilation)

Only 9.99 on iTunes for 21 songs and it's all great stuff.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

The High Dials - War of the Wakening Phantoms (just out today!)
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Mr. Average wrote:John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra "Birds of Fire".
Funny... I was just listening to Rawalpindi Blues off the Carla Bley and the Jazz Composer's Orchestra album Escalator Over the Hill. This particular track features the guitar playing of John McLaughlin and the vocals/bass of Jack Bruce.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven Hundred And Sixty-Six Seconds (Compilation)

Only 9.99 on iTunes for 21 songs and it's all great stuff.
Good to come across another TFC fan. The new album's worth a listen too WSS.
corruptio optimi pessima
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

As of this exact point in time as I type, am listening to B.B. King and Eric Clapton's Riding With The King ......great $#!+ !!!!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm seriously getting into the Eels. Thanks for the tips! I never would've checked them out if it wasn't for you boarders. Somehow I thought they'd be more sad weakling indie pop and less groove and guts and twisted heart beauty. They remind me of the first time I heard Mellow Gold; that there was really know way of knowing what the next track would sound like, just that I'd love it.

I went against my principles and downloaded six of their records as well as Martha's debut and the new Wallflowers, which after first listen sounds almost as good as the fantastic Breach (the one our boy Elvis sings on).

Why do I do this to myself? I can't afford to buy these eight albums, yet I will have to.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jackson Monk wrote:
Good to come across another TFC fan. The new album's worth a listen too WSS.
I think I mentioned this, but I was utterly ga-ga over Bandwagonesque when it came out, then checked back in with Songs From Northern Britain and was underwhelmed. Where did I go wrong?? What should I get next?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

You might wanna try Grand Prix SMM,... but then again I like everything theyve done including Thirteen which was pretty much universally condemned.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load