What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

BlueChair wrote:
pophead2k wrote:Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Really getting into this one. Ironically, for such a sedate, mellow album, it sounds best played really loud.
Especially "Side With Seeds" and "Walken" :)
They were on Later recently, playing a new song, gentle sound, brushed drums, and I was immediately impressed. I even liked the singing. Is all the LP this good?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Its like a great 70s album by Gene Clark or somebody- and it is a quick grower. I'm on about listen #6 and I'm hooked. Some deeply eccentric, but appealing guitar work and fairly clear lyrics.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

pophead2k wrote:Its like a great 70s album by Gene Clark or somebody- and it is a quick grower. I'm on about listen #6 and I'm hooked. Some deeply eccentric, but appealing guitar work and fairly clear lyrics.
Just got notice that it's available on 180g vinyl from Nonesuch. May have to pick this up.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Mike Boom wrote:
2007 SACD/DVDA remaster. Sounds fantastic. Makes an already great album even better.
I got the box including this, Wind & Wuthering, And Then There Were Three..., Duke and Abacab.
Duke also sounds wonderful. The other remasters didn't make that big an impression on me, sadly not Abacab either, one of my faves.
I got this too, well just the individual Trick of the Tail, not the box, and yeah, I was absolutely blown away how great it sounds. Fantastic remastering job and real joy to listen to. Plus there's the Genesis in concert film on the DVD, which Im really looking foward to seeing again, I remember it being fantastic , including "I Know What I like " and "Suppers Ready"- and I have a nice new big giant HD TV to watch it on - Hooray !!!
If I had an advance set list I might even go and see the old boys, but I have a horrible feeling it will be all "Land of Confusion" and "I Cant Dance" and awful awful rubbish like that.
Bring on the original re-union and a full live "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"!
I can strongly recommend Duke if you liked that album. It sounds fantastic as well . I especially like the start (Behind The Lines, always a favourite, -> Duchess -> Guide Vocal).

I would've loved to go see them. I had a pretty good chance too, but a friend had to cancel and I wouldn't want to make the trip alone. I like all Genesis albums more or less (except And Then There Were Three) as I grew up with 80's Genesis and got to know and love them during that period before listening to their 70's stuff. But yes, it's certainly not great, certainly not all of it at least ;).

I'm really looking forward to the 70-74 boxset. Nursery Cryme could really use a remaster (even the last remaster sounded rather muddled) and not to mention Lamb which sounds too weak. Though it was never among my favourite albums of theirs so I'm not sure better sound would do it for me.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Ever since Otis got me into Elbow's Leaders of the Free World, I keep returning to both Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme, which I think must be seminal to Elbow. I really can't get over how good those two records are (and though I wouldn't mind a remaster, the fuzziness is partly just early 70s aesthetic to me). Sadly, I never got to see Gabriel-era Genesis but a show during the (1978?) tour for And Then There Were Three was my first real rock concert. Quite an event for a sheltered suburban whitebread girl such as myself...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Wow, nice first concert MG - yes, that would have been 78 with Daryl Stuermer and Chester Thompson - any chance of a setlist? :lol:
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mechanical Grace

I'm sure it can be looked up! Certainly lots from Trick Of the Tail and Wind And Wuthering, both of which I could then and still sing in my sleep, but I can't recall how or if they delved into Gabriel-era stuff... Maybe Lamb Lies Down?

Anyway, the show was at Rockland Community College in Suffern, New York. General admission in a massive gym. Fucking crazy scene....
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Cool, MG!

Head over to http://www.genesis-movement.com and go to the recording search. Search for Rockland and you'll find there's actually an incomplete recording of the show and photos too! Amazing database :)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bit of a Sunday morning chill-out before our house gets overrun with first graders for my daughter's seventh birthday party...

Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Picked it up the other day since they're playing at Roskilde and I'd heard good things about it. Enjoyable, fun listening so far.
Otis Westinghouse

I think it's great. The first LP impressed me up to a point, but the new one has lots more to it. It's very much shot through with clear influences, lots of New Order and Kraftwerk, but other things stand out too. I haven't played it much yet, but really like the feel of it as a whole.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I guess I should get the other one too. Seems there's only a bonus disc version available though.

Currently listening to:

Previously I've heard Overnite Sensation which I like and Zoot Allures which I certainly did not. This is my favourite Zappa-listen so far though. Well played and really funny at times. How's Freak Out! in comparison to this? Seems interesting as well.
Otis Westinghouse

The bonus disc is good.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This really is an outstanding album. Can't understand why it hasn't got more press.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm probably the last person in the western world, but I got an ipod shuffle for my birthday and I'm having so much fun with it and the great juxtapositions that come out: Springsteen followed by Flop, Dylan butted up next to the Afghan Whigs, Sam Cooke one second and Judas Priest the next. Fun, fun, fun.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

pophead2k wrote:I'm probably the last person in the western world, but I got an ipod shuffle for my birthday
I think that honour still belongs to me :lol:

I'm currently listening to EC at the 9.30 Club, Washington from May 2007.

Great show. Wish he'd tour with The Imposters over here.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

That was the show I was at and I also have a copy- it was a great show and the recording is outstanding.
Otis Westinghouse

I paid for one on eBay a year ago and never got it and never sorted out the claim through eBay in time, basically cos the scummy bastard had a condition of allowing so many working days before asking for undelivered goods and then strung me out with emails until the deadline was gone. I was thinking the other day how I'd like one, but then I was think how much more I would like a proper sound system, as the two I have are both sub-par (and in no way do justice to my almost completely inert Linn Sondek). So that's first, and an MP3 player can wait. I don't commute, I cycle and wouldn't use headphones, and am happy to not have music on my dog walks, so it's not a huge issue.

I was reading a survey of MP3 players the other day and was very disappointed by how feeble the capacities are. Nothing over 4GB for under about £150. I want a decent player that would have 40GB for £100. Like I say, I'll wait.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Unless some portable device could offer me the full versatility of chosing from my entire collection, which they can't, I don't really see the point of carrying a large amount of music around especially if they're not as portable as my minute 512MB player. It's good for 5 or 6 albums (or playlists), fits in my pants pocket or shirt pocket nicely, I dare to take it on bike rides.., what more do I want? I'd hate the thought of losing or damaging an expensive player with a huge amount of music on it, which could easily happen if they're not as small.

A 20GB player (or whatever, medium range) would seem like a bad compromise, and a rip off. I don't get why they make them except as a silly exercise in product positioning - probably could have been 60GB at the same physical size, being the same technology.

For longer trips maybe a much cheaper external hard drive, say 60GB, and a good smaller player, would be a good option (I bought a 320GB for $Aus200, you can get a 60GB one that fits in a shirt pocket for under $Aus100). If on a flight or something, borrow someone's laptop for transfering the files. Copy some of theirs while you're at it.

Another thing is beware of players that have some copy protection bullshit, a friend of mine bought a 2GB Sony player and it wouldn't let him transfer certain files.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Actually, the latest iPods available are 80GB and a lot slimmer than my 20GB iPod from three years ago.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Being of weak mind and always prey to product positioning, I have a last-gen 20g iPod (3 yrs old) and it has changed my life, more or less. I see no need to keep my entire collection on one device, but 20g gives me a massive choice of stuff for the car and vacations. For my use, the best thing about 10+g is not having to think ahead about what you might want to hear. I spend a lot of time in my car, sadly, and it's nice to know that I'll have music for whatever mood I'm in over the course of the day. Ditto if I've got a particularly mindless task to do at work and can pop in the headphones.

In addition to all kinds of music and playlists, I have subscriptions to about 25 podcasts, about half of which include episodes going way back, because they're not time sensitive. For example, an episode of Terry Gross's Fresh air from 2 years ago is likely to still be riveting if you're hearing it for the first time now, as would any episode of Melvyn Bragg's In Our Time from the BBC. Or I can listen to Walt Whitman's Leaves Of Grass for three days running, if I feel like it. Or two hours of ridiculous theorizing about the current season of LOST, or an hour's worth of the guys at The Word magazine laughing (deservedly, usually) at each other's jokes. Lately I've been listening to Spanish lessons. And so on, all for free and according to whim. It's great.

Traveling is another fantastic use for iPods. In April I was lucky enough to go to Mexico for a week in a beach house with my family. Not only could I listen to music as I went to sleep, and so on -- for some reason all I wanted to hear was Lloyd Cole, so I kept a shuffled 7.5-hour all-Lloyd playlist going on a loop) but using a small recharger/speaker set we kept in the living room, we had music from no fewer than five iPods to chose from, so my sibs and I were able to play each other, and discuss, our new favorites, which was great fun.

I think the smaller players can be really great as well, for the reasons Boo mentions, but having a larger chunk of stuff has its joys, believe me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Put it this way. When I went to England for year to study, there was no way I could bring my entire CD collection with me. But I still wanted to have most of the music on hand.

In those days, mp3 players were priced very highly but I ended up buying a CD player that could play mp3s and burned most of my collection to "mp3 CDs." In retrospect it's kind of ridiculous considering I could have put all of that stuff on my iPod. And sure, part of the fun of road trips used to be loading up your CD booklet with tunes for the trip, but it's so much easier to just sync up your iPod and go.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

What I am listening* to right now is a load of board members talking about their chosen devices for listening to music :lol:

*this may not be technically correct as I am not physically hearing them. Only in my head. The voices are telling me to do what? No I can't! I won't! Aarrgghhh!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

On the way into work I was listening to the original, Jon Brion-produced version of Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine - far superior to the album that ultimately hit store shelves a few years later.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Finding the world a bit ugly? This is what you need.