What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Disc Two from the original release is ambient music. Good ambient music. Listening this morning.

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Btw, this is the UK album cover, I just like the other one better. And I confuse this one with the December's Children one with it being the same shot.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Bit of 5.1 Bowie for me. CD-Wow dropped the price to 8.99 and with a 50p off voucher arriving that day it was too much of a coincidence to ignore. Sounds great.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good move! Do you have a 5.1 system, or is it just sounding great on stereo? Playing it on headphones is so weird, like having a mind-altering drug which distorts your sensory perception in an odd way. It makes me excited to think about how music will sound in 20 years time. It's one reason to hope for a bit of longevity, and functioning ears. I have had a 102 ayear old grandmother and great aunt on both sides of my family, but then again have also inherited some of the congenital deafness, so it might not work out.

Please, please, please let there be a STS reissue along the same lines, but with more extras!

One thing that excites and depresses me reading the generally superb Strage fascination is the repeated refs to all this stuff in Bowie's vaults which he's holding onto. There are some rarities which I don't have in my reasonable stash which he has heard and writes about, but then there is all this other stuff. Wouldn't Bowie have made the extra bucks by now on it, or is he holding back for another round of reissues. Or will it never emerge?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

I have a 5.1 setup. 'Stage' also sounds sublime in 5.1, although in the case of 'David Live', Visconti proved that you can't polish a turd.
I would also absolutely love a version of STS done in the same format. My all time favourite Bowie album, that one. The title track sounds pretty special in 5.1 on 'Stage'.
As for those rarities, the same thing bugged me at the time. I heard some murmurs recently about there being a boxset planned for late this year, but as is so often the case with any Bowie stories, it's probably bollocks. That said, an Anthology-esque project has been talked about from time to time. One's thing for certain, it'd sell by the bucketload.
Otis Westinghouse

Funny how people are so anti-David Live. I love it, if only for the fantastic arrangements and musicianship, but also as that phase of his career fascinates me. Stage is dull and characterless, whereas DL is a great document. That's my take. But I must try the mind-altering 5.1 on headphones effect and see if it makes me feel like I'm sitting in Stalls Row E seat 22 or not.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

The thing with 'Stage' is that it's mixed around the soundscape, much like 'Young Americans', so it's going on all over the place, whereas Visconti went for a more conventional 'band at the front - crowd at the back' approach for 'David Live'. It's alright, and I have to confess to playing to the stereotype in my earlier posting, but I can't say it's anything special. 'Stage' I enjoy mainly as a result of this new mix.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Sam's Town - The Killers. I didn't think I would, but I really like this album.
Otis Westinghouse

There are some great songs on it.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

There are some really obvious nods to Queen and Springsteen, but I really like the ambition of it. You feel like they were really consciously going for an epic. Not exactly Born to Run or a Night at the Opera, but a helluva try.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

now that's some good shit.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse

Someone else I haven't heard of. Lots of rave reviews on Amazon. Do tell more.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Someone else I haven't heard of. Lots of rave reviews on Amazon. Do tell more.
Someone on listserv was so emphatically gone on this album that I got it on a whim . There isn't a dull moment on it , an absolute riot of inventiveness.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

That's enough for me. I 'll give it a go. Need something new
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Mingus Ah Um....Uhmmmm, freaking brilliant.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, most of it. I keep getting stuck on Inner City Violence, which is just ... amazing.
Otis Westinghouse

This LP keeps growing on me. She has a lovely, strong voice which she uses to great effect, real variety in the songwriting, nice quirkiness. And she's dead gorgeous, not that that has any bearing on any aesthetic judgement, of course. And she sings in her native Russian at one bit. Have you seen Jamie Lee Curtis react to John Cleese reciting Pushkin in A Fish Called Wanda? Well I can relate to that scene a lot more now. It's produced by a guy who's done one or two of the Strokes records, and a very good song called Better has their Nick Valensi playing guitar on it. That's the rockiest it gets. Elsewhere it's Joni meets Chopin, though with quite a lot of poppiness too. Several of the songs get wedged in your head, and the ones that don't probably will. And goodf words. If you're looking for a new female singer to check out, I can't recommend this enough.
Otis Westinghouse

I've never really heard their/his stuff, though the rave reviews have made me want to check them out. Friend sent me this and the new one. So far so good. Good music to be active to, whether it's dancing or some other form. Nicely rough edged. Smart but with a home-made ethic. Looking forward to hearing more.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The best Santana recording ever.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

that is why Elton John should be banned from ever having another rummage sale.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Loads of lovely lap steel and ghostly melancholic vocals. I really dig this, especially "Wintering in Brooklyn."
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Dr. Phil McGraw on tv in the other room. My wife and daughter think him to be genius. He is Richard Simmons meets Oprah with a dash of pseudo-science psycho voodoo that makes for great tv but nothing substantial. These guys get ratings whilst they whittle-away at peoples lives.

He is pissing me off.

I need to listen to some good tunage, so, from this point, I am spinning: