What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Poor Deportee

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:From the sublime to the ridiculous, here is an album that amounts to a bizarre commentary on the collapsing attention spans of contemporary culture:

http://buck65.com/buck/news/sass/

Free to download...for obvious reasons.
I am of two camps- hoping that this a spoof, its satire slightly adolescent; or a self-indulgent, late in the evening stimulant aided and addled piece of crap. I hope it is the latter; I fear it is the former. You kindly turned me on to this performer. I expect better from him based upon past efforts. This return to a 'stars on 45' approach to writing and recording will not bring me back.
I agree. If this is a free givaway to fans meant as mildly amusing filler between actual albums, then I have no objection at all (in fact, I think that in the internet age there is something to be said for artists cheerfully offering cast-offs as weird diversions to people who want them). But if this is meant as a major release then he has seriously miscalculated.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Seemed like a mildly amusing joke to me. I managed to listen to it all while reading the text. Just about held my attention span for 4.5 minutes. I did laugh a couple of times.

I always feel I don't get to sit and listen to enough music on the hifi - same room as TV, someone usually in there with that on, etc., so had a lovely time yesterday with family listening to Doolittle (which I got for £2.77 delivered off Zoverstocks, Pixies passed me by at the time, though I know the classics, have played Here Comes Your Man in my band for years, and love Monkey Gone To Heaven), Beethoven String Quartet op. 131 (as in A Late Quartet which I'm keen to see though it's getting pretty mixed reactions here, with the word 'melodrama' being much used along with scoffing at the corniness of PSHoff starting an affair with a woman who dances flamenco, etc.), and the first side of the immortal Low. The latter was the first time I've fired up my cherished Linn Sondek in some time, and it was sounding pretty good. It just needs regular love and use.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I do not know what I would do without my ipod. I can isolate myself now, go to the local track and really listen to what is currently engaging me. Is not the opus 131 heaven? Otis, I hope you are not put off by other comments about the film. It is quite good and it may well be the best I have ever seen about the human element of classical music and of the special dynamics needed to make a great musical unit. And PSH is most believable as a man who can chance throwing his marriage and possibly career away over an affair, even with a Flamenco dancer. Christopher Walken is the highpoint, though. Not to be missed.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Bradshaw and French, my newspaper staples, were impressed:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/apr ... tet-review
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/apr ... nch-review

I note in the latter a ref to the Frick collection. I'll enjoy seeing that on film, great place.

Talking of iPods, recently got my best ever set of headphones, Soundmagic E10s. Really comfortable, gorgeous clarity and balance of sound. You can really study the music as you listen to it as well as enjoy it. Perfect for my nightly pre-sleep listening and also for dog walks. You can pay far more, but these do the job perfectly well, and are about 50 times better than the Apple standard issue ones. Apparently if you spend an extra £12 or so you can get foam tips that isolate the sound and are a revelation on top of the already excellent sound. Guess I'll have to.
http://www.whathifi.com/review/soundmagic-e10
Jack of All Parades

I have spent many hours in front of that very painting, as well. A most manageable collection at the Frick. Thank you for the ear bud suggestion- I will look into those.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Fridays in the cube and I am testifying with the inestimable aid of "Praise & Blame" from Tom Jones of all people. Two years old this record and I have not stopped playing it with regularity. It is a timeles formula- let a late career performer go into the studio, record some well chosen material, pare down the frou frou that has hampered his past recording efforts[the cliches of big music]- get back to the voice connecting with material. It often does not work- this time it does with some real sparks on the CD. Mr Jones needs to thank Ethan Johns and the people at Lost Highway. They have done him proud. This is music of a personal nature and you honestly feel the connection with the performer. Stand out for me is his take on Dylan's "What Good Am I". Tom makes it a troubled inner inquiry that when heard lingers long after the song stops playing. The internal inquisition he puts himself through has redeemed a song from Dylan's catalog. That and his take on Rosetta Sharpe's "Strange Things" really move me. I want to believe that Dylan's addition of "What Good am I" into his current song set on his current NET is a result of his having heard Tom's take his song to a new level as I firmly believe Tom now owns that song.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The complete adventures of The Style Council

Some of it sounds dated, some of the songs I'd forgotten about (and am so pleased to have found them again), some of the songs are as fun as when I first heard them and some I'm happy to leave.

An adventure indeed!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Friday in the cube-today with another mid sixties session with Hank Mobley and his soul mate Lee Morgan- "Dippin'". These two are so much entwined with their playing on this record- they mirror one another breathe stops almost. It is extraordinary. When you combine the percussive attack on piano from Harold Mabern, Jr., you have an impressive sound- crisp and lyrical with a blues tinge. the sound is not brassy, though. It has a tone that is confident, firm and sweet all at once. The opening two song punch of "The Dip" and "Recado Bossa Nova"[that Zoot Sims had made popular with my father in law] set the album up nicely. The band cooks and breathes an infectious life into the musical forms that make up the two- 12 bar blues and bossa nova so often used in sessions of that time. When they move into Mobley's "The Break Through" you are hooked as a listener. To say I am having fun is an understatement. Also Mobley could write. This record proves that.

Here is the opening track-"The Dip":

http://youtu.be/omt_fHIMe9g
Jack of All Parades

The new Tom Jones- Spirit in the Room. Yep- Mr. Jones. This album deserves a wider audience and ears willing to suspend past prejudices and just listen with both ears and an engaged mind. Ethan Johns has stripped away all but the beautiful melodies of indivdual songs and then just embellished them with strong acoustic guitar and piano arrangements and let Mr. Jones loose to just connect with the lyrics. And connect he does more often than not- in fact the only song that fails to click for me is when a choir is brought in to augment "Charlie Darwin". It does not work for me. But when he rolls his rich voice over Paul Simons' "Love and Blessings" with its evocative cry for understanding and reconciliation or a gorgeous version of "Lone Pilgrim" which sounds like Tom is just up in the mountain cabin mourning or Leonard Cohen's "Tower of Song" you forget this was the same lounge performer who made the ladies swoon in his heyday. He has become quite the interpretor of Dylan these days- on this record he tackles "When the Deal Goes Down" and he manages to get every ghostly and painful echo out of the words. I am convinced it was his version two years ago of "What Good am I" that has caused Dylan to revisit that song on his current tour of college campuses. I hope it stays in the song set as he expands the tour this summer with My Morning Jacket. He has a tremendous set going these days. But back to Mr. Jones. Not ashamed in the least to say I like this record. In fact i like it a lot. Anyone can snigger and make snide allusions to his performing past- what counts for me is what he is doing these days and to these ears he is doing just right.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:The new Tom Jones- Spirit in the Room. Yep- Mr. Jones. This album deserves a wider audience and ears willing to suspend past prejudices and just listen with both ears and an engaged mind. Ethan Johns has stripped away all but the beautiful melodies of indivdual songs and then just embellished them with strong acoustic guitar and piano arrangements and let Mr. Jones loose to just connect with the lyrics. And connect he does more often than not- in fact the only song that fails to click for me is when a choir is brought in to augment "Charlie Darwin". It does not work for me. But when he rolls his rich voice over Paul Simons' "Love and Blessings" with its evocative cry for understanding and reconciliation or a gorgeous version of "Lone Pilgrim" which sounds like Tom is just up in the mountain cabin mourning or Leonard Cohen's "Tower of Song" you forget this was the same lounge performer who made the ladies swoon in his heyday. He has become quite the interpretor of Dylan these days- on this record he tackles "When the Deal Goes Down" and he manages to get every ghostly and painful echo out of the words. I am convinced it was his version two years ago of "What Good am I" that has caused Dylan to revisit that song on his current tour of college campuses. I hope it stays in the song set as he expands the tour this summer with My Morning Jacket. He has a tremendous set going these days. But back to Mr. Jones. Not ashamed in the least to say I like this record. In fact i like it a lot. Anyone can snigger and make snide allusions to his performing past- what counts for me is what he is doing these days and to these ears he is doing just right.
Well, I for one would never "snigger" at Tom Jones. Sure, the hairy chest shirts and 'What's New Pussycat' were grotesque, but this guy has always packed a wallop and his musical interests have always been rich and diverse. He's had a sense of fun over the years, which is not the same thing as being bad. It took my wife to drag me to a show, though, before my ears were opened to the full scope of his talent - old-school but bona-fide. When he sang Howlin' Wolf about three songs into the set, I started to realize that there was more to this guy than his image suggested.

Now, looking over the song selection on Spirit in the Room, I'm amazed to find a selection of material that includes one of my all-time favourite songs (traditional Lone Pilgrim, which of course I know from Dylan's hypnotic World Gone Wrong) and choices that suggest Mr. Jones has been rifling through my CD collection! (Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Dylan). If we could only get him to do a Costello song, the world would truly be redeemed. Sounds to me like Tom is entering his twilight years in style, still giving 'em that showbiz "oomph" where warranted ("Bad as Me") but mostly choosing to inhabit distinguished, reflective and indeed spiritual material. You're right, Chris, about his reading of Dylan's "What Good Am I"...a plodding bore in its original version, the song becomes transmuted by Jones into something spine-tingling. A real highlight of Dylan interpretation actually.

One thing I can guarantee: Bob loves the fact that Tom Jones is covering him. :wink: If that ain't so I'll eat my Stetson.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Amen- PD. One of a number of things I am looking forward to this summer is the chance to see Bob yet again out on the road- his announced summer dates which will feature a bill of Wilco, My Morning Jacket, and Richard Thompson along with His Bobness has me excited. Bob's ability to work in four of the stronger songs from Tempest into his new set and to consistently offer Things Have Changed, What Good am I and Blind Willie McTell nightly has me intrigued. When you add that the early reviews of the recent college campus tour indicate a recharged Bob who is engaged and offering more than a 'croak' for his vocals and the new guitarist Duke Robillard, these two things have cinched the deal for me. There are several dates within an hour from my home so I am going to see if I can interest my middle daughter and her boyfriend to accompany me as they are both big fans of My Morning Jacket and Wilco and I feel they should see Bob once in their lifetime along with Mr. Thompson. It could be a memorable night. Am sorry that it does not appear this show will be out your way in Vancouver. :(
Otis Westinghouse

Got an email alert for the above and felt myself turning a little green. What a line-up.
Jack of All Parades

I know. Quite the convergence of talent. It is why I cannot pass an opportunity to see all of them in one place. The other nice thing, Otis, is that they are playing in reasonably small places like minor league ballparks. I have one in my town and it would be wonderful if they could add a show there. That is how I saw Wilco several years ago. I was able to walk to the concert.
Jack of All Parades

In the cube and currently enjoying the reissue of "Two of a Mind" with Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan. These two blend well together- the airy tone of Desmond with the earthy sound of Mulligan. An album of total improvizations on established classics like "StarDust' and "The Way You Look Tonight" for starters. To make over an hours worth of music on the fly is most impressive. The two players are quite the tandem. I partcularly enjoy the counterpoint achieved in the opening track "All the Things You Are". It sets the tone for the record and the two saxophonists take off from there. Here is that song:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5796,d.dmQ
Jack of All Parades

Filling the cube up today with the sounds coming from the re-release of a 1976 Xanadu recording where my father in law was paired with Dexter Gordon for what in the good old days would have been called a ''blowing" session- Al Cohn/Dexter Gordon "True Blue". Dexter had just moved back to America after a long absence in Europe and he wanted to record with Al and have him work up some arrangements. They went into a studio in October and in the course of one day produced the bulk of this record on the fly. To have the likes of Blue Mitchell, Sam Noto, Barry Harris, Sam Jones and Louis Hayes in one room with no charts and then have them just create on the fly is some accomplishment. I remember Al telling me over a dinner that this was a fun day. You can hear it in the playing. I expecially like this number- "Silver Blue". There is some extremely sophisticated playing going on here in this extemporaneous comping of an old blues tune. Take a listen:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 0087,d.dmQ
Jack of All Parades

Friday in the cube and today it is a new one to me and a 'little gem' Hank Mobley Messages from a 1956 group of sessions which featured Donald Byrd and Kenny Dorham on trumpet, Barry Harris and Walter Bishop on piano, Doug Watkins on bass and Arthur Taylor on drums. Anyone familiar with this era will recognize many members of a famous Art Blakey unit. Perhaps my favorite era for Jazz- the late 40s through the 50's. Mobley is the leader and he works his way beautifully through BE bop standards like "Bouncing with Bud". "52nd St Theme" and "Au Prive". You throw in some standards like "little girl blue" or "These Are the Things I Love" and you have an album that showcases the improvisational skills of Mr. Mobley and his fellow players. And do they play tightly together in the best bebop manner- they are often seamless as they compliment one another in developing and exploring a particular song. This music bubbles, percolates and motivates as they trade measures. I have a feeling this is a record that will consistently stay on my regular play list. Listen to this for a taste:

http://youtu.be/wvRu3zbM7cg
Jack of All Parades

Friday in the cube and a real gem to keep me company- unknown until now by me- Kenny Dorham "Una Mas". A 1963 date with Joe Henderson on tenor, Herbie Hancock on piano, Butch Warren on bass and Tony Williams on drums. Hancock and Williams would be gone within the month to join with Miles Davis and Dorham would be beginning his long health decline and Joe Henderson was a new discovery by Dorham. The original date is all beautiful Dorham originals- "Una Mas", "Straight Ahead" and "Sao Paolo". Each exceptional in ideas and execution. I am going to say that there are times after listening to this record and another "Afro-Cuban" where I think Dorham supplants Miles Davis as a trumpeter. I lean that way because not only can he match Davis for technical and melodic skill but he can flat out write intelligent, challenging and at the same time very enticing harmonies and melodies that must be sheer fun to play. The 'groove' he establishes in "Una Mas" is intoxicating. It sucks you in as it switches logically from bossa nova to blues. To hear the quality on this record one need only listen to the final track which was not on the original record- "If Ever I Would Leave You". Once heard I think you will know why Mr. Dorham was a special talent:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 0616,d.dmQ
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The new Vampire Weekend is exceptional. Third time through, and I am digging the hell out of it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jack of All Parades

Second your recommendation there- first few times through a noticable step forward in musical maturity in both song craft and in the musical pallete. This is a keeper and one I think that will continue to grow on me. Just a bracing ode to their adopted city- NYC. I will try to offer more later after I have digested the record over several days.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Right in the middle of my fifth listening. It's seamless. The transition from track to track is genius. It's an ALBUM in an age of iTunes singles. This and Bowie's Next Day are my favorite records of the year so far.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jack of All Parades

Like you it is really staying with me with each listen- one striking component of the record that I was not expecting was its tightness and near seamlessness. It strikes me on these first listens as approaching the same cohesiveness that I heard all those years ago in a record like "Armed Forces". In fact this band has a strength these days in its playing as a unit that equals the young Attractions. They are a powerful bunch of players. And I am willing to go out on a limb and state my admiration for Mr. Konig's vocals. Some of the best singing I have heard in some time especially his falsetto. Here is a taste with one of the album's key tracks- "Diane Young":
http://youtu.be/-DUNBs5fX0E
Otis Westinghouse

They were interesting on Later this week, and have read good things. Been having fun in my covers band playing A Punk, as fast as they do if not faster. Life in the old dogs yet.

Talking of falsetto/high voices, I was passing the Corn Exchange in town earlier and the kind of (in that they were based here when creating their debut album An Awesome Wave) local band Alt J were playing their long since sold out gig there. I imagine now that they've won the Mercury Prize and touring a lot that their based in a suitcase, or maybe London, but to hear their sound escaping from the doorways made me wish I'd got in there early for a ticket. Beautifully textural and exciting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYjOVo5IEw

Can't complain though tomorrow with British pianist Martin Roscoe performing LVB's Waldstein and a Schubert Sonata, plus some Brahms and Haydn, and then on Saturday John Grant touring his superb latest album Pale Green Ghosts. Was also excited to see that Neil Young and Crazy Horse in June will be supported by Los Lobos, who I've never seen.
Jack of All Parades

Otis- enjoy your first live taste of Los Lobos. A superb band and 'real' musicians with a unique vision of their own. One of my favorites for almost forty years. And now The National in about two weeks.
Jack of All Parades

About that new Vampire Weekend album. If, as critics are saying, it is the third part of a bildungsroman, I am in. Following youthful exuberance and travel into other worlds perhaps it is time to consider growing up and taking one's place in the world. That seems to be a good part of what this album is about. And is time ever 'ticking' in this record- the references to its passing are numerous. The songs are filled with references to adulthood and faith as the characters in the songs try to make the adjustment from youth to adult in a modern urban environment. Ezra Koenig and Rostam Batmanglij make a potent song writing combination. They also make a potent set of singers with Koenig taking the lead as he is backed up by the delicate harmonies of Batmanglij. I really like how they have incorporated the piano and electric organ into their new material. It has opened up the sonic palette immensely. Mr. Batmanglij is on record as stating he was going for the mid 60's sound of Dylan with his piano- I think he hit it. Noise Radio commented on the seamlessness of the material. I could not agree more. These songs ebb and flow into one another with a tightness that is anchored by the bass and drum section of this band- Chris Baio and Chris Tomson. They are no longer just clever- they are the thoughtful young members of a dynamic band that is beginning to hit its stride. I look forward to staying with them for the long haul. The cleverness is still there- witness their subtle usage of weeping willow in a lyric to give emphasis to the passage of time and memorializing- but they are vastly improved players and writers now. Perhaps not Rogers and Hart but definitely heads and shoulders above SHa Na Na. They make an old alum proud.
Jack of All Parades

Friday in my cube and a solid treat to keep me company as I get through the work day- Kenny Dorham's "Afro-Cuban". My father in law used to rave about this record- I now fully understand why. With a core group of musicians including Horace Silver, Hank Mobley, JJ Johnson, Oscar Pettiford, Art Blakey and Carlos'Patato'Valdes[a revelation] Dorham made a jazz essential back in 1955. These guys steam through a set of four songs that showcase all their playing abilities. That tandem of Blakey and Valdes percolates underneath, occassionaly erupting to take the lead in a given song. This is music that is alive in the moment and yet timeless. This album also makes the definitve case for Mr. Dorham as a superb trumpet player- one of the best of his generation. Can you tell I love this record? The remaining tracks on the reissue are from an earlier date that year and feature four more Dorham originals. This is a record that should be in any real listener's jazz collection. Have a taste here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1029,d.dmQ