What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Happy Birthday Mug Jr.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

What would be the motive behind derrogating an individual for gaining satisfaction and enjoyment from any song? I think Sheryl Crow is a talentless hack as a singer (not a bad songwriter) but I know many that derive great enjoyment and peace from her songs?

Recently, a board member severly criticized me because of my high regard for Pat Metheny, and accomplished and highly respected jazz guitarist. It was completely baffling to me, but not inconsistent with what I have come to expect from the few who find some sort of sad vicarious thrill in trying to find the most novel and inventive ways to belittle others.

Sad.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

selfmademug wrote:I believe he meant that, having said he was enjoying a song a lot and that it was cheering him up, you turned around and said that it sucked.
If so, he must have misread my post.
bambooneedle wrote:Mr. Misery, can you cite any obviously weaker song on the album? I can't.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

So calling it the obviously weakest song on the record doesn't imply that it's bad? Is it such a record of genius that the weakest song is good? If not, you have a crappy grasp of logic.

This place makes me nuts sometimes. :roll:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Read carefully. Yes, the weakest song is very good. But I wouldn't know which one it might be, because there is no obviously weaker song on the album to my mind.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Radio 4 is in the background, but in general it's all Dylan right now. Trying to get to know Love and Theft better. It's got its moments, but it just doesn't do much for me. Looking forward to Tweedledee and Tweedledum live, thoough. Also revisiting Time Out Of Mind, and John Wesley Harding, which Dylan is visiting a lot on this tour. His setlists change so much every night, though! Generally starts with Maggie's Farm, generally encores with All Along the Watchtower and Like a Rolling Stone. I love this site for its comprehensive info:

http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/dates.html

And this part is invaluable:

http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/song2005.html

Sadly it hasn't got further than Nov 13, when of course I was hoping it would update daily with each additional setlist.

I'm so excited about finally getting to see Dylan in a great venue in good company and on what is sounding like a very strong tour. I'd love him to play Forever Young or Not Dark Yet, but I guess that's unlikely. As is pretty well anything off Blood On the Tracks. But that's OK by me, given the variety of each night's set. What is certain is that most of the set will be songs I love.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/dates.html#1113

Otis - Set lists up to the 18th Nov on this link.

Birmingham, England
NEC
November 18, 2005

1. Maggie's Farm
2. Tell Me That It Isn't True
3. Watching The River Flow
4. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
5. Ballad Of A Thin Man
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Mr. Tambourine Man
8. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
9. Chimes Of Freedom (acoustic)
10. 'Til I Fell In Love With You
11. Visions Of Johanna (acoustic)
12. Honest With Me
13. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll (acoustic)
14. Summer Days

(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. All Along The Watchtower

Have a great time at the show.
echos myron like a siren
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

bambooneedle wrote:Read carefully. Yes, the weakest song is very good. But I wouldn't know which one it might be, because there is no obviously weaker song on the album to my mind.
Ah, I forgot I was dealing with the paragon of clarity and subtle reasoning. So you were really saying, with no facetiousness whatsoever, "Mr. Misery, I think the song you love is the weakest one on the record, but I'm not sure, what do you think?" Makes sense. I guess.

PS, although I'm no longer listening to it, I have the Hot Hot Heat song 'Bandages' in my head. Or, as my son and I liked to sing before we knew what the real words were, "Bag o' chips, bag o' chips, bag o' chips, bag o' chips, ( bag o' chips, bag o' chips)".
verena

Post by verena »

Needle, I was glad to read those lyrics of Macca. I don't know about this one, but when I like a song I don't mind if it's weak, and if it's good but weaker than others then I couldn't care less.

We have an old saying in France, dating back to the times of the knights but that holds true today as part of an unwritten "code of honour". The principle goes "On ne frappe pas un homme à terre". In the language of this board it could be translated by "You don't pour water on a drowning man". Of course there are occurances when the rule is ignored, and when I see that happening it hurts.
Otis Westinghouse

Mike Boom wrote:Otis - Set lists up to the 18th Nov on this link.
Thanks, Mike, though that is, of course, the same link as my first. I meant it was a shame that my other link, the A-Z listing of all songs played all year, ends on the 13th. I'm an anal setlist freak and want to have a sheet of paper telling me every song up to and including Birmingham. Sadly their programming doesn't automatically update the complete song listing from the nightly setlists, which would have been my dream.

I'll give a detailed account, of course!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

aha - I see!

Confusion reigns on the Internets!!

Looking foward to your in-depth account.
echos myron like a siren
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

SMM - I don't recall making reference to that song, and was not. As I said earlier, it looks like Mr. Misery misread my post... we'll see what he says. In the meantime, would you mind not adding to the confusion? Thanks. If someone said to you, "what are the obviously weaker songs on an album, are there any?", what would you understand that to mean? The ones that stand out as obviously weaker, if there are any, right? "Can you cite any obviously weaker song on the album?" is no different. My post was intact. It does not say "...than that song". There is no song on Chaos and Creation In The Backyard (probably what Mr. Misery is doing right now) that stands out to me as one that is obviously weaker ('weak'-er being relative) than the rest of them; they all seem like strong songs. I praised the album earlier. I like it about as much as I like Band On The Run. I really like No More Rain. Get it now?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Bamboo, the comparative adjective "weaker" is what distorted your message/question. I'm sure if you had asked "Can you cite any obviously weak song on the album?" there wouldn't have been any confusion.

Now it's clear, of course.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

And I'm listening to a new XTC song called "Spiral".
I've read an unfavourable review of the song, but it's pretty good, actually.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

bambooneedle wrote:Get it now?
Well yes, I guess I get what you mean, but you should have just said "I wasn't referring to 'Too Much Rain'," because the obvious implication is that you were. The credit for the confusion goes to you not me.

I wouldn't have bothered about any of this except that in any logical interpretation of the 2 posts-- Him: 'Too Much Rain' is great and helping me a lot right now, You: Could you cite a weaker song?-- you were being very rude. Otherwise I don't give a shit as to what you meant, cause I don't know the record. I've recently been the target of a lot of gratuitous shitheaded-ness (not here, in real life) and it makes me senstive to seeing it doled out to others. Consider it dropped, by me anyway.
Otis Westinghouse

1.15am, very cold in the house, but am trying to get to the perfect pre-bed moment with Dylan's Forever Young. I knew he wouldn't play this tonight, nor Not Dark Yet, but held out hope. Two of my favourite Dylan songs, possibly my favourite two, certainly the two with the strongest personal emotional ties for me, and both very much about our time span on this planet, one full of hope for the road ahead, the other looking wistfully at the road behind (that's a ref to a song on Neil Young's latest). It was amazinng to finally get to see him today. A genuine bona fide legend, with arguably the best back catalogue in musical history.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:And I'm listening to a new XTC song called "Spiral".
I've read an unfavourable review of the song, but it's pretty good, actually.
I like it - good stuff from Partsy.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Bamboo, not to belabor the point but your post was interpreted in the same way by intelligent board members from France, Poland, and the United States (a global consensus is forming!). There was a discrepancy between what you wrote and what you intended to write. No hard feelings. The matter rests.

You are getting a megadose of Macca with all those albums, great stuff. I've listened to Chaos and Creation the whole way through but cannot resist playing 'Too Much Rain' and 'A Certain Softness' over and over.
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

invisible Pole wrote:Bamboo, the comparative adjective "weaker" is what distorted your message/question. I'm sure if you had asked "Can you cite any obviously weak song on the album?" there wouldn't have been any confusion.

IP - That wouldn't have been confusing in itself, but it does have another meaning.

SMM - Yes, let's drop it. :roll:

Mr. Misery - I can't speak for posters or their thought processes but I fail to see a discrepancy. Would you (or someone else) mind pointing it out? I just would like to know what it is for my own information.

My current favourite is Promise To You Girl. The album is very easy to listen to all the way through, a real album. About 7 minutes leaner than the last two. What I've been noticing lately is his lead guitar playing style. The hofner bass and piano are trademarks, but there are so many other touches via an array of instruments that I keep finding attributed to him... very impressive.
-------
Last edited by bambooneedle on Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

bambooneedle wrote:
invisible Pole wrote:Bamboo, the comparative adjective "weaker" is what distorted your message/question. I'm sure if you had asked "Can you cite any obviously weak song on the album?" there wouldn't have been any confusion.

IP - That wouldn't have been confusing in itself, but it does have another meaning.
Forget it .....
verena

Post by verena »

I second that, and I shall add : Need and Misery : STOP IT !!! :evil:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Trashcan Sinatras - Cake

Picked up on the cheap at a used record shop in Manhattan this weekend. Right up there with their excellent Weightlifting.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I've been meaning to search that one out, Sammy. It's good I have you guys since, as has been established, I live under a rock! :roll:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:I've been meaning to search that one out, Sammy. It's good I have you guys since, as has been established, I live under a rock! :roll:
Think it's out of print - the jewel case is pretty beat up, but the disc seems fine.
Otis Westinghouse

Dylan Live in Chicago March 2004. Good setlist. Until I've completed the download of last night's gig, this is the closest I have to being back where I was last night.