What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

There goes Nadine. Nadine, Nadine. There goes Nadine Nadine Nadine Nadine.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Image

Memories of tooling around Southern California in my 1981 mercury cougar. My sister once played a drinking game called "bunny in the middle" with the Squeeze guys after a show in San Diego. Think she's still in love with Glenn Tilbrook.
Argybargy is one of the greatest albums ever made. Have I ever mentioned how much I love Glenn Tilbrook....one of the great musical saints of our time.......and a truly lovely bloke as well.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Stephen Fretwell's lovely Magpie, thanks to a UK-based friend. Has this been getting much attention over there? It really is very very good.
WSS and I seem to have very similar musical taste.....I heard 'Emily' and loved it so much that I'm off to but this on my next CD trip.

Thanks mate.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Stephen Fretwell's lovely Magpie, thanks to a UK-based friend. Has this been getting much attention over there? It really is very very good.
WSS and I seem to have very similar musical taste.....I heard 'Emily' and loved it so much that I'm off to but this on my next CD trip.

Thanks mate.
Good to hear - hope you like it.

He does need to do something about that hair! :shock: Must have the same hairdresser as Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:There goes Nadine. Nadine, Nadine. There goes Nadine Nadine Nadine Nadine.
Great tune.

There goes Nadine
Head to toe in black
There goes Nadine
Head to toe in black
When I see Nadine
I want that

Will she let me in
Underneath her clothes?
Will she let me in
Underneath her clothes?
That girl got skin
Like a ghost

That's my favorite FB & the Catholics disc.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

My fave Frank Black CD, period.

And bambooneedle, if you're a dimeadozener, download the INCREDIBLE version of I'll Keep It With Mine from Richard & Linda's famous breakup tour, on a soundboard recording from a place called the Second Story in Bloomington, Indiana '82. It's spinechilling.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

By a strange coincidence, I'm listening to Rumor And Sigh at the moment.

If you'd never heard the album before, you could be forgiven for thinking that RT is singing "but I'm missing this dude" rather than "but I misunderstood". :D

BTW, betcha EC could do a killer cover of "Why Must I Plead".
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Next time I see Richard and laugh in the sombre parts, I'll hold you responsible.

On an almost similar note, a friend of mine misheard the Lag Wagon song Bye For Now (...I didn't mean to let you down, didn't mean to drive you away) as "Bi for now/I did mean to let you down/Didn't mean to drive you away", making up this elaborate storyline about the narrator being unsure of his best (male) friend's intentions but being sure of not wanting to lose him as a friend, so etc.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:D

Sounds like your friend might have some issues to work through!

There are probably a good baker's dozen of EC's songs that I'd been getting wrong for years until I bought the reissues. Very few of the LPs had lyric sheets (Imperial Bedroom was one notable exception) and this was pre-Internet, so I would play the songs over and over again hoping to get the words right. A lot of the English slang had me bamboozled.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote::D

Sounds like your friend might have some issues to work through!
We have worked them through, thoroughly. A girl was also involved in the equation. :wink:
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Belle & Sebastian - Take Your Carriage Clock And Shove It
A lovely orchestrated song from this year's compilation of their EP's.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Meeting across the river....brooce
corruptio optimi pessima
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I really need more of this guy's albums 8)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I've got this one - an excellent collection with much of his best stuff...

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Listening to selections from the Talking Heads "Brick" box set - Fear Of Music and now Little Creatures.

The later albums, especially the largely overlooked Naked, are a lot better than I remembered. The surround mixes on the DVD audio side are absolutely stunning on our home theater system, but the remastered stereo side is damn impressive too. All sorts of hidden detail emerges.

They will be releasing the DualDisc albums individually in early in 2006. If you're a Heads fan, it's well worth the investment to hear them in such beautfiul sound.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the american Pete Murray.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl. What a pleasant surprise. After the dissapointing second album this is a great blues, americana album with a great production (T-bone-burnett helped them)

Anyone got it?

Also the new "My Morning Jacket" album "Z" (good, but they try to sound to much like Flaming Lips now) and A Bigger Bang which is really really rocking - maybe a bit too much, some of the songs sound the same.

And EC's "Smile". Finally bought it but the songs got a pretty bad sound and who's the girl on the cover?
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

King Hoarse wrote:And bambooneedle, if you're a dimeadozener, download the INCREDIBLE version of I'll Keep It With Mine from Richard & Linda's famous breakup tour, on a soundboard recording from a place called the Second Story in Bloomington, Indiana '82. It's spinechilling.
I am not a dimeadozener but thank you King Hoarse. Is it both RT and Linda on it?
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Mr. Average wrote: John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman. No title. Six songs only, any one of which carries the record to another level. Less than 30 minutes of some of the most wonderful music.
The SACD of this arrived from the US on Thursday and I had a proper chance to digest it earlier. A fabulous sounding record, the two work together beautifully and it really is as good as your post made it sound. Cheers for the recommendation.

It arrived with some other stuff I picked up in an online sale including SACDs of Brubeck's 'Time Out', Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' Hancock's 'Head Hunters' and 'North'. I added to that pile a copy of Adderley's 'Somethin' Else' on HDAD. I've already got vinyl and CD but I'd read about this new HDAD format, essentially a double-sided DVD with DVD audio on one side that samples at an astronomical rate and which they are branding 'Master Tape Sound'. Call it a fad, but it's the best sounding version of 'Somethin' Else' I've ever heard. Highly recommended to anyone with the kit to play it.

Oh, and currently playing disc 1 of Miles' 'Complete In A Silent Way Sessions'. Awesome.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Oh Man oh Man Bad Ass, you are into the shit!

Thrilling post, great combination of music. As you know, once you foray into the world that you briefly describe above you can easily get trapped in a whirlwind of stunning music...like Miles' "In a Silent Way" complete recordings, working with Josef Zawinul and the embryonic parts of Weather Report. So when you start to chase all of the beautiful branches, twigs, abd fruit that spring and blossom from the root, you can find yourself in a veritable jungle of music where you machete through, note by note, revealing mysteries and challenges found in few, if any, other genre's. I immediately switched my IPOD to IN A SILENT WAY when I read your post, and although I have heard it 1000 times, it is still as fresh as a daisy.

Tell me that you own "Kind of Blue" by Miles. My daughter and I were laying around the other day giving it a critical listen, trying to seperate Cannonball from Coltrane during their respective solo's on "So What" the opening track and very possibly the most definitive example of modal jazz/birth of the cool sounds. Miles conducts what sounds, initially, to be a minimalist approach to jazz, when in fact, the subtle threads of each song are so packed with potential energy that it thrills. I always recommend "Kind of Blue" before "In a Silent Way" because IASW is such a challenging piece of music and doesn't possess the immediate accessibility as KOB.

Brubecks "Time Out" is 'time-less'. I love the people who refer to this as 'old music' or music my dad listened to. This IS music even MY DAD (now deceased) listened to when he was a hipster in the 50's and early 60's, and I was shakin' a rattle to the New Christy Minstrels and the Brothers Four. But it truly is timeless stuff.

Hey, if you like Herbie (and given that you dig theColtrane/Hartman sound), and knowing that he, like Miles has had some very up periods and some very strange periods, you can be very safe with his stunning CD called "Gershwin's World" And just in case Red Shoes is meandering through this thread, Joni does an incredible cameo on this record ("Summertime"). I heard it the first time and knew, instantly, that it would be considered a great. It was nominated and won the Grammy that year for best Jazz recording. Some question the need for little Stevie's soul (sole) vocal on the disc, but it works, because he didn't write the lyrics. He just interprets them, and the boy can sing.

I'm getting deeper into the jungle now, and I better work my way out. Check out Hancocks " Gershwins World" and I think you will find a wonderfully organized, yet free sounding compilation of music that at first sounds a little disjoint but with little effort it all comes seamlessly together.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

The Best of the Lemonheads: The Atlantic Years.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I am not a dimeadozener
Though now, thanks to your recommendation, somebody that is is looking into getting this recording copied for me, Hoarse.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Listened to McCartney's Chaos And Creation for the first time today. Apart from the lovely "Jenny Wren" and to a lesser extent "Riding To Vanity Fair", I don't understand how people can view it as any kind of return to form. Guess this will be my nominee for most overrated album of the year. I think that people want him to make a great record so badly that they tend to forgive more than they might from a lesser artist.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's the worry that I'd have exactly the same response that keeps me away from such things.

Arcade Fire doing New Order's magnificent Age of Consent. I got very excited when I read this fantastic band (how can you not love them, Blue, they're so much more interesting to listen to than almosst everything new that's out there?) were covering this fantastic song in Q and so consulted dimeadozen. Pretty straight cover, must be great to see it. The recent Word article makes them sound like a very exciting live prospect. Here's hoping for a UK tour not too far into '06.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more