Music Quiz Trivia

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Getting warm, but no (or at least, not according to any credit I know of!). The keyboard on ER is more stabs of organ, nothing subtle. It's probably Paul. the track in question contains piano work of greater prowess.

Don't want this one to get boring, but it is the weekend, so let's leave it a little longer to see if anyone gets it. Thought it would go sooner with all the Jam fans round here.

There is no credit to the specific track on the original vinyl LP, I have just discovered! There is a general credit to MT, though funnily enough to 'Merton Mick' only. That name links directly to the reason why he played on the track. The CD box set does, however, credit him specifically for one song, as do the extensive notes in the accompanying book.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Well I know that Merton Mick was on Setting Sons, and I can only remember one piano heavy song on that album. So would it be the old Vandella's song, Heatwave ?
Otis Westinghouse

Indeedski, Stormwarning (and it's always a pleasure to see you here), what a relief to not have to offer another clue! Regarding the reasons for this happening, to quote the aforementioned boxed set book:

June 19 1979: Rick Buckler sits in during a Ronnie Scott's gig by mod revival band the Merton Parkas. Buckler drums on In The Midnight Hour and the band's organist Mick Talbot returns the favour by playing on a cover of Martha & the Vandella's Heat Wave on The Jam's next LP (the song was also recorded by The Who).

Your turn, our man in Tokyo.

Scoreboard to follow!
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Yer man in Tokyo is going to start with an easy one. What is the only song to have been recorded and released by both Elvis Costello and David Bowie ?
Otis Westinghouse

That should have been very easy for me, but I had to think a while (wondering did EC ever record anything off Pin Ups, etc.), then I got it: God Only Knows. Bowie on Tonight (one of three Bowie LPs I don't own), and Costello on A Case For Song, which I guess counts as much as an album for being released.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I knew Bowie had covered that! Been reading about him lately.

So Otis has to come along just before me... Go on, where's your question?
Otis Westinghouse

I have a slight anxiety that Storm is after a costello studio recording. I'd better wait for him to confirm...
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Otis is bang on the button with that one. Next question please...
Otis Westinghouse

Oh luvverly. Can't resist one in a similar vein: Bowie and Costello have both recorded different songs with the same name. Bowie's is an original. Costello's is a cover. Name that song title. Little hint: Bowie has also recorded a song by the artist who wrote the song Costello covered.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's Days from Bowie's Reality, and EC's Kojak Variety. You can update my points now, all two of them.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sun May 30, 2004 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

beaten by mere seconds
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Well, since it's so conclusive, now I have to think of a question.

What Otis Redding song was released after his death?
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sun May 30, 2004 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed that is handsomely correct. Actually, I was just about to amend my question, as I realised there was an error in the hint. I said 'a song', when in fact there are two. I can't offer an extra point, but I will leave it to Storm to tell us what those two are.

I'll be back shortly to update the scoreboaard. I've already done the tally of who gets what (for the last 15 questions!), I just need to have some lunch before posting the list!

PS Storm, thanks for Alan Smith, though commiserations for the season.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I might not be back too soon so if somebody else can verify that a given answer is correct go ahead. BTW, it was an Otis Redding recording; I don't know whether he wrote it or not.
Otis Westinghouse

No idea, but let's have a look at the old scoreboard (updated from page 26!):

martinfoyle 10
cosmos 6
Gillibeanz 6
Blue Chair 5
DrJ 5
MikeBoom 5
Tim(e) 5
Pophead2k 4
Otis Westinghouse 3
PlaythingOrPet 3
Bambooneedle 2
El Vez 2
Norman Brain 2
RedShoes 2
Selfmademug 2
so lack 2
spooky girlfriend 2
BWAP 1
Goody2shoes 1
Poppet 1
J Doofster 1
oily slick 1
Stormwarning 1
Everyone else 0
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

In a bid to get myself out of the relegation zone, which is more than my beloved Leeds managed to do, I'll chip in with Otis' very own (and that's Otis R, not Otis W) Sitting On the Dock of The Bay, which was released a year after his death.

Continuing with the soul theme, Sam Moore and Dave Prater - better known as Sam & Dave, never spoke to each other off-stage. Why ?

And for Otis W - Pin-Ups' Where Have All the Good Times Gone and Reality's bonus of Waterloo Sunset gets me no points at all ?
Otis Westinghouse

'Fraid not, especially as that would make you equal with me. I downloaded the Waterloo Sunset cover the other day (I'm buggered if I'm going to shell out another £12 for Reality for that!), and didn't care for the arrangements. Annoying keyboards. Sings it well, though.

Should have had a guess at Dock of the Bay. Didn't know that.

No idea, yet once more, about S & D. One of them went off with the other's wife?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

stormwarning wrote: Continuing with the soul theme, Sam Moore and Dave Prater - better known as Sam & Dave, never spoke to each other off-stage. Why ?

It was because they both wanted to sleep with Rick Wakeman.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

>> It was because they both wanted to sleep with Rick Wakeman.
Close but not quite close enough (well not for Rick anyway).

Otis, you're on the right track when you mention wives, but still quite far from the truth.
Otis Westinghouse

Damn, I'm sure I've heard this. Their wives hated each other and had such a feud, they refused to let them be friends? Both were after the same woman and the one who was unsuccessful never forgave the one who was?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

er, nope.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Sam supported Leeds & Dave supported ManU?
signed with love and vicious kisses
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Damn, I'm sure I've heard this. Their wives hated each other and had such a feud, they refused to let them be friends? Both were after the same woman and the one who was unsuccessful never forgave the one who was?
S&D's wives were after the same woman? This thread just keeps on getting more interesting.
Otis Westinghouse

It's probably the right answer! Especially given your trivia prowess.

Actually the question mark prior to 'Both' makes clear that the 'both' refers to Sam and Dave and the second question is equivalent with the first one in its wild and desperate attempt to take me from trivia oblivia to the World Series of triv.

Where's the USA today and why don't they know the answer?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Still not close, so I'll give you another clue. Think about domestic violence and handguns, and you'll be on the right track.