Mrs Costello

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Gillibeanz

Mrs Costello

Post by Gillibeanz »

I saw Diana Krall on Michael Parkinsons show last night. She looked as miserable as hell - didnt smile once just grimmaced a few times and the song she sung was awful. I havn't heard much of her but from what I saw im not sorry! :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Gillibeanz-I agree as a moderate jazz fan I've endured enough Krall to weep profusely. Her 'Girl In The Other Room' (she SO didn't write the lyrics) is painful 'Almost Blue' is a capitol crime to be hanged for. Yet she seems something of a 'sacred cow' in certain circles. I've heard an interview and read a few, she is self-congratulatory and dim as a 4watt bulb. It would be nice if she bathed more often. . .Otherwise I have no opinion. 8) :twisted:
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hmmm, the boys are saying 'yay', but the girls say 'nay'. Interesting.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Otis Westinghouse-I've given up on what men like and understanding it. She seems to get some quite worked up, yet I think it's very little about her intellect or music and more about see-through clothing. :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

I'm sitting on the fence on this myself. I must have missed the see through clothing.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I think Diana Krall is being wrongly placed.

She obviously isn't the type of artist to succeed through skin.

She seems like she takes music, writing, and singing very seriously.

I don't like when Canadians are pidgeon-holded for American B.S.

(that last part was meant to be humorous)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, Diana Krall is hardly a 'pop idol.' She mostly caters to the adult contemporary/soft rock/jazz crowd. Most of the people I know who enjoy her music are married and immaterial, male and female. I think it just so happens that a few people on this board have a crush on her. But don't take that as a fair sampling of her fanbase. :D

She is not going to be appearing in Maxim or Stuff magazine anytime soon, either. And I'm not sure I've ever seen her wearing revealing clothing.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I'm not calling her Brittany Spears. Her singing is a serious matter-I agree with that. She's worn clothing that perhaps aren't risque by your standards but I haven't seen loads of pictures and I think she's half naked in some. I'm not saying that her looks got her where she is today-I doubt that. I never would dream that she'd be in those magazines but as a jazz fan and lover of a lot of songwriters she's slaughtered-she's icky. Emotionless and deliberate pacing drive me crazy and her phasing is way off. In the end it's a matter of taste and she's simply not to my liking. It just can be annoying when you can't see the value in something people rave about. I've tried to like her really I have but I've surrendered to my dislike. It's okay to not like her I gave her false merit because of her husband and people I respect seemed keen on her. Only venting. . .
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ms. Jolis,

I agree with you as far as her music goes. I have always found it to be bland and without much emotion or spirit involved. No matter how much she may love the music that she is performing, she does not sell me at all. Now, I haven't heard the new album, so maybe it is a huge revelation and turning point for Krall. But I also refuse to buy a record or listen to an artist who is substandard simply because of who they are married to. But I've said that way too many times already. :D

With that said, I can understand why she would do it for some people. I prefer Norah Jones.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Norah Jones I completely understand. Exquisite.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Ummmm....strong views. I have only ever heard Krall once (peel me a grape). She doesn't light my candle physically (and I would absolutely NEVER buy a record on the basis of looks..........I doubt many here would), but I heard some rave reviews about the new album and thought I'd give it a go. Had second thoughts for a while, but I am now strangely intruiged. After all, everyone on this board seems to hate FTS and I quite like bits of it.

I wouldn't buy her record because she is married to EC. However, I don't think its unreasonable at all to buy the record because EC is involved with it and co-wrote some of the songs.....isn't that what being a fan is all about ?
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

I agree, and am interested in Departure Bay as a continuation of the Joni Canadian singer-songwriter legacy. Isn't Norah Jones just cotton wool for the ears?
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

:lol: WOW is all I can say about this.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I agree, and am interested in Departure Bay as a continuation of the Joni Canadian singer-songwriter legacy. Isn't Norah Jones just cotton wool for the ears?
Krall has a long way to go before she can even be compared to Joni Mitchell. She doesn't even fit into the singer-songwriter category. She's barely written anything on her own, mostly relying on cover tunes.

As for Norah Jones, she may be young, but she's talented, capable of writing, performing, and singing with a lot more heart and soul than Krall. She also doesn't need her husband to introduce her to interesting artists to cover (i.e. Krall would have never covered Mose Allison, Tom Waits, or Elvis if it weren't for Elvis; Jones decided to skillfully cover Waits, Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, etc. on her own). Oh, and it was Waits who suggested to Jones that she cover his song. So there you have it.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Haven't heard the DK album yet, so I have no opinion. I'd probably buy it because of EC's contributions (as I bought Wendy James and Ute Lemper's CDs).

RE: Norah Jones. I enjoy her music, but she hasn't written many of her own tunes and there's a good chance management steered her towards those cool covers. I haven't heard anything yet to reveal she has her own exquisite musical taste.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Any interview will show you that Jones knows exactly what she is doing.

Exhibit A: Even Tom Waits sent Jones a couple of songs for consideration. Jones was not aware of this fact when she met Waits backstage at a Tibet benefit concert. "He was like, 'Did you get the songs I sent you?' " Jones recalls. "I was like, 'Uh, no. Why would you send me songs? You're Tom Waits.' " For the new album, Jones eventually recorded a pretty hobo ballad by Waits called "The Long Way Home." - Rolling Stone

Exhibit B: TMR: Who were some of your influences growing up?

Jones: I listened to a lot of Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, Stevie Wonder. I love Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Joni Mitchell, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, John Coltrane. I can't be asked that question without trying to put in everybody because they really do mean that much to me. You don't want to leave anybody out! - CNN
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

This isn't Jones vs. Krall!!! That some people bought Norah Jones without Elvis influence says enough-I need say no more. Even as a millionaire I would not have enough disposable income to buy a Diana Krall record.

Burnished Gold-I know my opinion is niether here nor there to you, still forgive me. You have such a marvelous site dedicated to Diana Krall no matter how much I dislike her, you are a credit to her fan base. I won't ask you 'why' because no explanation will suffice. :wink:
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I certainly wasn't trying to turn it into a Jones v. Krall. Jones is still a newbie to the industry (although one who undeniably made a big splash) and Krall is an established artist in her genre. I will tell you what I really dig about BOTH of them though: they eschew histrionics in their singing and go for a more natural (and lower) vibe. And while both of them are lovely ladies, I don't think either of them can hang their accomplishments on their looks alone. When you sell as many albums as they do in their respective fields, you aren't just selling them to drooling boys or teenage wannabes. And while I certainly respect lapinsjolis' negative feelings toward DK (she is clearly a highly knowledgable person regarding quality music) I stand by my point that I would buy her CD because of Elvis' involvement, regardless of whether or not she was his wife.

Blue, I'll stand corrected on the assertion that NJ might not be totally behind her song choices, but she still hasn't written enough songs for me to qualify her as other than an interpreter of other people's music (not that there's anything wrong with that: see Sinatra, Presley, Cline, et al)
Otis Westinghouse

A lot of the early marketing of NJ focussed on her famous dad, so there. I can't understand why you would put on her music other than to cure insomnia.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:A lot of the early marketing of NJ focussed on her famous dad, so there. I can't understand why you would put on her music other than to cure insomnia.
Having taken notice of Norah Jones immediately upon her first release and following the press I can tell you flat-out that that is not true. I only discovered several months later that her father was Ravi Shankar. She was very careful in keeping that information secret because a) he had no role in raising her, and b) she didn't want the name associated with her.

Sure, it's mellow, dreamy music. But so is a lot of music. And it's most definitely more exciting/interesting than anything Krall could ever put out.

If it's good enough for Tom Waits, it's good enough for me. But the whole point is that all it took for me was hearing her cover of Dylan's "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight", performed live on a public radio station before she was famous.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Bluechair-I confess Ravi plays a major role in all of my musical choices but strangely not in Ms. Jones case. Mr. Misery told me about her well before the media.
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

lapinsjolis wrote: Burnished Gold-I know my opinion is niether here nor there to you, still forgive me. You have such a marvelous site dedicated to Diana Krall no matter how much I dislike her, you are a credit to her fan base. I won't ask you 'why' because no explanation will suffice. :wink:
Glad we agree to disagree. 8)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

BlueChair wrote:Any interview will show you that Jones knows exactly what she is doing.

Exhibit A: Even Tom Waits sent Jones a couple of songs for consideration. Jones was not aware of this fact when she met Waits backstage at a Tibet benefit concert. "He was like, 'Did you get the songs I sent you?' " Jones recalls. "I was like, 'Uh, no. Why would you send me songs? You're Tom Waits.' " For the new album, Jones eventually recorded a pretty hobo ballad by Waits called "The Long Way Home." - Rolling Stone

Exhibit B: TMR: Who were some of your influences growing up?

Jones: I listened to a lot of Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, Stevie Wonder. I love Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Joni Mitchell, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, John Coltrane. I can't be asked that question without trying to put in everybody because they really do mean that much to me. You don't want to leave anybody out! - CNN

I recall Ronan Keating telling everyone that he really loved the music of Phil Lynott and Christy Moore :lol:

Ps. I quite like a little NJ every now and then....just making a wee point. :D
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

BlueChair wrote:Having taken notice of Norah Jones immediately upon her first release and following the press I can tell you flat-out that that is not true. I only discovered several months later that her father was Ravi Shankar
Weren't you in England at the time? All the early references to her I read here referred to the famous parentage, as per Jeff Buckley. The different surname made no difference, and both shared the absence of the father in their upbringing.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I was in England when she won all the Grammy Awards, so I know that by that time (particularly in the UK) that information was all over the place. However, she was around for a good 8 or so months before I went to England.