About our wonderful selves - answer a question and ask one

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

No, rudeness comes in all sizes equally, unfortunately.

What was the last cd you listened to with very high expectations, only to be terribly disappointed?
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

El Vez wrote:
bambooneedle wrote: Are shy people just stupid or what?
I'm shy, Bamboo.
I know shy people aren't necessarily stupid. Somebody said "shy people are just stupid" at work yesterday, and it made me laugh because, from his own perspective, he was right. I was hoping somebody would say something about the misconception. A degree of reserve will be confused with timidity, but nobody has to make themselves available just because it's on demand -- I probably first learnt this when my friend Ming and I were put into school from kindergarten without knowing a word of english. Over a few months we picked it up pretty unselfconsciously at that age. We were so used to clamming up and absorbing that it must have provided us with great concentration. We'd try stuff out to each other at lunch time. He usually had a spare sardine sandwich but I digress. Even when our english was about as good as the other kids we would generally keep quiet and be assumed to be "shy", ie. stupid, so we'd often surprise when we opened our mouths. Actually, as 'wog' kids, we weren't really allowed much say anyway.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

In my experience the more obviously stupid ones are those who can't keep their mouths shut! But really there is no correlation between shy/outgoing and smart/stupid, in any direction
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm shy and stupid. I should have kept my mouth shut about that shouldn't I? :lol:

Sorry, what was the question?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

What was the last cd you listened to with very high expectations, only to be terribly disappointed?
Says he's a people fan
verbal gymnastics

I was initially holding high expectations for North - as I do for any EC album. It took me many listenings to get into it but I finally got there. Most EC albums only take a couple of listenings but this took me a long time.

Good question cosmos.

On the subject of cosmos (who shouldn't answer this), what should be the first ever song he plays on cosmosis? And why?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Very good question, VG!!!

And yes, unless a flaming pie appears out of the sky, the show will likely be called Cosmosis!

You will get props at the end of every show!!
Says he's a people fan
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

mood swung wrote:are you ready for the Brood X invasion?
I thought I was, until I found this site:
http://www.cicadaville.com/

I think the first song cosmos should play is Yo La Tengo's "Night Falls on Hoboken," because it's very soothing (to calm his nerves) and very long (he can relax a little).

Have you ever been to Montreal? What did you think?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've been to Montreal a few times, though not in several years despite having a friend there. What a wonderful city! Not only are most people who live there 100% bilingual, but it's simply a cool city. Very European. Lots of interesting, old areas. Their jazz festival is fantastic, as is the Just For Laughs comedy festival. Lots of great restaurants.

My sister has been accepted to McGill University's education program come September, so I hope to make further visits out there.

What are your thoughts on gummies (you know, the candies.. some sour, some sweet, all gummy)?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Ahhh, I will definitely look into that one, MBA. If nothing else, it'll be added to the request list for sure.

By the way, do I really seem that stressed out? :shock:
Says he's a people fan
miss buenos aires

No, but I would be stressed out my first day at the helm of a radio station!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Is the question about gummies? I think so. Vile little things, in all incarnations. Rubbery, chewy, cloyingly sweet and nasty. They come in cute shapes, though. The only candy worth the calories is chocolate, imo.

Best concert you've been to, or have we already done that?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

verbal gymnastics wrote: On the subject of cosmos (who shouldn't answer this), what should be the first ever song he plays on cosmosis? And why?

"Video Killed the Radio Star"? Irony?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Goody2Shoes wrote: Best concert you've been to, or have we already done that?
Bob Dylan & Joni Mitchell -November 1998, Atlanta, GA. A lot of people on this board have anything but visions of hosannas when it comes to Bob but he put on the most amazing live performance I have ever seen that night in Hot'lanta. It was his last show before taking a two-to-three month break and he went out leading aerobics for the over 50 set. The performances were both heartrending and insanely energetic with Blind Willie McTell standing out as well as several incendiary harmonica solos. I don't mean to slight Joni because she gave a sterling performance as well but on this night I was the biggest Dylan fan in the world and he did not disappoint.

If someone were to name a drink in honor of your most recent ex, what would that drink be called?
verbal gymnastics

Bitch Fizz

I should say that my most recent ex is many years ago now.

Who is the rudest celebrity you have ever met/encountered?
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Mark Mosley. He was a kicker for the Washington Redskins when they won the Super Bowl in 1982. What a jackass.

How many actual fist fights have you been involved in during your life ?
miss buenos aires

Just the one. Her name was China Davis, and boy, she did not like me one bit. Even less after I "won" (by scratching up her face and running away) and then didn't get in trouble (because I was a straight-A student, and she was always getting into fights). Ah, high school...

How many people do you have to buy birthday presents for this month?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Just the one - my partners sister. Although next month I have tons - all 3 of my kids and my sister. It used to be more than that - get a load of this

23rd july - my nans (now deceased)
24th July - my daughters
25th july my sons
26th July - my grandads (now deceased)
27th July - my sisters

We used to call it 'stoney broke' month!! :lol:

We also have a big celebration up and coming on the 12th - it's my dear old mum and dads golden wedding anniversary. They are having a party and renewing their wedding vows in the same church they were married in 50 years ago! I know I will be bawling my eyes out as they stand there - not many couples reach that these days and still adore each other do they?

Which relative do you dislike the most and why?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Does stepmother count? She really is kind of an evil stepmother...doesn't talk to me when I visit my dad, regardless of how friendly I am to her. She's rude to Blue too. At least she makes my dad happy. Or at least he says she does.....

What's in the best sandwich ever?
miss buenos aires

Me, Jarvis Cocker, and Jude Law. Mmm...

What is your least favorite topic of conversation?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Money. It's vulgar if it's with anyone other than your accountant.

What is your most favorite topic of conversation?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

kids (mine) and their sports. yes, I am a bore.

What's a good anniversary gift for my husband?

(I know I'm going to regret asking, but after 22 years I'm running out of ideas.)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Moody - he would probably be happy with some beer and a day where you didn't talk about Elvis. :wink: Or maybe if you promised never to drag him to another Elvis concert at the Ryman again. Or maybe if you spent a day listening to some Skynard with him while he drank beer. Something like that, you know? :)

As for real gifts, I'm not sure. Got an anniversary of my own coming up next month. I don't think I can ever top the anniversary that year where I was in the car wreck and the nurses at the hospital wondered why I wasn't wearing any underwear . . . . .

Anybody else got any ideas for Moody?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

What about a new workbench or some power tools, would he like that?

Can you describe your favourite piece of furniture?
verbal gymnastics

RedShoes wrote:What's in the best sandwich ever?
miss buenos aires wrote:Me, Jarvis Cocker, and Jude Law. Mmm...
Whatever do you mean? :shock:

And Spooky - just a little bit too much information on the underwear front (or lack of) I think...

...especially as I'm trying to eat my apple. :)