Hey, you "Drummer" folk!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Hey, you "Drummer" folk!!

Post by sulkygirl »

Stumbled across an interesting item today...excuse my terminology, but what exactly do I have??

"Parade" type snare drum, 16" in diameter, 12" deep, dual "heads"...

One side is a Slingerland "BatterHead", the other a Weather King "Heavy Duty Emporer Snare" (with one pencil diameter puncture)...

Missing one of 10 "tensioners"???

Shell has original tension studs, that read "Ludwig-Chicago".

Bad paint job (blue shell, yellow trim on both heads).

Supposedly, guy sold it on E-bay, brought it in to be packed, never recieved the promised check, abandoned the item.

Opinions, please!!
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Not quite sure how this guy abandoning the item means it comes to be yours, but anyway, you have got a marching band snare drum, it would appear. It's wider than a normal drum-kit snare, that would be 13-14", and double the depth, or even more (I think 3.5-6.5" would be the standard range of depth). The skins, or heads, are good, reputable makes. The small hole in the bottom side won't be a problem. the missing screw for tightening the head is bad news, it means you can't tune it properly. I assume it's on the bottom not the top, if it's on the top head, replace with one from the bottom. you can't play a skin properly which has an untightened tensioner. Bad paint job sounds a pity, that must have been a previous owner's marching band colours.

So are you all set to be a drum majorette, Sulky?
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Well, here's how it works...

I work for a small "pack & ship" store...people bring things in, and we carefully pack them for shipping.

At any rate, the guy sold it on e-bay for $200 dollars (or so he claimed)...then, the person who bought it failed to send him the check. Rather than be bothered with the whole mess, he told my boss she could keep it. She didn't want it, was going to toss it in the dumpster, asked me if I could find something to do with it (I was considering re-painting the shell & turning it into a planter, but my husband took possesion as soon as he saw it, although what he'll do with it is anyone's guess). Anyway, I remembered we had some "afficianados" here on the board, and curiousity got the best of me (along with several beers).

Thanks, Otis!!
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."