Covers I like as well as the original

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Poppet- Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente! is great but since I've never really liked New Order I can't say it's just as good but better. I'm glad to see a Frente! fan on the board. Sorry to any New Order fans on the board but please keep them away from Johnny Marr.

Goodytwoshoes-I love Spiderman from the Ramones. It is more mellow than the urgent theme song but never thought of it as a lullaby! "Remember smilers never lose and frowners never win." :wink:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Does Elvis' "You Belong to Me" count as a cover..? It sounds a lot like Last Time, by the Stones.

Anybody else notice that the guitar part on "20% Amnisia" is exactly the same as "I'm in Love With Her and I Feel Fine"???

*I can't be the only one*
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Cope,

You're opening up a subject worthy of a thread of it's own - EC's musical quotes/ borrowings/ steals from other records.

Two obvious keyboard steals are Temptation (Time is Tight) and Poor Fractured Atlas (Moonlight Sonata (?) or Past, Present & Future).

I know there are numerous other examples.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i don't know if Dragnet by the Art of Noise counts, but it kills me.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I *love* Jose F's LIGHT MY FIRE-- good one!!

This probably won't win me any fans, but I always liked epeche Mode's cover of ROUTE 66. And all those Art of Noise ones are good-- KISS with Tom Jones, DRAGNET, and (I put this on the Tower!) PETER GUNN (w/Duane Eddy). TMBG do very fun cover versions as well.

My fave Ramones cover is SURFIN' BIRD.

In the more serious category, MY FUNNY VALENTINE is more of a standard than a cover, but have you heard Ricki Lee Jones's version? Heartbreaking. Will take it over Elvis's (very very good) version any day of the week. Hmmm.. will have to think of others, cause I've got loads...
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

lapinsjolis wrote:I love Spiderman from the Ramones. It is more mellow than the urgent theme song but never thought of it as a lullaby! :
We never did either, but it had a definite soporofic effect on a baby who screamed 18 hours a day. The Ramones and Spiderman were our hereos. Nearly 8 years later, it still works on her.

And yeah, Mug, I totally agree about Rickie Lee Jones 'My Funny Valentine'. Tears me up inside.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

lapinsjolis wrote:Poppet- Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente! is great but since I've never really liked New Order I can't say it's just as good but better. I'm glad to see a Frente! fan on the board. Sorry to any New Order fans on the board but please keep them away from Johnny Marr.
Who are Frente!? They must be OK if they cover the mighty New Order, one of my favourite bands. And BLT (the song not the sandwich) is one of my favourites of theirs. Can't believe it's better than the original.

LJ: explain your Johnny Marr quote. There's the long-standing Electronic collaboration between Marr and Bernard Sumner of NO, but what are you referring to here?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Frente! is a nice little band from Australia. I do like their version better but you I can guess would not. 'Electronic' is the only explanation I can give and it doesn't seem sufficient for you. It was after the Smiths broke up and such a disappointment. I do have a New Order trauma stemming from the summer of my 14th year too tiresome to go into, so I've never really cottoned to them. You'll have to love them enough for the both of us. In atonement for you I'll always 'get down on my knees and pray.'

I'm with you Mug on the standard angle (how cute is your son allowed to be?!?) as they come from song writers rather than artists. Still my favorite 'These Foolish Things'-Mel Torme'.

Pophead2k-I love that rendition of Mary Tyler Moore theme! Thank you for bringing it to mind.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

joan jett does a good rendition of the mary tyler moore show song also.

apologies to blue chair.

on the subject of cover songs me first and the gimie gimmies put out a new album today. all r&b songs. if i had money i'd get it.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Electronic aren't New Order, hence my Confusion, Confusion.