books, books, books

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Richard: you can imagine from my Pynchonic celebrations above and my Joy Divisional ones elsewhere how large a smile your parallel between the two things brings to my face!

I don't know if you have/know of the collection of Pynchon's early short stories Slow Learner. I was thrilled on my recent visit to the Pompidou centre in Paris to see the original Magritte feet turning into boots painting that was used on the cover (here, at least).

I'm terrified of embarking on Underworld. That's 12 months for me! I am going to start reading more and quicker, though, honest. The baseball scene was very celebrated on publication here and I did take a good look at it when I got the book, looks awesome.

Haven't read Chabon, but clearly must. The closest I've been was the splendid film of Wonder Boys. Would witnesses of both say it's a good version of it?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

The best book I've read this summer (and in awhile actually) is called STIFF, the curious lives of human cadavers.

I can't say enough about it really. It's gross and funny and interesting and terribly informative. Donate yourself to science and find out what will happen to you! :? :D
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

so lack resurrected this once before Black Friday (or was it saturday????). time for the defibrillator.

currently reading The Hitchhiker's Trilogy again. just finished Breakfast of Champions for the 400th time, but it's been a few years and it just seemed so right right now. also still plugging away at Ulysses. I may have it done by this time next year.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just finishing up Fast Food Nation.

As much as I liked the film Super Size Me, Fast Food Nation is much more effective at wanting me to avoid McDonalds for the rest of my life.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Revisiting a couple of fantasy tales by George MacDonald - "Phantastes" and "Lilith".

If you like fantasy I cannot recommend these highly enough... MacDonald is credited as the writer who influenced both Lewis Carrol and CS Lewis.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm currently reading Dylan's "Chronicles: Part I". Really wonderful stuff.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I just might have to keep that "Avatar Lost in Crash" graphic. LOL.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Finished Leigh Montville's biography of Ted Williams last weekend. Great stuff on a par with Richard Ben Cramer's DiMaggio book. Despite being a deeply flawed person, Ted fares quite a bit better than Joe D did.

I just started "The Prince of Providence". This one is all about Buddy Cianci; the rebirth of a city and corruption as tradition and entertainment. Fascinating stuff.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Have just read Harry Potter 5 in 3 days. One of the weakest which still means terribly entertaining and time-comsuming though :D
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

VonOfterdingen wrote:Have just read Harry Potter 5 in 3 days. One of the weakest which still means terribly entertaining and time-comsuming though :D
I love those Harry Potter books - just finished reading the Chamber of Secrets to my daughter. The movies have been terrific too, though I have yet to see the third one.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

You're in for treat then. The third movie is so much better than the first two. As for the books i'm most envy that your family still got 'Goblet of fire' waiting.

A quick rank:
1. Goblet of fire
2. Chamber of secrets
3. Prisoner of Azkaban / Order of the Phoenix
4. The philosophers stone
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Has anyone else read The Plot Against America? It's very good, though I find Philip Roth's writing a little tough to get into at times.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I was just given Catch 22 by Joseph Heller as a present.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I bought THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF CAVALIER AND CLAY in July (!) and still haven't cracked it, and am dying to. The problem is, I am so addicted to watching DVDs-- something I could never do in my previous life-- it eats up all my reading time. I'm totally engrossed in watching the Grenada series CRACKER. But when that's done (6 more episodes) I am determined to get to the Chabon book.

Until then it's three nights a week of reading Harry Potter aloud to my son, and that's it for me and literature!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just started The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster.

I loved his New York Trilogy, and so far this is great too.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

bambooneedle wrote:I was just given Catch 22 by Joseph Heller as a present.
Good taste in books whoever gave it to you. Might be among my top 5 books
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

VonOfterdingen, I've heard great things about its humour and irreverence, and am really looking forward to it. It should take me about a week or less.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Backbooking Hiaasen, now on Strip Tease.

I loved Catch 22 when I first read it 20/25 years ago but when I re-read it a couple of years ago it didn't seem to be quite so good. I have learnt a lesson from this, don't re-read books that you loved 20/25 years ago!
signed with love and vicious kisses
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's alright, I don't think I'll be rereading Huckleberry Finn in a hurry.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I hope you will like it, bambooneedle. It's humour is really sharp and when it wants to be horrible it's really horrible
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I like horrible things sometimes.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Finished 'The Da Vinci Code' last night. I don't read many crime books like this but because of the fuzz and the upcoming film I thought it would give it a go. It's not bad, the first 250 pages are quite good but then it's downhill from there.
Most of all i find the historical facts about buildings and the storyline interesting while the writing is close to bad. The characters are also extremly one-dimensional and Harry Potter seems like a Raskolnikov when compared. Nevertheless it was fun reading it although my relationship with Dan Brown ends here.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I just finished the Cold 5 Thousand by James Elroy....quite a good book. In the begining, the idiom will drive you nuts, but as one digs into the book, then it is almost amazing how cool Elroy uses stacto phrases and 50's style vernacular in written form to paint a picture and create a realistic atmosphere. The story is not bad either. I love how he mixes in historical figures and hangs them out to dry and destroys their historical credibility in the way he does. How does he get away with it??! Maybe because they're all dead :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Currently reading Hawthorne's The House of the Seven Gables, and realizing that it sort of does and sort of doesn't make a difference that I have only the vaguest idea of what a gable is (something on a house). I love the floridity (word?) of the 19th century.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Here you can see 3 of the 7: