books, books, books

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just finished the Nick Hornby book, which I enjoyed. I am also reading The Pythons autobiography by The Pythons, and am about to choose something from my pile of unreads.
signed with love and vicious kisses
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

pip: welcome to the wonderfully drunk and bitter world of bukowski. run with the hunted is a great overview of his work.

just finished a confederacy of dunces. the book somehow managed to be hilarious and quite deep at the same time. a rarity. i'm just now starting the great shark hunt by hunter s thompson. it took me well over a year to read the proud highway but shark hunt is more cohesive.

has anybody heard about benicio del toro directing the rum diary? supposedly johnny depp will be playing the young hunter from the book.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just read the play M. Butterfly by David Henry Hwang for my English Drama class. While I had my reservations going into it, I ended up enjoying it quite a lot. Once again, it was interesting to take a look at the original cast list at the beginning of the text. Apparently John Lithgow was the original Rene Gallimard, and B.D. Wong was the original Song Liling. I had the voice of Dick Solomon in my head the entire time reading the text, as a French soldier no less!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Halfway through Little Dorrit by C. Dickens. Not enjoying it as much as Bleak House or Hard Times.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Just read Margaret Atwood's latest, Oryx & Crake. It was okay, but just okay. Not as good as Alias Grace, The Blind Assassin, or The Handmaid's Tale. No real feel for the characters.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

My Movie Business, a memoir by John Irving. only halfway thru, it's mostly about cider house and it's reasonably interesting.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

C-Punk - I really dug Bukowski. I dont know why Ive never read any of his stuff before that. I also bought Notes of a Dirty Old Man which I hope to read soon, as well as Hunter S. Thompson's Generation of Swine. Ive not read any of his stuff either, but I keep meaning to . . .
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Now reading the tenth in the Discworld series - Moving Pictures.
miss buenos aires

Just finished The Catcher in the Rye. (I was reading it to see if I could understand my boyfriend better, and then we broke up before I finished--Alanis Morrissette would probably call that ironic, even though it isn't.) It's hard to read, because you have to keep reminding yourself that it is the original, and everything else you've read written in the exact same style is just a copy. It's still a good book, I just wish I'd read it when I was fourteen.

That's the thing about literature (digression); the further back you go, the more you realize that everything you thought was original wasn't at all, stylistically. I'm starting on Don Quixote, and the introduction claims that it contains more or less every narrative style ever used since. I salivate.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

<i>Catcher in the Rye</i> is one of my all time favourite books. Nothing too much more to contribute there, I just love whenever I see it mentioned. :lol:

I need to read it again....it's been too long. So MBA, even post-breakup, did it help you understand your ex better at all?

Let us know how <i>Don Quixote</i> is...I've always wanted to read that but have never managed to actually sit down and do it.
Clover

Catch her in the wry

Post by Clover »

MBA does your ex-boyfriend happen to be Mark David Chapman??
miss buenos aires

Holy shit, Clover, how did you know?! Actually, he's a very good guy, not psychopathic or anything, we just didn't understand each other. Literally; a word would mean one thing to me and something completely different to him. Reading Catcher in the Rye didn't really help; it just got me extremely annoyed with Holden Caulfield. "You'd better not be like this in your thirties!" I wanted to shout.
Clover

verbal disparity

Post by Clover »

You said tomayto and he said tomahto.
You said potayto and he said potahto.
So you called the whole thing off?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Is no one reading anymore? I got a copy of Songbook by Nick Hornby as a gift. Now that I'm done school it's nice being able to read for pleasure more. It's a fun read so far.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm reading the third Harry Potter book. New rule instituted at home: you must read the book first before you see the movie. This is tough on the 6 y.o. 8)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Finished up Tishomingo Blues by Elmore Leonard the other day...not bad, decent...found it on the 'bargain books' pile for 4 bucks so figured what the hell.

Now I'm reading Gertrude and Claudius by John Updike, it's kind of a prelude to Hamlet and is very intriguing so far.

Also just now realized it's about time for me to re-re-re-re-read Of Mice and Men, I used to read it a couple times a year, but that's partially due to me recognizing the 'Lenny' in me.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Jimmy Greaves - Greavsie

Nostalgia is all we have left these days :cry:
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I just finished High Fidelity(nick hornby), and How to Be Good(nick hornby).

I'm in the middle of both "Perks Of Being A Wallflower"(stephen chbosky) and "The Rules Of Attraction" right now.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

shatterproof wrote:
wehitandrun wrote:I just finished High Fidelity(nick hornby), and How to Be Good(nick hornby).
Those are great books! About a Boy is also good. But High Fidelity is by far my favorite. I think he also writes a lot about soccer.

--------------------
oh, why oh why am i on the web when i should be studying for my last exam!?
]

I really want to read "About A Boy"... I hear it's in 3rd person, sounds different for Hornby.

Yeah, "fever pitch" is about Soccer, never really picked it up though.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

In a bit of a "Seen the movie, now read the book" mood lately. I picked up Dennis Lehane's Mystic River and Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain. I've just started Cold Mountain and the damn thing is so beautifully observed and has such an attention to detail that it makes me feel like a perfectionist Civil War re-enactor just reading it.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Now reading A hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - A Trilogy in five parts. I read the first two books many moons ago but the others are new to me. Good stuff.
Last edited by so lacklustre on Fri May 07, 2004 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

That's what Im reading now too! Ive only ever read the first one so Im re-reading it now before I get to the others . . .
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

One of my teachers recommended and gave me a Hitchiker's guide book. I don't know what I did with it... I did read the first few chapters, though.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Get Your War On by David Rees. This is a collection of Rees' brilliant (and brilliantly profane) political cartoon strip. Rees is donating his royalties to a Mine Detection & Dog Center in western Afghanistan. Soft Skull Press, which publishes Get Your War On, is also donating an additional percentage of the book's sales to the same campaign.

Factotum by Charles Bukowski. He's my favorite writer and I should probably get serious about reading all of his work. He was very prolific so it might take awhile.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I finally got "The Big Wheel" - Bruce Thomas. I love his writing so far, despite its high level of jargon.

I'm on page 66! :)