THE DOG HAS HAD IT!

This is for all of your writings, songs, pictures or however else you feel like expressing yourself. Have at it!
A rope leash

THE DOG HAS HAD IT!

Post by A rope leash »

On my way through Arkansas this morning, I turned the dial on the radio in the slut Mercury, trying to find the NPR station, when I came across some Christians discussing world affairs. Apparently, even these guys think that the American media is a load of crap, and is essentially holding back actual facts in an effort to collaborate with the New World Order.

According to these folks, Syria and Jordan are next, because they are likely to be hiding Saddam's WMDs. Then we are going after Iran. Then, when Isreal gets back all of what God has promised the Jews, Jesus can come back to judge our souls. They think it's great, because their rightous asses are going straight up to heaven.

Well, that's one scenario. Another is that the good old USA will be policing the world forever more, all in a desperate attempt to keep us all in Nikes and knick-knacks. Our leaders trip to Africa was little more than a ploy to scope out possible sites for military bases, and the promised money to fight HIV and such comes with strings attached, namely that it be used to buy American pharmacueticals,and on the condition that the recipients go along with American endeavours, wherever they may be. This money is not being channeled through the UN, as would normally be the case.

I don't know. I work awfully hard. I'm not prepared for a never-ending escapade whereupon my country stomps it's way across the world protecting it's interests. I really thought the new century was our big chance to have peace in this world, but we're just flushing it down the shit-hole. I hate this. I can't stand this. I'm completely helpless to do anything about it. In fact, I am told frequently to accept it as "God's Will". I cannot.

Someday, perhaps soon, our young will become totally militarized, and killing will be easy for them. They will even kill their own, if told to do so, if told that certain "dissidents" are "enemy comabtants". There's a reason that young men fight wars. It's because older men can fill them full of bullshit God and Country myths and make them into killers. Older men can't be played that way. Trust me, if it were fifty-year-olds that had to go, it wouldn't be happening.

Now, you can say I'm full of shit, or that I'm wrong, but I have a right to feel this way, and a right to be free from tyranny, or at least I did, until the "Patriot Act" came along. When one considers the details surrounding 9-11, something stinks to high heaven. Yes, it was an awful attack, but it very well could have been avoided. I can't shake the impression that those in charge let it happen so that they would have an excuse to begin their fascist campaigns. Total control through belligerent nationalism is what they are after, all in the name of "you might hurt us if we don't stop you". Frankly, I'm still more frightened of Russia's nukes, or Isreal's, or Pakistan's, than I am of anything bin Laden might have.

According to a story I read on the web, Bush Jr got started in business though an investment from the bin Laden family. Did you know that? Did you know that George Sr. is getting rich from the wars through his Carlyle Group investments, and by proxy, so is George Jr? This sucks, and is completely unacceptable. Do you know how I know they are evil crooks? Because they'll spend 200 million to get elected to a job that pays only 200 thousand a year. Do you know how I know they are lying? Their lips are moving!

So, I don't know. All I want to do is live in peace an harmony with the world, but no. I'll have to put up with unreasonable stops and searches, unreasonable invasions of privacy, unreasonable prohibitions, and unreasonable judgements made upon me and my lifestyle by unreasonable people. Fuck this. This ain't America, the home of the free. It's Bushwanna, and we gotta do what Bush wannus to do, because God has given him his orders, all in the name of protecting us from a random attack by people who hate us with probable cause. Let's not forget, one of the worst bombings ever in the USA was conceived and carried out by right-wing extremists, and that was Oklahoma City. Those same types that were so against our own government back then are now riding this imperial war fury with all the gusto they can muster. It's bizarre, and it's going to bite us all in the ass.

So, I don't know. I feel like it's over for me. I don't want to live in a world like this. I don't wanna, I don't wanna, I don't wanna! Just leave me alone! I'm not a terrorist! I'm 97% certain that dead is dead, and once you are dead, you are dead! There is no reward for being a pious bully to be received upon your death! If we all lived like we only had this one life, there would be a whole lot less killing in this world, because we'd all be trying so hard to have a GOOD time, not a fucked-up time! Dammit people! I've had it!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 4mx3n.html
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Rope,

I don't think I'd go so far as to suggest that anyone in this administration let 9-11 happen to further their political goals. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that I see it as too big of a stretch.

But the real reason I feel compelled to respond is that the people you heard on the radio, while having their message broadcast to countless thousands--do not speak for me, nor for a majority of Christians I know. It is a fairly small (but very vocal) segment of the Christian community that sees the current state of world affairs as some sort of evidence of the second coming of Christ, or who root for war in the middle east because they think Jesus might come back faster.

I'm not saying there's a lack of that opinion out there, but those folks are kooks. Kooks with microphones. But kooks none-the-less. Just keep in mind and take some comfort from the fact that while there are 2 billion Christians in the world, only a relative handful don't think Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell are pricks. I for one find the whole situation deplorable, and I suspect God feels much the same way.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
A rope leash

Where was the Air Force?

Post by A rope leash »

Yes, I do understand that it isn't every Christian that is leading the cheering section for these wars. The Pope, for one, so then I would assume most Catholics oppose these actions. But, if some Christians are kooks, how do they get control of a radio station? Not just one station, either, but many. Where's the voice of Christians like you, Noise? Where's the voice of the forty million atheist-agnostics? Broadcast media is very influential. Just look at the way "Alison" beleives Justin Timberlake is a model musician.

I don't know, I'm just really brokenhearted over the whole thing, and maybe I just shouldn't care. No one that ever states a disbelief in God could ever get elected in this country, so maybe I'm just feeling oppressed and helpless. But, as it is usually the case, I don't want to hurt anyone over it, I simply want to take myself out. Of course, I'm too chicken for that, and anyway I don't have a gun or a garage.

So, you don't think they would let it happen to further their political goals? You are very trusting. Please read this, the goo of it is about half-way through...

http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... le4064.htm

The mainstream media should at least be checking this out, but journalists aren't quite what they used to be back in the good old days of Watergate.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"The mainstream media should at least be checking this out, but journalists aren't quite what they used to be back in the good old days of Watergate."

I don't think I'm being too trusting. Just cautiously optimistic that our leaders did not willfully accept the murder of thousands of innocent civilians to pick a fight in the middle east. It's not that I think they're above picking a fight and making up a reason to do it. It's just that they could have manufactured any number of reasons without going along with a slaughter of that magnitude. They justified the first Gulf War on the basis of Sadam invading Kuwait. They left out that we supplied everything he had militarily for a decade and that he informed us of his intentions ahead of time. Bush Sr. never said anything until there was an outcry. And then our ally Sadam became the new Hitler. It's not hard to make shit up. CLinton made up a weapons factory in Sudan so he could take some heat off of himself for getting a hummer in the Oval Office. Reagan and Thatcher made up a lot of shit between themeselves--over and over.

So while I don't trust my government much at all, I think they are very unlikely to have done what is suggested in that article.

The wackos on the radio are there because they have an agenda to push. Everyone on the radio, tv, etc. spouting any political or theological doctrine seeks out a venue. Wackos seek the hardest--thus the perception that there are more of them than there really are.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
A rope leash

The Crux of the Biscuit

Post by A rope leash »

So, in the end, why believe one entity over the other?

I'm really starting to think that ignorance is bliss, and that Eve shoulda never took that fruit from that tree....
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Yeah Rope. I'm a Christian too. That is I believe in Jesus as Christ, and that I should show God's Love to everyone. Turn the other cheek, love God, love your neighbor. God is Love.

I don't know how so many people call themselves Christians and ignore some of these key beliefs. They should call themselves something else.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
A rope leash

Choosing

Post by A rope leash »

It's the hypocrisy that has always turned me away from religion, and the contradictions. The "gospel" is often bent toward some goal that is not always completely moral, such as war, or bigotry, or just fund-raising.

If there was just one religion that everybody agreed on and strictly followed, I might tag along. As it is, I just couldn't commit to one without worrying about the validity of the other.

Such is life...the teachings of Jesus, for the most part, are very cool. Almost no one actually practices it, though.
A rope leash

Deny this!

Post by A rope leash »

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A rope leash wrote:It's the hypocrisy that has always turned me away from religion, and the contradictions. The "gospel" is often bent toward some goal that is not always completely moral, such as war, or bigotry, or just fund-raising.

If there was just one religion that everybody agreed on and strictly followed, I might tag along. As it is, I just couldn't commit to one without worrying about the validity of the other.

Such is life...the teachings of Jesus, for the most part, are very cool. Almost no one actually practices it, though.
"The whole theory of the universe is directed unerringly to one single individual -- namely to you" - Walt Whitman.

That's my attitude towards it all, so the historical facts of someone's life or theoretical concepts are ok but might fly out the window or pale in comparison to the very process of how a person feels, interpret things and acts now or at any one moment. I'm far more interested in how something might directly inform all the latter - give me useful insight into thought and action NOW, or at any moment. About the very processes of them and about what the who might be, or might be perceived to be, to experience them. Anything that is too dogmatic would be the antithesis of that, so when it comes to what JC or anything else is supposedly saying I try to read between the lines (didn't he speak in parables/metaphors anyway, was never too directly literal?). Nothing's black and white. And didacticness is only useful up to a point, like when you're a kid. Beyond that, it's all to be interpreted by the individual... (what else?). Moral concensus will never be found, and that's just fine. Rope, have you read anything on Zen or Tao philosophy? I've found what I've read on these particularly useful with regards to all of the above.
A rope leash

ZEN

Post by A rope leash »

No, but I've studied the Pha Kem philosophy...
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I subscribe to that philosophy as well, Rope. Pha Khem if they can't take a joke!

:wink:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."