EC records song with La Santa Cecilia

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC records song with La Santa Cecilia

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello colaborará en el nuevo disco del grupo La Santa Cecilia

Miami (EFE) El grupo hispano La Santa Cecilia contará para su nuevo disco, "Treinta días", con la colaboración del popular cantante británico Elvis Costello en el tema "Losing game", informó hoy la banda.

"Desde que 'La Marisoul' (cantante de La Santa Cecilia) y yo intercambiamos versos en español y en inglés para el tema 'No Let Me Be Misunderstood' en el Teatro Wiltern (de Los Ángeles), hace un año, tenía la esperanza de que pudiéramos tener la oportunidad de cantar juntos de nuevo", dijo Costello en un comunicado.

El cantante de "She", "Pump it up" o "Alison" se mostró "encantado" de esta invitación para "escribir una líneas de la canción 'Losing Game' e intercambiar de nuevo versos y armonías con 'La Marisoul'".

Costello destacó el "poder y la alegría" de las nuevas grabaciones de La Santa Cecilia, especialmente el tema "El Hielo (ICE)", tema publicado el pasado día 5 en ITunes y que es el primer sencillo de "Treinta días", que saldrá a la venta en mayo próximo.

En esta canción, la banda, compuesta además por Alex Bendaña, Jose "Pepe" Carlos y Miguel "Oso" Ramírez, narra la lucha diaria de los inmigrantes que trabajan para dar un futuro mejor a sus familias mientras temen ser deportados y separados de sus seres queridos.

El grupo angelino fusiona la cultura de Estados Unidos convertida en blues, jazz y rock con sonidos que reflejan su herencia mexicana y latinoamericana, como la cumbia, bossa nova, bolero y el tango.

Compuesto por inmigrantes e hijos de inmigrantes, La Santa Cecilia comenzó su carrera con actuaciones para turistas en la reconocida Placita Olvera de Los Ángeles, aunque su particular sonido les permitió recibir una nominación al Grammy Latino 2011 por el tema "La Negra" y firmar recientemente con Universal Music Latino.

Google translation:

Elvis Costello will collaborate on the new album the group La Santa Cecilia

Miami (EFE) The Spanish group La Santa Cecilia will for their new album, "Thirty Days", in collaboration with the popular British singer Elvis Costello on "Losing Game", the band announced today.

"Since 'La Marisoul' (singer of La Santa Cecilia) and I exchanged verses in Spanish and English for the song 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' at the Wiltern Theatre (Los Angeles), a year ago, had hoped we could have the opportunity to sing together again, "Costello said in a statement.

The singer of "She", "Pump it up" or "Alison" was "delighted" to this invitation to "write a line of the song 'Losing Game' and exchange of new verses and harmonies with 'La Marisoul'".

Costello said the "power and joy" of new recordings of La Santa Cecilia, especially the song "The Ice (ICE)", published last theme day 5 on iTunes and is the first single from "Thirty Days", which will be released in May.

In this song, the band, which also includes Alex Bendaña, Jose "Pepe" Carlos and Miguel "Bear" Ramirez tells the daily struggle of immigrants working for a better future for their families while they fear being deported and separated from their loved ones.

Angeleno Group merges U.S. culture turned into blues, jazz and rock sounds that reflect his Mexican heritage and American, like cumbia, bossa nova, bolero and tango.

Composed of immigrants and children of immigrants, La Santa Cecilia began her career with performances at the renowned tourist Placita Olvera in Los Angeles, but his unique sound allowed them to receive a 2011 Latin Grammy nomination for the song "La Negra" and recently signed with Universal Music Latino.
And No Coffee Table

Re: EC records song with La Santa Cecilia

This may be easier to read.

Elvis Costello to appear on La Santa Cecilia album

La Santa Cecilia, the alt-Latino L.A. band led by frontwoman chanteuse La Marisoul, will have at least one high-profile collaborator on its upcoming major-label debut album, "Treinta Dias" (Thirty Days).

Elvis Costello will appear on a duet, "Losing Game," on the new record, scheduled for an early May release. Here's what he had to say about the partnership in a press release:

“Since La Marisoul and I traded Spanish and English verses on ‘Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood’ at the Wiltern Theatre, a year ago, I hoped that we might have a chance to sing together again. So I was delighted to be asked to write a few lines for the song, ‘Losing Game’ and trade lines and harmonise with La Marisoul again. In the midst of power and joy in these new recordings of La Santa Cecilia, I also feel one of the best cuts you will hear this year is ‘ El Hielo’ - a sympathetic and seductive argument of a song.”

Costello's reference is to the first-released single from the album, "El Hielo (ICE)," a plaintive, bossa-nova-ish tune about hardworking migrants trying to survive in the United States while under the probing gaze of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Meanwhile, La Santa Cecilia will be performing four showcases at SXSW.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Good on him. That is a way to go- nice to hear him stretch himself. That is a nicely seductive bass melody line in that tune. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
And No Coffee Table

https://twitter.com/CosmicaArtists/stat ... 2392465409
Mr Pete Thomas from @ElvisCostello sitting in with @lasantacecilia at their @amoeba sunset instore for #treintadias pic.twitter.com/3eWDHQ29qN

Pete's on the CD too. (He's actually the only drummer credited.)
cwr

Post by cwr »

WHAT A FUN SONG!

Just bought it for $1.29 on iTunes.

I think I may end up buying the whole album, but it's nice to be able to just buy a single song if I want to.

(Back in the mid-90s, EC was such a frequent contributor to tribute albums that it was both delightful and expensive. I bought a lot of CDs just for one song, although it would often end up steering me towards another artist I wasn't familiar with. The side effect of EC fandom is that you end up liking a lot of other artists as a result. Elvis Costello is like a gateway drug to other music!)
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

As Dennis Crouch once said to me, 'Elvis is a part of everything'.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Name dropper :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Sorry, name dropping is a terrible habit. Or at least, that's what Jim Lauderdale told me.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Elvis sounds much cooler here than in the recording he contributed to the Mellencamp/Stephen King thing.
Jack of All Parades

The more I have listened to this track I have to agree with a friend- EC is nearly blown off the track by that powerhouse set of lungs in the forefront. First time I have heard that happen in some time.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The 'imposterspeaks' tweets are full of snatches of Spanish and refs to Santa Cecilia (inc YouTube link). Elvis has gone all Hispanic! El Vez
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
krm

Post by krm »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... 5262.story

"Krys, a friend of Costello, introduced the British rocker to the band a few years ago. Then Costello invited Hernández to perform a song with him, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood," during a concert at the Wiltern Theater. Hernández sang her part in Spanish.

Costello said by phone that he had come to know and admire La Santa Cecilia through its previous EP releases. He called "Losing Game" a "kind of reply" to a guest vocal appearance that Hernández will make on Costello's forthcoming album with the neo-soul/hip-hop band the Roots.

Costello said that with "Treinta Días," the band manages to convey the "verve and energy" of its live performances.

"That is a very hard thing to convert into a record that endures," Costello said. "Because how many bands do you know that are great live, and then never, ever get captured on a record? They've managed to balance that on this record, the hint of which was only suggested on the previous recordings.""
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.informador.com.mx/entretenim ... stello.htm

Google translation -

21 August '13

Angeleno Group boasts duets included in his latest material: Thirty Days''''

MIAMI, USA (17/AGO/2013). - The Angeleno group La Santa Cecilia continues to reap success with her latest album,'' thirty days'', a job in which the band has had the opportunity to share with musicians admire, such as the renowned singer and filmmaker Elvis Costello and Mexican musician Sergio Arau.

"It's great to collaborate with artists like Elvis Costello and admire Sergio Arau, not only musically but also making a video, as with Sergio (director of the film A Day Without a Mexican'''')," said Marisol Hernandez, vocalist the band known as The Marisoul.

On the album which was released last May under Universal Music Latino, the group consists of children of Mexican immigrants settled in Los Angeles performs with British artist Losing the game'' issue''.

"For us it was a great honor, Elvis sang not only wrote but also with us, we work together the lyrics and the music, we never thought that we would work with him," added Hernandez.

The members of the alternative rock band that began in 2007 singing for tourists in the famous Olvera Street in Los Angeles, pleaded "fans" of Costello, a musician who upon entering the recording studio with them was "super humble" .

"When we met told us that he was also a fan of our music. We could not believe, "he said on his part the percussionist Miguel" Oso "Ramirez.

The musician said that working with Costello meant a sort of "musical baptism".

"That a music legend has joined us is a blessing and we say: 'I believe in you like you believe in your own music, was our baptism," he said.

Of his collaboration with filmmaker, musician (member of the group was founded 30 years ago in Mexico bottle of sherry) and artist Sergio Arau out the video for the song also included on the album'' The Monedita''.

"We met in the release of our album in Los Angeles. We were playing our new songs and the audience saw Sergio Arau and said 'Wow, that's Sergio Arau, that of bottle of sherry, and I wanted to rock out more songs. It was amazing, then stayed after the show and told us he liked our music, "said Marisoul.

With Arau, La Santa Cecilia recorded video'' The Monedita'' for which even the artist himself made the drawings appear in it.

"The song is about enjoying life and appreciate it without having much money to do it, you do not need great things to enjoy. It's a situation that we ourselves, in the band, sometimes we live when we have a lot of money, but we always enjoy, "said Jose" Pepe "Carlos, accordionist.

In the video for this song about coins, money and how people think in accumulating, however, "there is no boats, no cars, no models, is simple and conveys the idea of ​​appreciating what you have" said Marisoul.

Public response to the group's third album, described by LA Weekly as "the best alternative band of the year", has been very positive, which keeps to La Santa Cecilia in good spirits to continue with a full agenda of presentations.

So this weekend the group will participate in the festival H20 Los Angeles, next go to Boston and then assist in fundraising for the Museum of the Americas in Denver (Colorado).

"We are pleased with the public response to'' thirty days'' because it is an album that likes Americans, Latinos, is for all the people because it has a bit of everything, northern blues, cumbia, vallenato , for everyone, "said bassist Alex Bendana.

Marisoul forward to continue working on new songs and plan to return soon to the studio to record a new album while looking forward to the arrival of the month of November to launch'''' Thirty days in Mexico.
And No Coffee Table

The album won a Grammy last night.

Best Latin rock, urban or alternative album
Café Tacvba -- "El Objeto Antes Llamado Disco"
El Tri -- "Ojo Por Ojo"
Illya Kuryaki and the Valderramas -- "Chances"
La Santa Cecilia -- "Treinta Dias" -- WINNER
Los Amigos Invisibles -- "Repeat After Me"

cwr

Post by cwr »

Does this mean the Curse Of Costello has lifted? I'd say yes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

:D
woz

Post by woz »

From the Los Angeles Times on January 26, 2014 (Grammy preview). This was on the front page of Sunday's newspaper here in L.A.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... z2rdgDYFIL

By Reed Johnson This post has been corrected. See the note below for details.
January 25, 2014, 6:00 a.m.

If the Latin alternative band La Santa Cecilia wins a Grammy Award on Sunday for its album "Treinta Días," it will have a long list of shout-outs to bestow.

To the merchants of Olvera Street, who remember when the band's lusty-voiced lead vocalist, Marisol Hernandez, was a little girl crooning Spanish-language boleros for spare change.

To Los Prietos Boys Camp for young offenders, near Santa Barbara, where the band played a free gig earlier this month for the boisterous juvenile wards.

"They're like, 'If you win, you'd better not forget us!'" said Hernandez, a.k.a. La Marisoul, who sings like the love child of Janis Joplin and Celia Cruz and dresses in a style that might be described as Mesoamerican-Tropical Pop art (polka-dot blouses, lemon skirts, hand-painted shoes).

FULL COVERAGE: Grammy nominations 2014

Last year, as La Santa Cecilia's identity evolved from L.A. hometown sweethearts into the musical face of the country's fast-growing under-35 Latino population, the band found new friends across the country. Band members also turned into melodic cultural emissaries in the debate over immigration reform, performing at rallies nationwide.

The kitchen crew at Pat's restaurant in Philadelphia showered the group with free cheese steaks in gratitude for its hit single "El Hielo (ICE)." The song, despite its chilled-out bossa nova tempo, is a fiery cri de coeur about three immigrant workers living in a fearful twilight zone of the American dream.

La Santa Cecilia fans know that one worker is modeled on La Marisoul's mother, and that the band's accordion player Jose "Pepe" Carlos was 6 when his Oaxacan parents crossed the border illegally. He's been fighting for U.S. citizenship ever since.

"This year, we've been able to go to places like Charlotte, N.C., Washington, D.C., Chicago, throughout Texas, and everywhere we go the people that come out are people like Pepe that are going through all that same stuff," said percussionist Miguel Ramirez.

But whether it takes home the trophy in the Grammys' nebulously designated Latin rock, urban or alternative album category, La Santa Cecilia — a local favorite since it began playing to wall-to-wall dance crowds at La Cita and the Echoplex in the mid-2000s — already has savored the kind of breakout year that can turn an emerging act into a headliner.

TIMELINE: Grammy Awards through the years

Mainstream culture certified La Santa Cecilia when the trade publication Advertising Age last year named it one of the "Rising Hispanic Artists to Watch," citing the band's "crossover appeal" from the Spanish-dominant to the English-speaking general market and the great in-between.

Although the band, which also includes Nicaraguan bassist Alex Bendaña, sings mostly in Spanish, its sensibility is as casually multicultural as the signage at an L.A. mini-mall.

"They definitely became sort of like the voice of immigrants," said Mariluz Gonzalez, a promoter and manager who co-hosts the Latin alternative radio show "Travel Tips for Aztlan" on KPFK-FM (90.7). "It just came at a great time and it resonated with a lot of people. It got them out of L.A. and kind of made them into a band that has national appeal."

One recent afternoon, the band gathered at the San Fernando Valley studio-home of producer Sebastian Krys, a native of Argentina who has worked with pop stars Shakira, Carlos Vives and Gloria Estefan. All the band's members, who are in their early 30s, still make their homes in L.A., where La Santa Cecilia formed years ago when La Marisoul and Carlos met while performing on Olvera Street.

PHOTOS: Grammy nominations snubs and surprises

The group, which is named for the patron saint of music, was offering a reporter a preview of its followup to "Treinta Días," the band's major-label debut on Universal Latino. The new disc is due out this spring.

The untitled record's opening track, a cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever," typifies La Santa Cecilia's canny musical ramblings. It commences with the celestial pluck of a jarocho diatonic harp, picks up speed with a vaguely samba beat, then adds a psychedelic norteño accordion line that in context is as weirdly groovy as John Lennon's facial hair.

The rest of the album pivots from the flamenco-esque "La Morena" (including samples of Olvera Street ambient crowd noise) to a jaunty '60s-retro pop tune ("Someday Someday New") and a smoky rendition of "Cuidado."

"One of the first songs I heard as a kid," La Marisoul said of the classic José José tune. "I remember riding on the 10, in my dad's car, and him having tapes. And he's like, 'Hija, escucha este.' One of those first songs that you get to bond with your parents with."

BALLOT: Cast your Grammy Awards vote

Like a few other young bilingual Latino artists — the L.A.-based Guatemalan singer-songwriter Gaby Moreno and the Florida funk fusionists Elastic Bond come to mind — La Santa Cecilia is pointing U.S. pop not so much toward what F. Scott Fitzgerald called "the orgiastic future," but the orgiastic polyrhythmic here-and-now.

Krys compared the band's new album to an iPod shuffle. "The biggest virtue of the band is also the hardest thing about the band to explain to people, is that they don't fit anywhere," he said. What La Santa Cecilia's music embodies, Krys said, is "not the L.A. people know, but the L.A. that people in L.A. know."

One continuing challenge, Krys continued, is trying to explain that very L.A. sound to Latin American promoters and journalists who haven't seen the group perform.

That's true of La Santa Cecilia's wardrobe as well. Both for political and cultural reasons, Chicano bands sometimes feel more compelled to assert their Latin identity than their cross-border counterparts. That can produce some comic paradoxes.

"When we went to Mexico this last time we were doing this interview, and they sat us down with this band from Mexico called Vicente Gallo, like an alternative indie group," Ramirez said. "They're dressed like kind of British indie-looking rockers, and we're dressed like all super-folkloric."

INTERACTIVE: Times music staff best of 2013 list

Produced by Krys, "Treinta Días" was the first record to capture the band's complex musical identity, good-natured energy and technical chops. It reached No. 3 on iTunes' Latin music rankings, on par with releases by Pitbull and Marc Anthony, and the Top 10 of Billboard's Latin albums charts.

It also got a boost from Elvis Costello, who co-wrote one album track ("Losing Game") on which he sang a duet with La Marisoul. She returned the favor, supplying a guest vocal on Costello and the Roots' album, "Wise Up Ghost."

"Treinta Días" also established the group as a next-wave successor to quintessential L.A. outfits like Los Lobos, Quetzal and Ozomatli that pioneered cross-border fusions of rock, funk, punk, ska, cumbia, son jarocho, norteño and more. La Santa Cecilia toured last year with Los Lobos, which was celebrating its 40th anniversary, and closed out one show with a group encore of "La Bamba," forming a generational bridge stretching from Ritchie Valens onward.

Afterward, Los Lobos came to La Santa Cecilia's dressing room. Cesar Rosas kissed La Marisoul's hand, and David Hidalgo told the younger group, "It's your turn now."

As is often the case in the catch-all Grammy category of urban-alternative-Latin, this year's competition is formidable, with entries from veteran Mexican rock bands El Tri and Café Tacuba; the Buenos Aires hip-hop and disco-funk duo Illya Kuryaki and the Valderramas; and Los Amigos Invisibles, the Caracas-by-way-of-New-York acid-jazz funksters.

But when the members of La Santa Cecilia turn up at Staples Center on Sunday, many of their Eastside musical elders will be unabashedly rooting for them.

"Some bands come out of a garage," said Quetzal Flores, whose band Quetzal won last year's Latin alternative Grammy for its album "Imaginaries." La Santa Cecilia "come out of a community that is a continuum of a long trajectory of art and culture and music."

"So no matter what happens, they go out there and struggle. But they can always come back and land on a soft pillow that is their community."

[For the record 12:11 p.m. PST Jan. 25: An earlier version of this post identified bassist Alex Bendana as Salvadoran American. He is Nicaraguan.]

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... z2rdh3Lo4O

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... z2rdgShmPP
woz

Post by woz »

From the Los Angeles Times on January 26, 2014 (Grammy preview). This was on the front page of Sunday's newspaper here in L.A.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... z2rdgDYFIL

By Reed Johnson This post has been corrected. See the note below for details.
January 25, 2014, 6:00 a.m.

If the Latin alternative band La Santa Cecilia wins a Grammy Award on Sunday for its album "Treinta Días," it will have a long list of shout-outs to bestow.

To the merchants of Olvera Street, who remember when the band's lusty-voiced lead vocalist, Marisol Hernandez, was a little girl crooning Spanish-language boleros for spare change.

To Los Prietos Boys Camp for young offenders, near Santa Barbara, where the band played a free gig earlier this month for the boisterous juvenile wards.

"They're like, 'If you win, you'd better not forget us!'" said Hernandez, a.k.a. La Marisoul, who sings like the love child of Janis Joplin and Celia Cruz and dresses in a style that might be described as Mesoamerican-Tropical Pop art (polka-dot blouses, lemon skirts, hand-painted shoes).

FULL COVERAGE: Grammy nominations 2014

Last year, as La Santa Cecilia's identity evolved from L.A. hometown sweethearts into the musical face of the country's fast-growing under-35 Latino population, the band found new friends across the country. Band members also turned into melodic cultural emissaries in the debate over immigration reform, performing at rallies nationwide.

The kitchen crew at Pat's restaurant in Philadelphia showered the group with free cheese steaks in gratitude for its hit single "El Hielo (ICE)." The song, despite its chilled-out bossa nova tempo, is a fiery cri de coeur about three immigrant workers living in a fearful twilight zone of the American dream.

La Santa Cecilia fans know that one worker is modeled on La Marisoul's mother, and that the band's accordion player Jose "Pepe" Carlos was 6 when his Oaxacan parents crossed the border illegally. He's been fighting for U.S. citizenship ever since.

"This year, we've been able to go to places like Charlotte, N.C., Washington, D.C., Chicago, throughout Texas, and everywhere we go the people that come out are people like Pepe that are going through all that same stuff," said percussionist Miguel Ramirez.

But whether it takes home the trophy in the Grammys' nebulously designated Latin rock, urban or alternative album category, La Santa Cecilia — a local favorite since it began playing to wall-to-wall dance crowds at La Cita and the Echoplex in the mid-2000s — already has savored the kind of breakout year that can turn an emerging act into a headliner.

TIMELINE: Grammy Awards through the years

Mainstream culture certified La Santa Cecilia when the trade publication Advertising Age last year named it one of the "Rising Hispanic Artists to Watch," citing the band's "crossover appeal" from the Spanish-dominant to the English-speaking general market and the great in-between.

Although the band, which also includes Nicaraguan bassist Alex Bendaña, sings mostly in Spanish, its sensibility is as casually multicultural as the signage at an L.A. mini-mall.

"They definitely became sort of like the voice of immigrants," said Mariluz Gonzalez, a promoter and manager who co-hosts the Latin alternative radio show "Travel Tips for Aztlan" on KPFK-FM (90.7). "It just came at a great time and it resonated with a lot of people. It got them out of L.A. and kind of made them into a band that has national appeal."

One recent afternoon, the band gathered at the San Fernando Valley studio-home of producer Sebastian Krys, a native of Argentina who has worked with pop stars Shakira, Carlos Vives and Gloria Estefan. All the band's members, who are in their early 30s, still make their homes in L.A., where La Santa Cecilia formed years ago when La Marisoul and Carlos met while performing on Olvera Street.

PHOTOS: Grammy nominations snubs and surprises

The group, which is named for the patron saint of music, was offering a reporter a preview of its followup to "Treinta Días," the band's major-label debut on Universal Latino. The new disc is due out this spring.

The untitled record's opening track, a cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever," typifies La Santa Cecilia's canny musical ramblings. It commences with the celestial pluck of a jarocho diatonic harp, picks up speed with a vaguely samba beat, then adds a psychedelic norteño accordion line that in context is as weirdly groovy as John Lennon's facial hair.

The rest of the album pivots from the flamenco-esque "La Morena" (including samples of Olvera Street ambient crowd noise) to a jaunty '60s-retro pop tune ("Someday Someday New") and a smoky rendition of "Cuidado."

"One of the first songs I heard as a kid," La Marisoul said of the classic José José tune. "I remember riding on the 10, in my dad's car, and him having tapes. And he's like, 'Hija, escucha este.' One of those first songs that you get to bond with your parents with."

BALLOT: Cast your Grammy Awards vote

Like a few other young bilingual Latino artists — the L.A.-based Guatemalan singer-songwriter Gaby Moreno and the Florida funk fusionists Elastic Bond come to mind — La Santa Cecilia is pointing U.S. pop not so much toward what F. Scott Fitzgerald called "the orgiastic future," but the orgiastic polyrhythmic here-and-now.

Krys compared the band's new album to an iPod shuffle. "The biggest virtue of the band is also the hardest thing about the band to explain to people, is that they don't fit anywhere," he said. What La Santa Cecilia's music embodies, Krys said, is "not the L.A. people know, but the L.A. that people in L.A. know."

One continuing challenge, Krys continued, is trying to explain that very L.A. sound to Latin American promoters and journalists who haven't seen the group perform.

That's true of La Santa Cecilia's wardrobe as well. Both for political and cultural reasons, Chicano bands sometimes feel more compelled to assert their Latin identity than their cross-border counterparts. That can produce some comic paradoxes.

"When we went to Mexico this last time we were doing this interview, and they sat us down with this band from Mexico called Vicente Gallo, like an alternative indie group," Ramirez said. "They're dressed like kind of British indie-looking rockers, and we're dressed like all super-folkloric."

INTERACTIVE: Times music staff best of 2013 list

Produced by Krys, "Treinta Días" was the first record to capture the band's complex musical identity, good-natured energy and technical chops. It reached No. 3 on iTunes' Latin music rankings, on par with releases by Pitbull and Marc Anthony, and the Top 10 of Billboard's Latin albums charts.

It also got a boost from Elvis Costello, who co-wrote one album track ("Losing Game") on which he sang a duet with La Marisoul. She returned the favor, supplying a guest vocal on Costello and the Roots' album, "Wise Up Ghost."

"Treinta Días" also established the group as a next-wave successor to quintessential L.A. outfits like Los Lobos, Quetzal and Ozomatli that pioneered cross-border fusions of rock, funk, punk, ska, cumbia, son jarocho, norteño and more. La Santa Cecilia toured last year with Los Lobos, which was celebrating its 40th anniversary, and closed out one show with a group encore of "La Bamba," forming a generational bridge stretching from Ritchie Valens onward.

Afterward, Los Lobos came to La Santa Cecilia's dressing room. Cesar Rosas kissed La Marisoul's hand, and David Hidalgo told the younger group, "It's your turn now."

As is often the case in the catch-all Grammy category of urban-alternative-Latin, this year's competition is formidable, with entries from veteran Mexican rock bands El Tri and Café Tacuba; the Buenos Aires hip-hop and disco-funk duo Illya Kuryaki and the Valderramas; and Los Amigos Invisibles, the Caracas-by-way-of-New-York acid-jazz funksters.

But when the members of La Santa Cecilia turn up at Staples Center on Sunday, many of their Eastside musical elders will be unabashedly rooting for them.

"Some bands come out of a garage," said Quetzal Flores, whose band Quetzal won last year's Latin alternative Grammy for its album "Imaginaries." La Santa Cecilia "come out of a community that is a continuum of a long trajectory of art and culture and music."

"So no matter what happens, they go out there and struggle. But they can always come back and land on a soft pillow that is their community."

[For the record 12:11 p.m. PST Jan. 25: An earlier version of this post identified bassist Alex Bendana as Salvadoran American. He is Nicaraguan.]

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... z2rdh3Lo4O

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... z2rdgShmPP
Jack of All Parades

A respectful profile piece in today's NY Times- they are gaining traction:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/arts/ ... l?ref=arts
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Wow. That is a great song. Bizarre that I have not heard it until today. I'm downloading that tonight when I get home.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »