Best double album ever?

Pretty self-explanatory
Spiritinthesky

Best double album ever?

Post by Spiritinthesky »

What has been the best double album ever?
The Wall? Electric Ladyland? Exile On Main St? Physical Graffiti? The White Album?

Vote for your favourite double album. http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/double_album
"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards
bronxapostle

Re: Best double album ever?

Post by bronxapostle »

Blonde on Blonde? Quadrophenia? London Calling? Warehouse: Songs and Stories? MOMOFUKU???
cwr

Post by cwr »

When I Was Cruel and National Ransom were both legitimately 2LP sets. Were any others?

I'm pretty sure Brutal Youth would have been spread across two LPs but it still has never been issued on vinyl!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

well cwr; THE DELIVERY MAN, THE RIVER IN REVERSE and SECRET, PROFANE AND SUGARCANE all indeed were issued upon double vinyl as well. the reason i named MOMOFUKU so adamantly was the initial story about it was that it was ONLY going to be released upon double vinyl. naturally, we knew this would not come to be, but it was indeed a fun promotional idea for the album which surely proclaimed Elvis love of vinyl. however, he was a bit fallen away himself in the mid 90's 'cos he kinda looked at me as if i was from another planet in 1994 when i inquired when would we get a BRUTAL YOUTH vinyl pressing. we are also owed vinyl versions of KOJAK VARIETY and PAINTED FROM MEMORY which would be incendiary on vinyl.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Back in 2002 when EC was active on his own website with an online diary and an "Ask Elvis" section, I inquired about whether we'd ever see vinyl editions of BY, KV and PFM.

He agreed it was a good idea but obviously nothing has happened since! I hope it does someday!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

one more i realize needs a vinyl pressing AND would look great that way...MY FLAME BURNS BLUE!
jmm

Post by jmm »

London Calling -- full stop for me

Not a throwaway on it
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Clearly it's Exile or the White Album. The latter has more classic songs but the former is more cohesive.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I agree with Mr. Dylan-"Exile on Main Street" tops my list but I have a strong sentimental attachment for his namesake's "Blonde on Blonde"-it is a record I return to month after month after month and that has been for over 46 years now.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Blood Money and Alice, Tom Waits
Live at the Old Quarter, Townes Van Zandt
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The case for the white album:

BACK IN THE USSR
DEAR PRUDENCE
GLASS ONION
WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN
MARTHA MY DEAR
I'M SO TIRED
BLACKBIRD
PIGGIES
ROCKY RACCOON
DON'T PASS ME BY
WHY DON'T WE DO IT IN THE ROAD
I WILL
JULIA
BIRTHDAY
YER BLUES
MOTHER NATURE'S SON
EVERYBODY'S GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE EXCEPT FOR ME AND MY MONKEY
SEXY SADIE
HELTER SKELTER
LONG LONG LONG
REVOLUTION 1
HONEY PIE
SAVOY TRUFFLE
CRY BABY CRY
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

There are some truly irritating songs on the White Album - Obla Di Obla Da anyone? An indsispensible record for sure - but wouldn't make my list.

I would list Blonde on Blonde, London Calling and Exile on Main Street as my favorites; don't know what order though.

BA - good call on Warehouse: Songs and Stories .
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks BWAP! some might say ZEN ARCADE is better...but, i prefer the melodic aspect of WAREHOUSE much more. GRANT HART was the better songwriter in HUSKER DU imho. :wink: was actually lucky enough to see them perform the whole LP at THE RITZ in NYC! an awesome end to their career.
Jack of All Parades

I was thinking about this thread last night. There is another record I would nominate amongst my choices-on a given day it can replace "Exile on Main Street" in my listening heart. It is The Allman Brother's "Live at Fillmore East"-expecially the deluxe version that was put out about a decade ago which restored original mixes and added additional material. There might not be a more intelligent and emotionally charged group of shows that I can remember. The music approaches the jubillance of vibrant, strong jazz playing quite often. That is a rare feat. Solos are not ego driven extravagances but integral to the full development of a given song on the record. Love the record.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

it is great Jack...but, i think the LIVE factor puts it in a different category. surely a DEFINITE for top ten live lps ever!
Jack of All Parades

BA-I guess I just like to blur that distinction. After all one needs to be able to play one's material in public. I do not mean a slavish reduplication of the studio material note for note but the ability to convey it powerfully night in and night out. For me it is in my top twenty five of all albums and I respectively still think it considers merit as possibly the best double album[live or not]. :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

cool, no worry there. guilty pleasure of mine? i'd put FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE in my top 25 all time EVER too! i was actually a big Pete fan for years before back from Humble Pie and had seen two shows on the same tour which produced the Comes Alive lp. a fantastic representation of just how stellar he was in 1975!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

White album
Songs in the Key of Life
Goodbye Yellow Brickroad
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

If including live albums then The Name of This Band is....
signed with love and vicious kisses
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

so lacklustre wrote:If including live albums then The Name of This Band is....

heck yeah...right down to the Central Park pics on the cover from one of the BEST nights i ever spent at Wollman Rink!

and don't forget this baby if we are including LIVE lps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxyRjzXvxo

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!
Jack of All Parades

Though technically not a double album, its sheer recorded size alone allows it to qualify for me. Cannot believe I had forgotten about this one- Keith Jarret's "The Koln Concert"

http://johannasvisions.com/30-best-live ... th-jarret/

Perhaps the best improvisation I have ever encountered. He makes it seem effortless. I know how hard this can be as I am often amazed as I sit in my living room and listen to my wife attempt to master this art. It brings her to tears more often than not.