T Bone Burnett's Revue /Elvis, album release Oct. '11

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: T Bone Burnett's Revue /Elvis in Boston, NY, Oct. 16/20

Post by bronxapostle »

at lunch at work now...so here goes. first things first...TAPED! small problem, but more later about THAT! the big good news was that i had scored a pair of balcony for $44 ($55 EACH originally!) with my VERY FIRST stubhub purchase. the beacon is notoriously LOUSY sounding up there....but, it sounds better there than from my kitchen. anyways, three songs in, a BEACON staffer gentleman in a suit inquires of me and my buddy if we would like a pair of ORCHESTRA seats instead. tough question, huh? so, two minutes later there is me, Don and Sony in ROW U of the orch! from the top, first set opened with TBONE introducing E and BRILLIANT MISTAKE with Sickly Sisters and Karen Elson. cool. next up was two good hillbilly stomps by the PUNCH BROTHERS. Ms. Elson then did her two with two songs each performed by John Mellencamp, Sordid Sisters, Jeff Bridges, Jim James and to close the first set...four by co-owner of the Beacon: GREGG ALLMAN. he sounded remarkably well and his songs were all VERY good; ending with the classic Midnight Rider. the only time T-Bone played upon a song all evening was the Jeff song which he and EC strummed and added bvox to. Jeff called his guests: THE COWARD BROTHERS! a ninety minute first set with NO disappointing performance at all! after a very quick intermission, EC again took the stage to intro MARC RIBOT as he played a nice instrumental (classical?) piece to the still returning to their seats crowd. oh, the story i owe you: a male usherette glimpses the light from Sony as Ribot begins to play and he asks me quite mortified: ARE YOU TAPING??? i said "yeh" and i swore he would burst into TEARS. she came back two minutes later and i was fearful that he would have troops. i verified i had shut the tape off! she looked somewhat relieved and disappeared again. as Ribot finished and TBone returned to intro an EC set...i jumped further into the aisle from my aisle seat and began re-recording. no glitch tape-wise the rest of the night!!! so, after EC's great three song NATIONAL RANSOM set, ending with a very rocking title cut, came two more COUGARS and then Dr. Ralph Stanley for three good old tunes. T Bone then returned as roadies hurriedly put EJ and Leon's two pianos in place and the Punchdrunk Bros. once more filled this momentary void with Brakeman's Blues. EJ (the first time i've seen him since 1983 or so if memory serves) was in fine voice. all six of these EJ/LR songs were very good and played superbly by the backing band. EC then called everyone out one by one for a final bow and it appears they one upped the Boston show by having a "finale" worked out of something i tentatively entitled THERE'S NO TOMORROW! will try to get accurate setlist together. look for the sounds soon!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.examiner.com/local-music-in- ... con-review

Elvis Costello at The Speaking Clock Revue at the Beacon Theater
Photo: Harry Sandler

T Bone Burnett brings 'The Speaking Clock Revue' to the Beacon

October 21st, 2010

by Jim Bessman

The pairing of Elton John and Leon Russell was the marquee attraction, what with their new album The Union garnering much notice. And sure enough, the piano-playing pair's six-song closing set at last night's The Speaking Clock Revue show at the Beacon Theater was grand.

But the high point really came halfway through the first set, when emcee Elvis Costello outlined event producer T Bone Burnett's 30-year background in films, then brought out Jeff Bridges, whom he worked with on the music side on the unforgettable films The Big Lebowski and last year's Crazy Heart. Bridges' Kris Kristofferson-like performance of the latter's key song "Fallin' & Flyin'" was right out of the movie; when Costello and Burnett traipsed out together playing guitars after the first verse the moment was magical and consecrated by Bridges' recognition of the duo as the Coward Brothers--the name they've used for their many music collaborations.

Burnett, of course, had a hand in producing nearly every artist on the bill starting with Costello, who opened the evening with "Brilliant Mistake," from his Burnett-produced 1986 album King Of America. Indeed, Brooklyn's progressive acoustic group the Punch Brothers, who followed, and English singer-songwriter Karen Elson were about the only artists on the bill who haven't worked with him--at least for now.

For the most part, every artist did two songs, mostly backed by "The Speaking Clock Revue Ensemble" led by guitarist Marc Ribot and featuring guitars, pedal steel, mandolin, upright bass, keyboards, banjo and two drummers (including the great Jim Keltner). Not everything worked: Roots-pop duo the Secret Sisters' version of Johnny Cash's "Big River" was drowned out by a big wall-of-sound arrangement additionally buttressed by the Punch Brothers.

The ensemble wisely let well enough alone during My Morning Jacket's Jim James' solo acoustic songs. John Mellencamp, however, ably played it both ways. Accompanied by his splendid guitarist Andy York, he rocked solid with the ensemble on "Troubled Land" (Elson adding backup vocal support) and then did a beautiful solo acoustic turn on "Save Some Time To Dream," which he prefaced with a pointed dedication to America's children "and the education they're not getting."

Education was Burnett's motivation for staging The Speaking Clock Revue, which also played Boston on Oct. 16. Presented with Participant Media in conjunction with the release of the Davis Guggenheim-directed documentary film Waiting For "Superman"--which explores innovative approaches by education reformers--the concerts are raising money for The Participant Foundation to support music and arts education programming in public schools.

Burnett outlined the cause while the set was changed for the John/Russell finale. The two then strode to their opposing pianos and commenced their spectacular The Union mini-set, the ensemble broadened by a four-piece horn section and four female backup singers. The standout was "Gone To Shiloh," a Civil War-themed song that featured Beacon Theater favorite Gregg Allman, who closed the first set, on guest vocals.

Extra credit should go to ringmaster Costello, who's practically made a side career out of hosting such events, not to mention his Spectacle: Elvis Costello With…. TV series. Besides his own stellar performances (some from his forthcoming Burnett-produced album National Ransom), he kept the proceedings wittily rolling along, then turned serious in introducing 83 year-old Ralph Stanley.

Calling himself "a visitor in your country" who frequently courts criticism for speaking his mind on American issues, Englishman Costello proudly made note of his two New York City-born sons and guaranteed that they would be "raised right" by learning to always love and respect bluegrass legend Stanley.

Accompanied by his longtime guitarist James Shelton, Stanley sang some of his classics, capped by "Man Of Constant Sorrow," the key song from O Brother, Where Art Thou?, in which he starred. And who produced that movie's celebrated soundtrack? T Bone Burnett, of course.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/10/ ... in-forces/

Elton John, Gregg Allman, Jeff Bridges, Elvis Costello, John Mellencamp and Leon Russell at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on October 20.

October 21, 2010

Elton John, T Bone Burnett, and Elvis Costello Join Forces

By Jim Fusilli

While some 1,200 bands were careening around New York City in hope of career advancement during the annual CMJ Music Marathon, a collection of veteran rock and bluegrass stars, promising newcomers and some of today’s best musicians were on stage at the Beacon Theatre on Broadway. On Tuesday evening, Elton John and Leon Russell introduced their new album, “The Union,” and last night, T Bone Burnett led John, Russell and a squadron of artists in what he calls The Speaking Clock Revue.

Last night’s event was a fundraiser for Participant Foundation, which is dedicated to supporting arts and music education in public schools. But it was also a tribute to record producer Burnett and his house musicians, including drummers Jay Bellerose and Jim Keltner, guitarist Marc Ribot and bassist Dennis Crouch, who learned 60 songs to work both gigs. Many singers who fronted the band performed songs they recorded with Burnett and his mates.

Elvis Costello, who also served as the revue’s master of ceremonies, offered “Brilliant Mistake,” a song he released in ’86, and “A Slow Drag with Josephine” from his forthcoming album “National Ransom.” Both were produced by Burnett, as was “Low Down Country Blues,” a disk from Gregg Allman to be released early next year. Recovering from liver-transplant surgery, Allman was much thinner than in recent years, but his raspy-blues voice was true. The Beacon Theater is the Allman Brothers Band’s home away from home – Allman let slip they’ll return next March for another long stint – and the crowd welcomed his new material. But when he played his chestnut “Midnight Rider,” they roared in appreciation.

With the Ribot-led band at their backs and Costello waving the performers to center stage, the revue never seemed harried or too much of a good thing. Tanned and in bright spirits, John Mellencamp visited his Burnett-produced “No Better Than This” and Jeff Bridges, borrowing a Gretsch electric guitar from Jackson Smith, performed two songs from the soundtrack from “Crazy Heart,” produced by, you guessed it, T Bone Burnett.

Introduced by Costello as “America’s greatest country singer,” 83-year-old Ralph Stanley delivered bluegrass and gospel with his miraculous quivering voice, ending his brief set with “Man of Constant Sorrow” which was featured on the Burnett-produced soundtrack to the Coen Brothers’ film “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” Though Ribot excelled – he opened the revue’s second half with a knotty solo rendition of “Don’t Blame Me,” a song Rudy Vallee popularized in the ‘30s – perhaps the night’s best performance on guitar was turned in by James Shelton, Stanley’s long-time sideman who, in a quiet, unassuming way, flatpicks so deftly that it seems as if there’s another invisible guitarist nearby.

Not-so newcomers like the dazzling, Chris Thile-led bluegrass quintet the Punch Brothers and Jim James of My Morning Jacket – neither of whom has had an album produced by Burnett – worked without the house band, and James’s solo version of MMJ’s “Wonderful (The Way I Feel)” was particularly affecting. With striking poise, Karen Elson showcased two songs from her debut disk “The Ghost Who Walks.” She and the Secret Sisters, who seemed giddy with delight, provided background vocals for Costello and others, giving the revue a sense of shared adventure. The Punch Brothers backed the Secret Sisters, whose Burnett-produced debut was released last week.

The evening’s climax was the return of Elton John and Leon Russell. Not only a return in the sense that Russell has been away from the spotlight for decades – his career has already been rejuvenated by the John-Russell album “The Union,” produced by Burnett – but it was a return to the stage the two singer-pianists occupied the night before, fronting the same band, featuring Burnett’s players augmented by a four-piece brass section and a four member soul-gospel choir. With Bellerose working the toms with mallets, Russell and John pounded out six songs from their new album – on “Gone to Shiloh,” Gregg Allman filled in for Neil Young, who sings on the disk – and the entire ensemble returned to sing a seventh track from the disk, “There’s No Tomorrow.”

On the previous night, Russell opened the show with a review of his bygone hits including “Song for You” and “Delta Lady” before being joined onstage by John, who blew him a kiss and beamed as he watched the white-haired Russell at the opposite grand piano. The duo played “The Union” in order from start to finish, thus concluding with Russell’s “In the Hands of Angels” in which he thanks John and Burnett for reviving his career.

But Elton John had more to say. When he returned to the stage for his solo set, he revisited songs to commemorate his 40 years of performing in the States, playing from his 1970 albums “Your Song,” a lengthy “Take Me to the Pilot,” “Burn Down the Mission” and a scorching “Ballad of a Well-Known Gun” featuring a biting Ribot solo. John is clearly thrilled by the reaction to Russell’s return: “Thank you for making this a party like I hoped it would be,” he said of the Beacon concert. But his set, backed by an aggressive, inventive collection of superb musicians, demonstrated that he too is in a period of revival. Burnett’s kind of organic music suits him just fine. When he sang a wall-rattling version of the self-deprecating “The Bitch is Back,” Elton John was making a statement that seemed truer than it has in decades.

—Mr. Fusilli is the Journal’s rock and pop music critic. Email him at jfusilli@wsj.com or follow him on Twitter: @wsjrock.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

is this JACKSON SMITH, Patti & Fred's son?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Yes. (And he's married to Meg White.)
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Thank you for the photos- that seems from the WSJ review to be the show to have seen. Somehow comforting to see both Mr. Russell and Mr. Allman vertical- and from what I can gather in fine voice.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Yes. (And he's married to Meg White.)

thanks ANCT! i knew the MEG WHITE part. and i actually saw him play (SMOKE ON THE WATER) with Patti Smith at Central Park about ten years ago when he was a teen. and i think he is even in her band sometimes now. when i heard E say the name last night, i figured it must be. cool...he did good solos.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:at lunch at work now...so here goes. first things first...TAPED! small problem, but more later about THAT! the big good news was that i had scored a pair of balcony for $44 ($55 EACH originally!) with my VERY FIRST stubhub purchase. the beacon is notoriously LOUSY sounding up there....but, it sounds better there than from my kitchen. anyways, three songs in, a BEACON staffer gentleman in a suit inquires of me and my buddy if we would like a pair of ORCHESTRA seats instead. tough question, huh? so, two minutes later there is me, Don and Sony in ROW U of the orch! from the top, first set opened with TBONE introducing E and BRILLIANT MISTAKE with Sickly Sisters and Karen Elson. cool. next up was two good hillbilly stomps by the PUNCH BROTHERS. Ms. Elson then did her two with two songs each performed by John Mellencamp, Sordid Sisters, Jeff Bridges, Jim James and to close the first set...four by co-owner of the Beacon: GREGG ALLMAN. he sounded remarkably well and his songs were all VERY good; ending with the classic Midnight Rider. the only time T-Bone played upon a song all evening was the Jeff song which he and EC strummed and added bvox to. Jeff called his guests: THE COWARD BROTHERS! a ninety minute first set with NO disappointing performance at all! after a very quick intermission, EC again took the stage to intro MARC RIBOT as he played a nice instrumental (classical?) piece to the still returning to their seats crowd. oh, the story i owe you: a male usherette glimpses the light from Sony as Ribot begins to play and he asks me quite mortified: ARE YOU TAPING??? i said "yeh" and i swore he would burst into TEARS. she came back two minutes later and i was fearful that he would have troops. i verified i had shut the tape off! she looked somewhat relieved and disappeared again. as Ribot finished and TBone returned to intro an EC set...i jumped further into the aisle from my aisle seat and began re-recording. no glitch tape-wise the rest of the night!!! so, after EC's great three song NATIONAL RANSOM set, ending with a very rocking title cut, came two more COUGARS and then Dr. Ralph Stanley for three good old tunes. T Bone then returned as roadies hurriedly put EJ and Leon's two pianos in place and the Punchdrunk Bros. once more filled this momentary void with Brakeman's Blues. EJ (the first time i've seen him since 1983 or so if memory serves) was in fine voice. all six of these EJ/LR songs were very good and played superbly by the backing band. EC then called everyone out one by one for a final bow and it appears they one upped the Boston show by having a "finale" worked out of something i tentatively entitled THERE'S NO TOMORROW! will try to get accurate setlist together. look for the sounds soon!!!
Great story, ba.

So far no recording has surfaced on Dime. Yet the GP and the Rumour reunion showed up the same night as the performance. Go figure...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

and in the small place you did NOT spy the "other" taper???
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:and in the small place you did NOT spy the "other" taper???
I saw multiple tapers. But they weren't wearing their Dime users ID name tags!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.takepart.com/news/2010/10/22 ... -education

The after-party. From left to right: Jim Berk, John Mellencamp, Jeff Bridges, T Bone Burnett, Elivis Costello, and Jeff Skoll. (Kevin Mazur/Getty)
jmm

Post by jmm »

HTTP://WWW.NYTIMES.COM/2010/10/22/ARTS/ ... NTEMAIL0=Y

MUSIC REVIEW
Kindred Spirits, Young and Mature

Chad Batka for The New York Times
A benefit concert for the Participant Foundation at the Beacon Theater on Wednesday evening. From left, Elton John, Ralph Stanley, T Bone Burnett, Gregg Allman, Jeff Bridges, John Mellencamp, Jim James, Karen Elson, Leon Russell (foreground), Lydia Rogers and Laura Rogers.
By JON PARELES
Published: October 21, 2010

T Bone Burnett didn’t perform much in the Speaking Clock Revue, the rootsy benefit concert at the Beacon Theater on Wednesday night. It featured musicians he has produced as well as kindred spirits: the duo of Elton John and Leon Russell, Gregg Allman, John Mellencamp, Elvis Costello, Jeff Bridges, Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Karen Elson and the bluegrass patriarch Ralph Stanley.

While Mr. Burnett was largely offstage, his musical and intellectual signature was all over the concert. It was a benefit for the Participant Foundation, which supports music and arts education and is associated with “Waiting for ‘Superman,’ ” a documentary about schools.

Mr. Burnett gets songwriters to think about mortality, spirituality, history, heritage and ends of eras, and he places their voices amid vintage sounds that are tweaked to be vivid rather than strictly authentic. As a film music supervisor, most notably for “O Brother, Where Art Thou?,” he’s an Americana auteur, finding dark, strange, thoughtful and rocking songs from across decades and genres. Yet this was no oldies show. Mr. Costello and Mr. Allman sang material from their coming albums, and Mr. Mellencamp and the John-Russell duo drew on albums just released this year, all produced by Mr. Burnett.
To start the show Mr. Burnett appeared in his preacher’s coat and reeled off dozens of digital-era buzzwords, only to dismiss them: “Never mind about all that, here’s some music.” Then Mr. Costello took over as the show’s M.C., amiably chatting through equipment changes. The instruments were hand played, and the voices of the headliners were proudly weathered. They were backed by a house band, led by the guitarist Marc Ribot, that many of them had seen in the studio with Mr. Burnett.

The songs were serious, which didn’t mean they were dull. It was a concert of murder ballads and pleas for redemption, tall tales and tales of sorrow. Youthful verve — the breakneck bluegrass picking and warped traditionalism of the Punch Brothers, delicately harmonized and rocked-up versions of Bill Monroe and Johnny Cash songs by the Secret Sisters — was juxtaposed with the burdens and lessons of age.

Mr. John and Mr. Russell’s new songs looked to history and literature as their miniset worked up from cinematic anthem (“Gone to Shiloh”) to rumbling, four-fisted honky-tonk gospel (“Hearts Have Turned to Stone”), matching Mr. Russell’s feisty cackle to Mr. John’s earnestness. “The West End,” Mr. Mellencamp’s song about urban decline, became a stomping indictment. Songs from Mr. Costello’s next album, “The National Ransom” had a jaunty vintage swing and torrents of unfamiliar words to digest.

Mr. Allman, who had a liver transplant in June, brought a frayed, sometimes otherworldly tone to his bluesy “Floating Bridge,” about facing death. Mr. Stanley, 83, made “Man of Constant Sorrow,” a song he has been singing for six decades, both weary and steadfast. Mr. James was aspiring to that otherworldliness, in two quietly reverent solo songs. Ms. Elson sang gently, to Appalachian-style tunes, about a homicidal lover and visions of apocalypse.

Mr. Burnett made his appearance to sing backup (along with Mr. Costello) for Mr. Bridges, whose performance as a country singer in “Crazy Heart” brought Academy Awards to them both. Mr. Bridges easily had enough grit in his voice for songs from the movie. And Mr. Burnett returned for the group finale, a waltz like a late-night bar singalong that, true to Mr. Burnett, had time and mortality in mind. “There’s no tomorrow,” the assembly sang. “There’s only today.”

A version of this review appeared in print on October 22, 2010, on page C3 of the New York edition.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:at lunch at work now...so here goes. first things first...TAPED! small problem, but more later about THAT! the big good news was that i had scored a pair of balcony for $44 ($55 EACH originally!) with my VERY FIRST stubhub purchase. the beacon is notoriously LOUSY sounding up there....but, it sounds better there than from my kitchen. anyways, three songs in, a BEACON staffer gentleman in a suit inquires of me and my buddy if we would like a pair of ORCHESTRA seats instead. tough question, huh? so, two minutes later there is me, Don and Sony in ROW U of the orch! from the top, first set opened with TBONE introducing E and BRILLIANT MISTAKE with Sickly Sisters and Karen Elson. cool. next up was two good hillbilly stomps by the PUNCH BROTHERS. Ms. Elson then did her two with two songs each performed by John Mellencamp, Sordid Sisters, Jeff Bridges, Jim James and to close the first set...four by co-owner of the Beacon: GREGG ALLMAN. he sounded remarkably well and his songs were all VERY good; ending with the classic Midnight Rider. the only time T-Bone played upon a song all evening was the Jeff song which he and EC strummed and added bvox to. Jeff called his guests: THE COWARD BROTHERS! a ninety minute first set with NO disappointing performance at all! after a very quick intermission, EC again took the stage to intro MARC RIBOT as he played a nice instrumental (classical?) piece to the still returning to their seats crowd. oh, the story i owe you: a male usherette glimpses the light from Sony as Ribot begins to play and he asks me quite mortified: ARE YOU TAPING??? i said "yeh" and i swore he would burst into TEARS. she came back two minutes later and i was fearful that he would have troops. i verified i had shut the tape off! she looked somewhat relieved and disappeared again. as Ribot finished and TBone returned to intro an EC set...i jumped further into the aisle from my aisle seat and began re-recording. no glitch tape-wise the rest of the night!!! so, after EC's great three song NATIONAL RANSOM set, ending with a very rocking title cut, came two more COUGARS and then Dr. Ralph Stanley for three good old tunes. T Bone then returned as roadies hurriedly put EJ and Leon's two pianos in place and the Punchdrunk Bros. once more filled this momentary void with Brakeman's Blues. EJ (the first time i've seen him since 1983 or so if memory serves) was in fine voice. all six of these EJ/LR songs were very good and played superbly by the backing band. EC then called everyone out one by one for a final bow and it appears they one upped the Boston show by having a "finale" worked out of something i tentatively entitled THERE'S NO TOMORROW! will try to get accurate setlist together. look for the sounds soon!!!

sorry...a week later.
AND; look for the good doctor's announcement here....

00. intro t bone
01. BRILLIANT MISTAKE ec w/ sisters & elson
02. RYE WHISKEY punch
03. WAYSIDE (BACK IN TIME) punch
04. THE GHOST WHO WALKS elson
05. THE TRUTH IS IN THE DIRT elson
06. THE WEST END mellencamp
07. LONGEST DAYS mellencamp
08. BIG RIVER sisters
09. THE ONE I LOVE IS GONE sisters
10. FALLIN' & FLYIN bridges w/ cowards
11. BRAND NEW ANGEL bridges
12. WONDERFUL (THE WAY I FEEL) jim james
13. LOOK AT YOU jim james
14. FLOATING BRIDGE gregg
15. TRAIN TO NOWHERE gregg
16. TROUBLE gregg these last two titles are only ones i am uncertain about.....
17. MIDNIGHT RIDER gregg

intermission

18. DON'T BLAME ME ribot
19. A SLOW DRAG WITH JOSEPHINE ec w/ bros. & sisters
20. JIMMIE STANDING IN THE RAIN ec w/ bros. & sisters
21. NATIONAL RANSOM ec w/ chris thiles (punch lead singer) and elson and JACKSON SMITH great solos!!!!!!!!!!!!
22. TROUBLED LAND mellencamp
23. SAVE SOME TIME TO DREAM mellencamp
24. GIRL FROM THE GREENBRIAR SHORE ralph
25. LIFT HIM UP, THAT'S ALL ralph
26. MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW ralph
27. BRAKEMAN'S BLUES (YODELING THE BLUES AWAY) punch
28. IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD elton leon
29. JIMMIE RODGERS' DREAM elton leon
30. GONE TO SHILOH elton leon w/ GREGG!!!!!
31. HEARTS HAVE TURNED TO STONE elton leon
32. MONKEY SUIT elton leon
33. HEY AHAB elton leon
34. THERE'S NO TOMORROW ec and all
docinwestchester

The Bronx-Westchester connection is back in action! The entire NYC show will soon be posted on The Trader's Den. In the meantime, you can listen to EC's excellent 3 song National Ransom set:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ux6gawphzscu7
mp3 and FLAC versions of Josephine, Jimmie and NR
docinwestchester

Complete NYC show now available at The Trader's Den:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=86897
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

docinwestchester wrote:Complete NYC show now available at The Trader's Den:

Now also on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=329058
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

sweetest punch wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:Complete NYC show now available at The Trader's Den:

Now also on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=329058
That's the version without Gregg Allman who's not allowed on Dime. The Traders' Den version, which includes the Gregg Allman tracks, is on hold, not available, pending some technical issues which I'm trying to resolve today.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

There's No tomorrow (with Elvis as MC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Bm6Vjipl4
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iVT2fniUZ8

Jeff Bridges performing "Fallin' & Flyin" from The Crazy Heart soundtrack at the Beacon Theater NYC 10/20/10. With Elvis Costello and T Bone Burnett lending back up vocals.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Parts of this are being official released: http://exclaim.ca/News/t-bone_burnett_c ... _jim_james

T-Bone Burnett Curates Benefit Comp Featuring Elvis Costello, Neko Case, Jim James

Producer T-Bone Burnett sure knows how to put together a good compilation. While making a career of overseeing the soundtracks to such films as O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Cold Mountain, he's made some friends in high places, so it's no surprise that his upcoming charity comp is a star-studded one. Entitled T-Bone Burnett Presents: The Speaking Clock Revue, the release will be out on October 18 via Shout! Factory.

Among the artists featured are Elvis Costello, Neko Case, Elton John, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Jeff Bridges, Gregg Allman and Karen Elson. The 11 tracks included on this disc were recorded live in October 2010 during a benefit concert Burnett held at the Beacon Theatre in New York, NY.

Like that performance, proceeds from this disc go to the Participant Foundation, an organization that supports music and arts education in public schools.

The show featured a house band made up of players featured on Burnett's previous productions. Guitarist Marc Ribot was the musical director.

T Bone Burnett Presents: The Speaking Clock Revue:

1. Elvis Costello - "Jimmie Standing In The Rain"
2. Gregg Allman - "Midnight Rider"
3. Neko Case - "Hold On, Hold On"
4. Punch Brothers - "Rye Whiskey"
5. Jim James - "Wonderful (The Way I Feel)"
6. Karen Elson - "The Truth Is In The Dirt"
7. The Secret Sisters - "The One I Love Is Gone"
8. John Mellencamp - "Troubled Land"
9. Ralph Stanley - "Lift Him Up That's All"
10. Jeff Bridges - "Fallin' & Flyin'"
11. Elton John & Leon Russell - "Monkey Suit"
bronxapostle

Re: T Bone Burnett's Revue /Elvis, album release Oct. '11

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW...just saw this now; COOL! love official releases from shows i attended.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... lo_1241619

Jeff Bridges Thanks Life-Saver Elvis Costello

24 August 2011 12:11

The Hollywood star met the British singer/songwriter at Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit concert in California last year (10), when they were both on the bill to perform.

Bridges' wife Susan, who was backstage, suffered a sudden allergic reaction to painkillers she had taken for a bad back - and Costello swung into action, urging the couple to call medics before Susan's condition worsened.

She was given several adrenaline shots and later recovered - and Bridges is adamant Costello saved her life.

He tells rock magazine Q, "It was a weird time. My wife had taken a pill because her back was hurting but she had an allergic reaction. Elvis said that the same thing had happened to his son and that we'd better get a doctor.

"He came and gave her some adrenaline shots before we went onstage while the rest of us were all there in the dressing room. If the doctor hadn't come, she might have died, so Elvis saved her life."
blureu

Post by blureu »

Does this signify the end of the Curse Of Costello?!?