Spectacle season 2

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Re: Spectacle season 2

Post by BlueChair »

Sheesh. What's with all the Toronto bashing?

New York is great, but this is a world class city too you know. Also, U2 is currently on tour so it's possible his was the only opportunity to get Bono in for a taping.

Also Spectacle is a CTV co-production and CTV is headquartered in Toronto. Executive producer David Furnish grew up here too. Come on, let us have our one taping.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Sheesh. What's with all the Toronto bashing?

New York is great, but this is a world class city too you know. Also, U2 is currently on tour so it's possible his was the only opportunity to get Bono in for a taping.

Also Spectacle is a CTV co-production and CTV is headquartered in Toronto. Executive producer David Furnish grew up here too. Come on, let us have our one taping.
:D :D

Yeah Toronto is not exactly some po-dunk town.

But you missed out big time, Adam!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/696293

Local U2 fans had cause enough to be excited this week, as the rock supergroup prepared for its two shows at the Rogers Centre. But now, as they count down the hours to the first show tonight, superfans must be bursting with excitement as more news about the band's activities comes to light.

The band filmed an unusual episode of CTV's musical program Spectacle: Elvis Costello With ... last night at Toronto's Masonic Temple. The event was separate from the rest of the season's episodes, which have yet to begin filming; last season's episodes (featuring Costello in conversation and musical collaboration with gifted guests like Lou Reed) were shot in Harlem's famed Apollo Theater. Though the identity of Costello's guests was not disclosed in a CTV news release yesterday, fans put two and two together, and lead singer Bono was greeted by paparazzi and autograph seekers as he arrived for rehearsal yesterday.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

NOOOO!!! TORONTO is a GREAT city indeed. we just want it in NYC! so glad YOU got to see EC doing one of my very fave U2 songs EVER...DIRTY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! i gotta hear THAT one.

and i'm in for MONDAY at the APOLLO! the only good day for me to attend next week. anybody see the rest of the schedule?

thanks for the link SAM and ANCT!!! you KNOW i'll do what i can MY night!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Just received an invitation to attend a taping on Thursday 9/24 at the Apollo for a taping of a season 2 show featuring Nick Lowe, Levon Helm, Allen Tousaaint, Richard Thompson, Ray LaMontagne and Larry Campbell-will be trying to attend.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Just received an invitation to attend a taping on Thursday 9/24 at the Apollo for a taping of a season 2 show featuring Nick Lowe, Levon Helm, Allen Tousaaint, Richard Thompson, Ray LaMontagne and Larry Campbell-will be trying to attend.
My wife are going, Christopher. Would be nice to finally meet you and say hello.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
lazylester

Post by lazylester »

Can somebody who has attended one of the Apollo tapings shed some light on the experience? I've got E-tickets for the 9/24 show and the tix say seating's not guaranteed. Is it essential to get there really early & wait in line? If you do get in, is there a lot of sitting & waiting between acts or what? Is there a bar? Don't get me wrong - there's no way I'm missing the amazing line-up in store that night. Just trying to get a handle on how it works. Thanks a million...
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

http://watch.ctv.ca/etalk/this-week/eta ... clip214161

Clip from CTV about the U2 taping - about 1:35min in
Last edited by scielle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Big news buried at the bottom of this account of the Bono/Edge taping.

Paul McCartney Once Gave Bono, U2 Pep Talk
By: Roger Friedman // Wednesday September 16, 2009

Paul McCartney and Beatles producer George Martin once each tried to give fledgling band U2 pep talks. Bono once fell asleep on Frank Sinatra’s couch after being out-drunk by the legendary crooner. U2’s producer Steve Lillywhite often prods Bono in the studio by saying: “How long is the song Bono? Why do you want to kill yourself? Do your job!”

These are just a few of the nuggets of inside info that came out last night during Elvis Costello’s interview with Bono and the Edge for the second season of his Sundance channel talk show, “Spectacle.” Costello, once the Angry Young Man of punk rock, is now the Charlie Rose of popular music. Brilliant!

The taping was held at MTV’s 360-seat Masonic Temple here in Toronto, under tight secrecy. For a week, the names of Costello’s guests were kept quiet, although down the street, at a local church, one pastor was preparing a homily called “No Line on the Horizon: The Theology of U2.” The Irish superstar band starts its world tour here this week.

Costello, trimmed down to a size that Kirstie Alley would give cheesecake for, opened the show by playing two U2 songs — “Mysterious Ways,” “Please” and “Dirty Day” — with his own group, the Imposters. By the end of the two and half hours, Bono and Edge did an unplugged version of their song, “Stay,” and joined Costello for a soulful rendition of the host’s “Alison” — a nod to Bono’s wife, Ali — as well as U2’s “Stuck in a Moment,” and a medley of Costello’s “Pump it Up” and U2’s “Get on Your Boots.” Bono also sang a bluesy number he once wrote for Frank Sinatra, called “Two Shots.”

“It was recorded eventually by a Sinatra,” he said, “Nancy.”

The real charm of the “Spectacle” shows — the first season is just out on DVD — is watching and listening to Costello in his bolo hat, black shirt and tie. As Bono said toward the end of last night’s show, “He’s good at this!”

Indeed, he is. The choice of guest helps. Last year Bill Clinton, Sting and the Police, Smokey Robinson, and Lou Reed were among those from whom Costello elicited more than just the usual chit-chat and banter. With musical guests from his era of punk rock, Costello is particularly fascinating. He may not know it, but he’s forming an oral history of an era that was never covered well in the American rock press — Rolling Stone just about ignored it.

And so last night we learned, especially from the Edge, about U2’s initial competition with bands like Echo & the Bunnymen, their influence from Manchester groups like Joy Division, and the two concerts that inspired them as they were forming: the Clash and, of course, Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

The guys did talk about how, at the start, they knew nothing. Working at the famed Abbey Road studios in London they received pep talks from both Paul McCartney and George Martin. “McCartney slid down the banister,” Bono recalls. “He said there were only good ghosts there.” The pep talk was mostly about having a lot of structure and being organized, Bono says, which only left U2 depressed. The Beatles, they learned, worked on a regular schedule, with an hour lunch break and finished by five or six pm.

“We tried it,” Bono says, “and we were in the studio that night ‘til 4 am.”

The Edge also tells a story about Oasis’s Liam Gallagher, overcome with emotion at meeting Martin, leaving before their conversation was over.

“Maybe if he’d listened to him, Oasis would still be together,” Edge says.

Costello’s next two tapings, back at New York’s Apollo Theater, are respectively, Sheryl Crow and Bruce Springsteen. It looks a like pretty good season.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

First of all, I absolutely meant no offense to the lovely city of Toronto. As far as I know, the phrase "far-flung" merely means "far away". Very, very sorry indeed if anyone thought otherwise.

Secondly, what? Have I screwed myself out of tickets? I had a little surgery yesterday and wasn't feeling up to snuff. Didn't check my email and now this whole ticket thing seems to have exploded in a short span of time. I had an email link to something called "1iota". Have any of you seen this also? I think I managed to get myself on standby status for 2 of the shows. That doesn't seem good! I can't believe I fucked this up! I've been waiting a whole year--trying to stay on point--wanting to be ready to pounce on those tickets when they became available. Crap.

If anyone knows a better path to these tickets, can you please let me know? It sounds like some of you were actually invited directly. I was not.

Thanks!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Not too late to sign up for Monday's taping featuring the one and only Ron Sexsmith (talking of the wonderfulness of Toronto):

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/news/default ... 33bb7:7350
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not too late to sign up for Monday's taping featuring the one and only Ron Sexsmith (talking of the wonderfulness of Toronto):

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/news/default ... 33bb7:7350
yes, RON is cool...have several cds. saw him open for EC in '96 (?) a few times and WELCOME TO THE VOICE premiere. should be a good night.
Ken(adian)

Post by Ken(adian) »

lazylester wrote:Can somebody who has attended one of the Apollo tapings shed some light on the experience? I've got E-tickets for the 9/24 show and the tix say seating's not guaranteed. Is it essential to get there really early & wait in line? If you do get in, is there a lot of sitting & waiting between acts or what? Is there a bar? Don't get me wrong - there's no way I'm missing the amazing line-up in store that night. Just trying to get a handle on how it works. Thanks a million...
Re seating: When I was at the Police & Smokey tapings, they issued tickets and seats. This was a bit of a problem as people would show up minutes before or late and expect their seat assignment. A few times I saw people arguing for their seat, which had been filled earlier because it was empty at taping time...empty seats suck for audience shots.

Re getting there early: So with these shows, there's no assigned seating, so the earlier the possible better seating. I don't plan to be there much before 5pm myself, but I will figure that out after the Wednesday show. In Toronto with the U2 taping, there were 2 different wristbands...one for floor and one for balcony. No idea how they designated that, but my best guess is by importance...fans being less important.

Re sitting & waiting: Yes they will have to reset and arrange after songs, different interviews, and to correct any issues. For example, Smokey's mic kept rubbing against his bling, so they stopped and adjusted the placement.

Re bar: The bar was open back then, but methinks it may not be this go 'round. Best example of this is Julian Schnabel at the Lou Reed taping...he should have been cut off. And there was a lot of 'going for another drink like's it's a pub' people, which was rather disruptive to the taping.

Hope that helps,
Ken(adian)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Ah! Ken(adian) - you were there - did Elvis have the 'tache for the taping?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

!
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Apparently I am going to the Ron Sexsmith show! Very excited! I am ashamed to admit that I don't know anything about Ron Sexsmith beyond his reputation, but that was my situation last year with Rufus Wainwright and that was a fantastic show, so I'm sure it will be great and I will learn a lot. I know--I'm painfully uneducated and unhip about many things, including music. I'm trying to evolve.

For anyone who might not have gone to a taping last year...I think it was the most fun I ever had inside a theater. You're really in for a huge treat. Wow! I can't wait!

Still holding out hope for the Nick Lowe show, as well.
Ken(adian)

Post by Ken(adian) »

Neil. wrote:Ah! Ken(adian) - you were there - did Elvis have the 'tache for the taping?
I was there for the U2 thing, but didn't get in. If you watch the clip scielle posted, all will be revealed :-)

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
gaywheels: Not supposed to be tweeting...listening to Elvis Costello interview Lyle Lovett. Wild!

gaywheels: Elvis costello isn't letting Lyle Lovett get a word in edge-wise

SapphireSwell: At Spectacle by Elvis Costello taping, and he is basically narrating rather than having a convo w Lyle Lovett... I heard a v loud yawn ;(

theirishgiant: john prine, ray lamontange, lyol lovett, and elvis costello playing angel from montgomery at the apollo. speechless

qbertplaya: Lovely evening with Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett, Ray LaMontagne and John Prine at the Apollo.
scielle

Post by scielle »

http://twitter.com/MFMGT
MFMGT: Elvis Costello. Taping Spectacle in Toronto. November 2nd. Masonic Temple!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

scielle wrote:http://twitter.com/MFMGT
MFMGT: Elvis Costello. Taping Spectacle in Toronto. November 2nd. Masonic Temple!!
Details?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

So I'm to believe that in three days time there's another Spectacle taping in Toronto, but no details about it?

Maybe this is the Paul McCartney one and it's a closed set?
migdd

Post by migdd »

This was just posted on listserv:

REPLY TO THIS ADDRESS: elviscostello@artistarena.com

Dear Fans,

We wanted to let you know about a special event happening in Toronto,
Ontario on Monday November 2nd at 6:30pm EST. In case any of you might be
travelling or happen to be in Toronto we've sent this to Elvis' entire
mailing list so you don't miss the opportunity!!

So, what is it you might ask? Well, Elvis is taping the final episode for
Season Two of his highly acclaimed TV talk show, "Spectacle, Elvis Costello
With". It is in a small intimate venue in downtown Toronto and attendance
is by invitation only, there are no tickets available for purchase to the
public. BUT, we have 50 pair of tickets allotted for Elvis' fans.

So here is how it works. EASY, REPLY TO elviscostello@artistarena.com WITH
YOUR NAME because the first 50 eMails we get back win two tickets, front
and center to the taping. Give us your name and that's it!! Make sure that
you can actually make it because the tickets will be non-transferable from
the name you supply on your reply eMail and photo ID will be required for
entry into the venue.

If you hear back from us, you are in, if not, sorry, better luck next time!
scielle

Post by scielle »

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Oh dear - never write something in an email that you wouldn't mind anyone else reading! Gulp!

Reading those blog entries, though - who's the actual guest on the show's taping? Mary Louise Parker is an actress, as far as I can make out. So who's the actual guest?