EC to release Secret, Profane and Sugarcane

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

EC to release Secret, Profane and Sugarcane

Post by migdd »

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... i-formats/

Extract:

Burnett has started a new venture called Code, which aims to do for music what THX did for
movie-theater sound: set standards that ensure the best possible quality. The first Code album, John Mellencamp’s Life, Death, Love and Freedom (which Burnett produced), will be released July 15th in a two-disc package: a standard CD and an audio-only DVD with superior sound quality that will play on any standard DVD player. The package will also include iPod-playable AAC files ripped straight from the masters, which Burnett says results in better sound. He expects Elvis Costello to release his next album with Code and is talking to numerous other artists.
MOJO

Re: EC to release his next album in Code?

Post by MOJO »

Cool, CODE format, so I guess it's based on a open AAC codec? 256KBPS - right on, more bandwidth for the music... I guess the codec will be released to anyone who wants to use it...Maybe there will be or is a licensing fee involved if you want to encode/decode in this format? I wonder if there is a deal going down w/ Music Giants - http://www.musicgiants.com - either direct or through a major label... I'd like to hear it, preferably in a room built by Music Giants, in Incline Village w/ a mtn. top lake view and lounge chair (the option to recline included)...
krm

Post by krm »

Hmmmmm, I hope they include some other formats as well. Like the new discovered powerpoint........

:twisted:
jmm

Post by jmm »

Sounds like the new Coward Bros release to me
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://stylemens.typepad.com/details__p ... id=typepad

Call this the summer of T Bone Burnett. After releasing an album of his own in May, the 60-year-old Texan is proving to be one of the business's most in-demand producers and, as the bandleader on Robert Plant and Allison Krauss' tour, a pretty fair guitarist, too. Matt Hendrickson

Q: So, is Robert Plant as much a rock god off the stage as he is on it?

A: He is so unpretentious. Out of all of those legends, he is the most ego-free. It's astounding. People get hysterical about the fact that he's touring with Allison instead of Zeppelin. They're mutually exclusive events. If he wants to do Zeppelin, he will. But my advice would be to set up shop in one city and do 30 nights. The rigors of touring are a young person's game.

Q: You've finished records with Elvis Costello, B.B. King, and John Mellencamp and you're about to start on the Who's next album. Is there a unifying thread with all these projects?

A: I'm interested in the raw, the truth, stripping away a lot of the polish. Take Mellencamp: It's a really different record for him, really dark. Let's just say there's no "Jack and Diane" on it. With Elvis, we cut the record in three days—boom, done. And the Who—we're still working out the songs, but my goal is to get Roger Daltrey to play the harmonica again.

Q: Are you competitive with super-producer peers like Rick Rubin and Daniel Lanois?

A: I love both those guys, so no, it's not competitive. We all do very different things. And I don't get offended if a band doesn't ask me to produce their next record. You know, it's never the band, it's the people around them who fuck it all up.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Damn, T-Bone Burnett is 60 years old? He looks pretty good. As for the CODE / E.C., bring it on!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Mellencamp's new album is the first to be released in CODE: his website ( http://www.mellencamp.com/?module=news&news_item_id=83 ) has this about CODE:

The album will be the first ever release in the ΧΟΔΕ (CODE) format. T Bone Burnett and his team of engineers developed CODE, a proprietary audio technology that creates high-definition audio files that are virtually indistinguishable from the original master tapes. The resonance, warmth and presence that has been realized with CODE is unprecedented in the digital era. The CODE version of "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" is a DVD that will come packaged with a standard CD version of the album, available at all retail outlets, at no additional cost to the consumer. The CODE disc is playable on virtually all DVD machines including stand-alone players and drives integrated into computer systems. The DVD's content can be copied into most computer music software including iTunes and can, then, be downloaded onto personal music players such as the iPod. The standard CD is included to answer all possible compatibility questions. Mellencamp commented, "When T Bone introduced me to CODE, it was a remarkable experience. I could hear the music the way it was intended to be heard. I'm very happy the people are going to be able to share this experience in a way that's so true to our original intent."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wonder if this one will make it on the next LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY1Xq-Rb ... re=related
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I hope so, along with 'From Sulfur To Sugar Cane' -- can't seem to find a performance on YouTube though...
migdd

Post by migdd »

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLoQ-Hq7LpE

Great song, co-written with T-Bone, is a sure shoe-in for the next album.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

okay...as long as we're guessing...LIFE'S COMPANION (crooked line) MUST be another shoe-in, right?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.bangkokjungle.com/news/ace-p ... ity-sucks/
(...)
To fix the problem Burnett wants his future projects, like the new John Mellencamp album he produced that’s due in July, to come out on DVD-Audio, with a bevy of formats including 24 bit/96 kHz WAV files, uncompressed 16bit/44.1kHz files, AAC, and MP3, so you can pick the level of fidelity that works for you. Burnett claims you’ll finally get to hear the music as he intended when he made the record in the first place. “It’s all part of what makes music feel good.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.indy.com/posts/9870

Mellencamp's high-def album is first of its kind

John Mellencamp's new album is titled, "Life, Death, Love and Freedom."
Thirty-two years into his recording career, John Mellencamp finds himself on the cutting edge.

The Hoosier rock star's new album, which arrives in stores today, boasts a high-definition audio format never available on any previous recording. A DVD player is all that's required to hear the technological feat.

"Life, Death, Love and Freedom" will give listeners twice the sonic detail heard on most CDs, thanks to CODE, a process developed by the album's producer, T-Bone Burnett.

The final result is comparable to sitting in on the original, in-studio performance, says Mike Wanchic, who's played guitar in Mellencamp's band for more than three decades.

"The idea is to bring listeners into the room with us, as opposed to just giving them something to listen to," Wanchic says. "Let them participate on a firsthand level with what we do as art."

The "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" package includes a conventional CD plus a DVD where the high-definition audio tracks are found. The suggested retail price is $18.98, but the album is discounted at Amazon.com for $9.99.

"Anybody with a DVD player can experience the better sound," says Jonathan Bender, senior vice president of operations and digital media for Concord Music Group.

Concord is the parent company of Hear Music, the Starbucks-affiliated label that added Mellencamp, 56, to its roster earlier this year. "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" will be sold at Starbucks outlets as well as stores such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

As the first artist to offer Burnett's CODE format, Mellencamp doesn't need to hope for a revolution in the consumer electronics market. Few listeners would have to purchase new equipment to hear the high-definition format, as more than 98 million U.S. households owned DVD players in 2007, according to Nielsen Media Research.

In contrast, Neil Young recently announced that his eight-disc "The Archives Vol. 1, 1963-1972" will be available only on Blu-ray DVD. By the end of 2008, 14.4 million U.S. households are expected to own Blu-ray players.

Burnett's format has the edge on CDs and MP3s because it features a higher bit rate, or amount of information conveyed per second. It also has a higher sampling rate of the source material. The standard CD specifications are 16 bit, 44.1 kilohertz. CODE's specifications are 24 bit, 96 kilohertz.

The sound is reminiscent of analog recordings of yesteryear, with a less constricted or "suffocated" sound when compared with CDs or MP3 files. Loud and soft dynamics are more apparent, and there's greater representation of high and low tones.

A generation of listeners, meanwhile, has become accustomed to hearing songs compressed for iPods and miniature "earbud" headphones.

"There's a ton of people out there who listen to MP3s that have no idea that they're not as good as a CD, and they have no idea that most CDs aren't as good as a vinyl LP," says Mark Kauffman, an expert in cinema sound for Indianapolis-based Klipsch Audio Technologies.

In addition to the CD and DVD, the "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" package includes MP3 and WAV files prepared for downloading.

Burnett and his assistants tailored these files for better sound than a computer's ripping software typically delivers.

"Ripping software just cuts off the top end, cuts off the low end and you're done," says Concord executive Bender.

Listeners interested in moving the WAV files into an iPod or similar device should be prepared for their size. At 1,600 megabytes, the WAV files are roughly 15 times larger than the equivalent MP3s.

Music buyers who prefer to purchase digital files from online retailers may buy "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" via iTunes Plus, a segment of the iTunes store reserved for high bit-rate recordings. These files are compressed, though, and lack the fidelity of the DVD's WAV files.

Will the prospect of a pure listening experience translate into increased album sales for Mellencamp, who entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March?

Jonathan Cohen, an Indiana University graduate and senior editor for Billboard magazine, isn't so sure.

"I doubt that the 45-year-old dad in Bloomington is going to rush out to buy this just because there's some cool new format on the DVD," Cohen says.

Nevertheless, Cohen predicts the album will land in the Top 10 of his magazine's Top 200 chart, and he credits Burnett's participation for heightened interest.

The winner of six Grammy Awards including 2001's Album of the Year prize for the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack, Burnett is on tour this summer playing guitar in the backing band for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.

Burnett produced "Raising Sand," the 2007 Plant-Krauss project that sold more than 1 million copies and won a Grammy for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals.

"I think a lot of people look to (Burnett) to nudge veteran artists out of their comfort zones a little bit," Cohen says. "That's never been more evident than on ('Raising Sand'), which has been an absolute runaway success."

Burnett has mentioned Elvis Costello as another musician expected to work in CODE on future recordings.

Yet part of CODE's future resides in the past.

It's possible to revisit analog tapes and prepare high-definition digital files, Bender says, and that's what Concord and Burnett will tackle with 40-year-old recordings by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

"The old records were fantastic," guitarist Wanchic says. "They sounded unbelievable."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 1316.story

August 30, 2008

(extract)

Code made its debut on Mellencamp's critically acclaimed "Life Death Love and Freedom" in July. The album came packaged with both a regular CD and a Code-carrying DVD disc at no extra cost. Costello's next album, due from Hear Music in 2009, will be released the same way.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://weblogs.variety.com/thesetlist/2 ... rnett.html

Variety

Sept. 15 '08

(extract)

During a demonstration of his CODE system that proved unequivocally the Beatles' catalog is in desperate need of remastering, T Bone Burnett also played two cuts from the next Elvis Costello album. Both tunes were dominated by acoustic instruments with Costello on acoustic guitar and bluegrass star Stuart Duncan on mandolin; it's a significantly different sound for Costello, a dramatic departure from the last several discs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

About 20 minutes into this show Jim Lauderdale makes a reference to recording with T Bone a few months ago as he was recording ' a acoustic album with Elvis Costello' ; listen again via this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bobharriscountry/

LATEST SHOW: AMERICANA AWARDS

A special programme from Music Row in Nashville on the day of the 7th Americana Music Association Awards. The ceremony, which includes awards for artist, album and song of the year, takes place at the legendary Ryman Auditorium in downtown Nashville. Performers include Tift Merritt, John Hiatt and Nanci Griffith.

In this preview of the Awards Bob Harris is joined in the studio by two key figures of the Americana scene - singer-songwriter Jim Lauderdale and ‘newgrass’ pioneer Sam Bush.

Together they reflect on the current Americana music scene, with Bob playing tracks from this year’s nominees including Levon Helm, Alison Krauss and Robert Plant and Joan Baez.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

(Craig posts on Listserv:)

http://www.musictap.net/

A whisper from way into the 2nd quarter of next year is a title from Elvis Costello (The Secret, The Profane, and Sugar Cane). It is currently scheduled for a May release.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Much better title than the originally hinted-at Perfect Secrets.
migdd

Post by migdd »

The new album also gets a mention here:

http://jazzchill.blogspot.com/2008/12/n ... -year.html
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Actually, I think Perfect Secrets was a better title! More memorable and I can imagine it in ads etc. 'Elvis Costello. Perfect Secrets. May 2009'. It's more snappy!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.guardonline.com/?q=node/51282

Crouch to perform on awards show

By Larry Stroud Guard Associate Editor
Published: Friday, February 6, 2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Dennis Crouch, formerly of Strawberry, will perform with the backing band for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss during the 51st Annual Grammy Awards show which will be aired live Sunday night on CBS from Staples Center in Los Angeles.

“We have a five-minute spot,” Crouch said.

Crouch, who plays upright bass, said he will be part of a four-piece band backing Plant and Krauss. Other band members are Los Angeles musicians T-Bone Burnett and Buddy Miller on guitars and Jay Bellerose on drums.

Plant is the former Led Zeppelin front man and legendary rocker, while Krauss is a bluegrass superstar. Together, they won a Grammy in 2008.

Crouch said the performers have not yet been told what time during the three-hour show they will perform. For the show’s starting time, check local TV listings.

Krauss and Plant are nominated for 2009 Grammys in five categories, including best album for “Rising Sand,” which went platinum (sold 1 million or more) in the U.S. and sold between 4 million and 5 million copies overseas, Crouch said.

“I played on the record and did the world tour with them. We went to 10 countries,” he said. The tour took three months.

Crouch said he, Burnett, Bellerose and Miller have also been selected to work on the soundtrack for an upcoming Robert Duvall, Colin Ferrell and Jeff Bridges movie. They will record the soundtrack in Hollywood, he said.

The working title of the film is “Crazy Heart.”

Crouch also played on John Fogerty’s, John Mellencamp’s and Elvis Costello’s latest CDs.

Crouch has appeared on Jay Leno’s “Tonight Show” as part of the legendary Ralph Stanley’s band, playing music from the soundtrack to the movie, “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”

He has recorded with or performed live with such artists as Dolly Parton, Steve Earle, Jerry Reed, Marty Stuart and Sweethearts of the Rodeo, among others.

Crouch said he finds the latest shifts in musical genres interesting, with a lot of rock music returning to its country roots — “they’re adding upright bass” — and country music going the opposite way, toward a rock sound.

Crouch is the son of Fred and Joan Crouch of Cave City and the brother of well-known fiddler Tim Crouch of Strawberry.

Dennis, Tim and Fred Crouch have all performed on the Grand Ole Opry stage at various times.
migdd

Post by migdd »

The new album gets an early mention on Amazon.uk. No new info yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Profane- ... B001RTCOZC
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Still reckon 'Perfect Secrets' is a far better title! I'll shut up about it now.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I like Perfect Secrets, too . . . as a Celine Dion album title. 8) :wink:

I really like the longer title. It evokes Woody Guthrie or maybe even David Ackles. It's got a mystique about it.

It would be fantastic for EC to have a big selling album but it's probably not going to happen even if he named it One Million Dollars Enclosed.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hee hee! Good point. Shame though! Gah.