'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Re: 'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Post by migdd »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:I can't really make sense of the timeline in that article: "One recent afternoon... he was a few weeks shy of relocating to Nashville, where he and his old friend Costello planned to complete work on an album in only three days..." Was the recent afternoon more than a few weeks ago?

But if they were determined to make the album in three days, maybe we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they really do plan to start recording it on March 31, as implied on the website!

It could even explain the release schedule, since the initial vinyl-only release would be on a smaller scale.
There is no way they could get the album recorded, mixed, pressed and distributed in three weeks or less.
Yeah, I would guess that this is a new Coward Brothers album and EC plans to make good on his promise to release a bunch of albums in a relatively short period of time with little or no fanfare.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:There is no way they could get the album recorded, mixed, pressed and distributed in three weeks or less.
The latest album by The Raconteurs hit stores in both CD and vinyl formats about three weeks after it was completed, so I can't agree that "there is no way" it could be done, assuming they really could record it all in three days.

That said, I should stress that I think it's very unlikely!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Enough with the speculation and chit-chatter, where's the pre-release, exclusive, 30 second sound bite that we can puzzle together and guess which song it is.. wee, what fun... NOT.. When is this released again? the 22nd? - man, just release it already.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's the board link to Amazon for a CD edition on May 6th.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Maybe the album is an acoustic-only?

I've always wanted him to release one of these, as him and his guitar shows off his singing in a way more 'produced' stuff doesn't.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Looking at the tracklisting, my gut tells me that this is some variety of "thematic" album.
( An actual realization of an intended "project" ? Wouldn't that be something..?)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not sure I believe the tracklisting we've seen to be accurate. I mean, where's it coming from? So far as I can tell there's been no official press release yet. I could be wrong, of course.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.aversion.com/news/news_artic ... s_id=10418

Elvis Costello Reissues Unreleased Album

Apr 01, 2008

Bowing to the inevitable, Elvis Costello will skip the regular edition of his next album, and just head straight in the reissue phase.

After keeping the better part of his early-years catalog dropping in and out of print, moving from label to label and slowly adding additional bonus tracks and demos to the slowly growing packages for years, Costello's upcoming album, Noodle Shop of Horrors, will only be issued as a Gold Edition, Ultra-Obsessive Master Version. The sprawling album will contain four discs (the original studio version, two and a half CDs' worth of outtakes, a half disc's worth of demos and live cuts, and a DVD that collects behind-the-scenes studio footage and two music videos). It will be packaged in a leather-bound, gold-leaf inscribed digipack. Each four-disc reissue will also contain a coupon with a unique code that grants fans the rights to reissue Noodle Shop exclusively on vinyl themselves, expanding the package with materials downloadable from the Internet.

For die-hards, an $800 limited-edition version is also available. Held to only 2,500 copies, each album is individually hand-numbered and signed by Trent Reznor.

"History's taught me this album will eventually be reissued in dozens of different formats," Costello said. "I might as well do it now and stop being an asshole about it."

In October, Rhino Entertainment will place its Super-Platinum, Fanboy Deluxe Gold Edition, Ultra-Obsessive Master Version of Noodle Shop of Horrors in stores. Plans for that edition include tacking on an additional CD of Costello's Easter dinner conversation and a DVD containing silent home movies from Costello's childhood, set to the music of his 1978 album, This Year's Model. A CD full of Costello's latest unbearable classical-music compositions may also make the final cut.

Costello fans are overjoyed at the prospect of another reissue from the singer/songwriter.

"I can't wait to get my hands on this reissue," Doug Scobes, a fan from Homecroft, Ind. said. "I haven't been this stoked since maybe when Rykodisc reissued My Aim is True with the bonus tracks in 1993 or when Rhino reissued My Aim is True in 2001 with that extra disc or when Hip-O's Deluxe Edition reissue of My Aim is True went on sale in 2007!"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

April Fool's!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Even I wasn't taken in by that!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

T Bone Burnett item quoted earlier-
He was a few weeks shy of relocating to Nashville, where he and his old friend Costello planned to complete work on an album in only three days.
If Elvis 'n T Bone are working together right now ( final mix of Momofuku/new Coward Bros. stuff?) , it's interesting read this extract from a interview with T Bone in Uncut ( May '08)
(scanned from print edition)

...which led you into the work you did with Elvis Costello.

Elvis has that same ability to go to his left and to his right at the same time as Dylan.
He’s got that lightning intellect. He’d just made Punch The Clock, and I think he was saying, “I’m just punching a clock. This doesn’t mean anything to me anymore.” And he went out solo. He called me up and said, “Do you want to go out on this tour?” I think he was looking for a new handle on things. So we just went out with guitars. He didn’t want to be a singer-songwriter either. I don’t know what he wanted to be. Probably Cole Porter, or Bob Dylan. Or both. The two of us were on the road for like two years. I would do a set; then he would do a set; then we’d come out and do a set together. I imagine we’ll do a reunion at some point. I’m pretty certain of it.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

From Billboard's Elton John/TV show article:

In other Costello news, his next studio album with the Imposters, "Momofuku," now has a release date on CD. The 12-track project arrives first on vinyl on April 22, but a CD release will follow on May 6. Here is the track list for "Momofuku":
"No Hiding Place"
"American Gangster Time"
"Turpentine"
"Harry Worth"
"Drum and Bone"
"Flutter and Wow"
"Stella Hurt"
"Mr. Feathers"
"My Three Sons"
"Song With Rose"
"Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve"
"Go Away"

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003784154
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Now that's something I can believe in.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Here is the albumsleeve: it's NOT a solo album, it's with the Imposters!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Is that C-3PO?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

It's either a lucky peach or a noodle making device! Or it could just be a smudge. . . :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well found! I rather like it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

That would look so cool on a t-shirt
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

sweetest punch wrote:Here is the albumsleeve: it's NOT a solo album, it's with the Imposters!!
Interesting how elusivedisc has that image and nobody else does. The man's PR sense boggles the mind.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Shades of Jake.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Is that C-3PO?
That was totally my first thought too
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

Elvis supports liverpool fc. Maybe Momofuku is code for "eff off momo sissoko", referrring to the erstwhile holding midfielder who left for juventus in the transfer window?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The sleeve -

seems to echo aspects of this 1958 jazz classic -

strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

This just showed up on Ebay. Starting bid $19.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123
Attachments
momofuku.jpg
momofuku.jpg (1.44 KiB) Viewed 37328 times
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In preparation for playing this I just got a new needle for my record player - 25 euro - yikes!

The child with the sticky up hair at the counter in Peats here in Dublin clearly thought I was in the wrong store and was asking for some kind of , ahem, marital aid, or something. However he asked one of his more elderly colleagues and, eventually, the item, a Kelvern Stylus DSC 749 , was found. They tell me they have five more such items left.