Getting "used" to Elvis' voice

Pretty self-explanatory
taz
Site Admin

Getting "used" to Elvis' voice

Post by taz »

So I lent a cd (Spike, it was the only one I had at hand) to a friend of mine who wanted to listen to some EC. He explained that it was taking him awhile to get "used" to the voice.....ummmmm...anybody else know what the hell he's talking about? Waits, yes, I could understand that, but Elvis?[/b]
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

he can be a bit whiny. he's got a slightly odd quality to his voice, i can't really define it. it's one of the reasons i love his music, rather than just liking it. d'you know what i'm talking about?

i have a friend who hates EC's voice.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Elvis has not one voice, but many. He can even use more than one in a song.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

elvis' voice isn't the standard rock, or pop, voice. it twists and bends. it changes like a chameleon.

it's part of the joy of elvis. makes it worth paying attention to.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

my friends and fiancee all say that he's too wordy and they hate his voice.

do you see what kind of world I'm living in over here folks?? :(
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i admit, it took me years to appreciate the voice.

i used to sit with headphones on and write out the lyrics to my favorite albums, so being wordy isn't a problem w/ me.

LTZ, it's tough, but i'm sure you can get thru. eventually you might even wear them down! time does wonders.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

His voice does change from album to album and from track to track, however it is always distinctive. This seems to be something that draws me to singers (Waits, Dylan, MacGowan, Bjork etc.).
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I love Elvis' voice. Most of my friends think he sounds like a muppet or something. I think it's great that (in most cases) I can tell what period of time a certain song was from, by the sound of his voice. So simply, I enjoy his voice! Ok...I'm done now! :D
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

My partner doesn't like his voice, or better put, his singing voice. He said he slides up the the note too much, and slips out of key a lot. He doesn't like how despite this, Elvis attempts some difficult songs. This is his words. I think he does the best with what he's got, and like some of the comments above, is very moving and personal with his voice, to very great effect. I must say I am greatly looking forward to his new album, but can anyone explain the change of label? John?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I must confess, at one point I do remember saying that about him - that his voice irritated me. That he really couldn't sing and that he obviously just built a career off writing and enjoying what he did. I don't know what happened, but one day it was like I got smacked across the face and I couldn't - still can't - get enough of the man. God, he could sing to me from now on. I suppose there are people who will never be lucky enough to get that revelation. Too bad for them.

And goody goody for me. :)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well lets face it folks - you either love the man or you hate him....and we all know which side we are on!! :lol:

I think Elvis's voice has really improved a lot over the years and it has mellowed along with his song writing - not so much of the sneering sarcasm. As the man himself has said hes not the greatest singer, but on some tracks his voice is outstanding. He puts so much feeling into them and really brings it to life. So what if he misses the odd note - who doesnt but a trained opera singer and even those must have their bad days! All I know is he is amazing live, probably the best song writer of our time, an no one can sing an Elvis song better than the man himself.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I don't understand it when people say he hasn't got a great voice. Compared to who, Sting? Ozzy Osbourne? Enrique Iglasias? Pah! He wipes the floor with 99% of the so-called singers aroung today. But it does get on my nerves sometimes though. Like the vibrato (if that's what you call it) at the end of sentances ('Sulky Girl' - aghhh!).
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

well well well..most people think Elivs' voice is irritating!! That's just the way it is.....he has a horrible voice...BUT HE's A GREAT SINGER!!!! Mariah Carey has a great voice....but she's lame as hell.....she just does creepy vocal gymnastics.....vocal masterbatory exercizes....ELVIS is a true SINGER....but his voice weird.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Wow, it 's facinating to read all the different points of view.
I truely mean no offense when I say that I hesitated for a long time before joining this forum and putting in my two cents. I loved reading all the comments and I still do but wondered if I would fit in because I don't analyze every particle of the man's being.
One friend says to another: Do you like Elvis Costello?
Answer: Yeah, he's okay. He's got a weird kinda voice though.
or
No, he sucks.
or
Man, I love him!
Okay, so the reason we're here is to discuss the man. Discuss not diasect every atom. The guys human.
I truely hope I didn't offend anyone. My comment wasn't meant with any anger that might be implied or construed.
I love his voice. It sounds beautiful to my ears. And I appreciate and admire and look forward to the variety in his work. I'm not saying I like everything about Elvis just because he's Elvis but I think it incredibly admirable to stick to your guns and not cowtow to anybody else for the sake of the freakin almighty dollar.
"...and if you still don't like my song then you can just go to hell"
Nope, he's not perfect but I like whatever he is. :D
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I sound so mean.

I'm sorry. :cry:
I'm not angry anymore....
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

sweetpear, don't sweat it!

you missed me on the last board saying "i hate Veronica". i do. HATE IT. others hate other songs that someone here LOVES. no big.

we're just here to discuss the man, and chatter on about other stuff because we've discovered we're like-minded people.

or we're too lame to get real friends. something.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Nah, Poppet. We're here because we're all intellects who are like-minded and we're escaping the inferiors of the world to talk to each other :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

If we're all meant to be intellects i'd better leave! :)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

No way, SLL! Don't leave!! I'd miss you terribly! :o

We're all intellects in that we are smart enough to enjoy the music of Elvis. Other than that, I don't claim to be intelligent in many other fields.

It's just nice hanging out here with other people who love discussing Elvis and life and love, etc. :)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

SWEETPEAR: No you dont sound mean - you tell it like it is! ^5
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

SweetPear - I certainly didn't make fun of my friend because he thought Elvis had a 'weird' voice, it actually just shocked me because it was something I'd never considered. You don't sound mean at all, and definitely glad you decided to join in!!!!
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

It's not a classically trained voice, for sure. But irritating? I don't know. I guess I can see how one could be irritated by it, if all you're looking for is a pleasing sound. I think it's an original, unconventional voice, and I that's what I like about it. Who wants Wonder Bread? It's a voice that reflects emotion and experience, and isn't that one of the reasons we listen? Maybe the irritating quality is something that forces us to look a little deeper for the art. Conventional beauty is easy.

I know professional, classically trained singers who labor long and hard to get a fraction of our man's emotion into their own singing.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

The very first time I heard EC his voice was one of the things that really stuck out for me, it was just so different . . .

Love at first listen for me, but then I tend to like singers with unique voices.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I love Elvis, have all of his CD's and still think that his voice can be irritating...20% Amnesia is a good example.....
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

oh, i love the way he sings in "20% Amnesia." you can practically hear the spit hitting the microphone.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?